New here - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Godlover
  • 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By Godlover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

New here

Hello from Iowa. I purchased an 05 K1200LT today that has a bit less than 7000 miles. This is my first BMW after having Ventures, Goldwings, Voyagers, Harley Touring, Road Stars, and numerous other bikes. Hopefully this is a great bike for me. My only concern is the cramped position of my legs. The BMW is a beauty. The only thing wrong is the center stand issue. Motor clicks but that's it. The weather is still a bit cool in Iowa so it will be awhile before I can start riding. I look forward to being on this forum.
mrokoboji92 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 9:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New here

Welcome to the best forum on the Web. Take a look around at the resources you have at your finger tips. Under the forums drop down is one called Technical files, you need to review those. Under tools is another technical area with likes to files and Hall of Wisdom. Then start asking questions, someone knows the answer.

As for your center stand issue there are a few things that could be an issue. It sounds like the motor isn't turning so it could be as simple a the connector needs to be reseated. There is ground wire that corrodes and that would cause your issue. Do a search for other issues and solutions. Until you pull it out take a look you won't know.
HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2000 R1100RT

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Welcome from Buford GA!

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 5:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
...My only concern is the cramped position of my legs...
If the bike doesn't have 'em already, these work well for me:

BMW K1200LT

Welcome to the forum.
mcracer likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 6:33 am

Being new to the bike, you do know the seat has two positions .
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
If the bike doesn't have 'em already, these work well for me:

BMW K1200LT

Welcome to the forum.
Ditto! Made a world of difference between rideability and leg cramps, but they will be the first thing to scrape once you really learn how to lean this bike.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 10:29 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Welcome aboard Mark. Don't fret the center stand issue I have a very low cost fix compared to the dealers $1,200 bill. The units are fully rebuildable and often a non functioning motor just has a corroded ground screw in side the motor. Will share more when you are ready.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:35 am

Welcome to the forum Mark. I don't know your inseam, but for my leg comfort (32" inseam) on long hauls, the Mick-o-Pegs work very well. Can put in a dozen hrs in the saddle with no leg issues. The mick-o-pegs are a different animal. Reminds me of a grasshopper leg. Only drawback is you have to get off them when riding too tight of a sweeper curve. But great leg extension.

You're definitely in the right forum for technical expertise. The best LT wrenchers around are right here.

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Last edited by want2tour; Feb 21st, 2016 at 11:41 am.
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:39 am

Welcome Mark from Scotland, hope you enjoy your stay

2005 K1200LT Trike Conversion
1995 BMW R850R
1975 Honda CB400/4
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:45 am

If your looking for a little bit more length for your legs I fitted Floorboards to My LT. I got them from the USA over eBay and they are very comfortable. The seller can do standard size or lower down for longer legs.

2005 K1200LT Trike Conversion
1995 BMW R850R
1975 Honda CB400/4
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and welcome. I bundled up today and took a 50 mile ride. I love how it handles and how smooth the bike is. I have some things to do. I will get floorboards that are lower and highway pegs. Need to fix the right heated grip. Center stand will be tackled later. For some reason the seat is ripping like it is rotted. This bike has less than 7000 miles so that's confusing! I bought it right so I can do some things. I'm going to hang onto my Electra Glide until I'm sure it fits right for me. Thanks again.
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 7:03 pm

Send that seat to Russell and have them build you a day long saddle!
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 8:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Welcome to the forum! You will find an array of information here. In fact, I just went through my first challenge during an oil change, but this group was able to put me back at ease!

Enjoy your new ride. You will never go back to anything else.

Love your bike, and ride safe.

Jerry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 8:49 pm

Welcome to the forum. If you own a LT then you came to the right place. A 05 LT with 7000 miles is almost to few miles and depending on how it was stored that can be worst than lots of miles. Unless the bike was started and regularly ridden with proper preventative maintenance to change out brake fluids and oil etc. it could have internal issues due to condensation and rust. Lets hope not and also hope you received the maintenance records showing the bike gained its mileage steadily over the past 11 years with maintenance being done. What concerns me is that you say the seat is rotting which may indicate it was stored outside or in less than good conditions. I would make sure all the fluids are changed especially the complete brake flush and put on new Spiegler brake lines concurrent with the flush. The bikes are fantastic machines but have to be maintained to avoid costly problems down the road.

Good Luck.

Scott
2007 LT
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Welcome to the forum. If you own a LT then you came to the right place. A 05 LT with 7000 miles is almost to few miles and depending on how it was stored that can be worst than lots of miles. Unless the bike was started and regularly ridden with proper preventative maintenance to change out brake fluids and oil etc. it could have internal issues due to condensation and rust. Lets hope not and also hope you received the maintenance records showing the bike gained its mileage steadily over the past 11 years with maintenance being done. What concerns me is that you say the seat is rotting which may indicate it was stored outside or in less than good conditions. I would make sure all the fluids are changed especially the complete brake flush and put on new Spiegler brake lines concurrent with the flush. The bikes are fantastic machines but have to be maintained to avoid costly problems down the road.

Good Luck.
Thanks,, I'll do a good check over. As far as I know it was inside.
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Welcome to this outstanding site.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #18 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

I've had an opportunity to do a couple of short rides as the weather in Iowa has been pretty good. Bought a set of lower floor boards off eBay and that helps a ton. So far, I'm enjoying the ride!
vernvernvern likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 10:45 am

jzeiler rebult my centerstand pump, etc. Superb job. Trust in him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in