Engine swap, or clutch work? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Engine swap, or clutch work?

Anticipating the arrival of a now 3 month old baby I knew there wouldn't be any significant 2 up ride time for a bit, and since I still had my f650gs which was my choice for one up riding. I decided to let someone else enjoy my 99' lt.

About a week ago while perusing Craigslist for my eldest daughter a larger dirt bike I made the mistake of searching BMW. I found a deal I couldn't pass on an 05' k1200lt with just under 100k mi. we came together on a price and I became the second owner. The bike has spent some serious time in the sun, but more importantly it needed a clutch and a battery, plus it has several cool accessories so I thought it was a fair deal.

I ordered an Odyssey pc680 which I loved in my 99' and when it didn't show an updated status after a few days I asked why? Back order. ... so I called around with little success then went to the net. Eureka! I found one 30 mins away brand new for $110. I picked it up that afternoon and knew I was in trouble when the owner had the same car, with matching paint as I. Sure enough he had bought the battery for his 03' lt which was partially disassembled. I mentioned needing some parts, and he sold me the bike which presumably is a victim of a damaged wiring harness. It has 130k mi.

THE QUESTIONS!

Both 03' and 05' have good maintenance records.

03' has 8k miles on a new clutch starter, seals etc done, plus new plugs, injectors/rail by a reputable local bmw dealer.
I've stripped the 03' to the drive train and frame with an engine swap in mind. Is it a good idea? If so what parts should I use from the 05'; ignition? Heads? Etc.

Should I part the 03? Or use it as a parts bike and Rob the clutch/pressure plate/slave cylinder/etc.?

Please no assumptions in your responses I need only factual, or experienced replies to help me make the best decision for me. Thanks! Dale

Last edited by superstan26; Feb 20th, 2016 at 12:38 pm. Reason: New info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 3:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Engine swap, or clutch work?

I am not sure which way you are going here an 05 with 100 K and an 03 with 130 K and you want to swap what??? Just put a clutch in the 05 and enjoy the lower mileage and increased HP. Do not swap the engine just to get a new clutch although when you do a clutch job you are just two bolts and a few wires away from an engine change. The 05 engine will have to have the 05 ECU, cylinder head and throttle bodies. Like wise the 03 will require the same components from the 03 donor as you cannot mix and match. The wiring harnesses are not exactly the same and the ABS units have a different orientation.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard reports of these bikes going 300k plus without engine work. What's 30k miles when it's well serviced, and has several new parts? Also I was under the impression that most of the hp came from ignition on the 05, I would run it with the 03'.

Bottom line:what's different engine wise from 03-05 other than valve cover color?

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 6:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, I would think about take the clutch out of the 03 & stick it in the 05. Maybe use the whole clutch pack from the 03 & ..And ..change to the new aftermarket "0" ring & rear seal after you take the clutch hub out..

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstan26 View Post
.....Also I was under the impression that most of the hp came from ignition on the 05, I would run it with the 03'.

Bottom line:what's different engine wise from 03-05 other than valve cover color?
Last generation of K1200LT (2005-2009 for USA market) had major engine changes including: pistons / compression ratio, camshafts, larger throttle-bodies (giving approx 15 more HP).

Hence, although they look similar from the outside, they cannot be swapped directly unless you also use corresponding Throttles AND Motronic-ECU for correct version / year.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Patrick. This was my original thought as well. Then when I saw all of the service with new parts I thought Hey! I can use the engine/trans from the 03 while I rebuild the 05' and ride this bike forever. Meanwhile I'll sell the rest of the unwanted parts from the 03' to finance upgrades, and parts costs on the 05'. I think this is the route that I'll take given sailor's response.
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Sailor, thanks for your reply. I didn't realize that you couldn't remap the computer to run the 03' engine in the 05'. I also didn't realize all of the changes to gain 15 hp. I was never really wanting too badly for power on my 99'. The moderate amount of power was one of the reasons I chose my first 99' k1200lt. I am a bit of a speed junky which is why I sold my super blackbird (if you can't resist temptation remove it).

I appreciate the time all of you took to respond.

I've never been one to back away from a challenge, but most of the time I do look for the easiest way to complete it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in