Need help with EBC brake pads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 1:12 am Thread Starter

Question Need help with EBC brake pads

2000 LT. Most sites including Motorcycle Super Store show the EBC pads, HH sintered as part number FA294HH for the front. There is mention on some sites to use pads for a 2001 if manufactured after 11/2000. My bike was manufactured 02/2000. Brakes are Brembo and the pads arrived and are nowhere even close to being right. Wrong size and pin will not fit through the hole.

What is the correct number for the front pads?

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 6:37 am

Re: Need help with EBC brake pads

This site's Part Numbers listing shows: FA246HH (Front, standard ABS, 1998 through 2001), under the Technical category. HTH.
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
2000 LT. Most sites including Motorcycle Super Store show the EBC pads, HH sintered as part number FA294HH for the front. There is mention on some sites to use pads for a 2001 if manufactured after 11/2000. My bike was manufactured 02/2000. Brakes are Brembo and the pads arrived and are nowhere even close to being right. Wrong size and pin will not fit through the hole.

What is the correct number for the front pads?
If you have an early K1200LT (1st generation ) with BREMBO stamped FRONT calipers, then the EBC part number for FRONT pads is FA407HH. See attached image to CONFIRM the shape and size of your old pads before your order FA407HH.

This image was taken from their online catalog at page 352 here:
USA_Motorcycle_Catalogue_2016

For further confirmation, check the pictures at item 12 on MAX-BMW parts catalog here:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...er=34117663764

P.S.: Another good reliable vendor who sells after-market brake pads is BeemerBoneYard. Currently they sell pads made by Carbon-Lorraine, but not the EBC brand. They will always serve you well and quickly - very good customer service:
Brake pads for your K1200LT: K1200LT (Up To 1/01)
Main web page: BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle, Used BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle salvage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT (1999-2000) EBC brake-pads Front.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	98218  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 20th, 2016 at 6:54 am.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I did some more searching and was final able to find a catalog from EBC although none could be found on their own site. The catalog does show the FA407HH as being the correct pads. I found a picture of that pad and it does match my current pads. The calipers and the pads them selves are marked Brembo. Thanks to all.

post #5 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did some more searching and was final able to find a catalog from EBC although none could be found on their own site. The catalog does show the FA407HH as being the correct pads. I found a picture of that pad and it does match my current pads. The calipers and the pads them selves are marked Brembo. Thanks to all.
The EBC catalog AND my pictures in previous post, both show shape and dimensions, so it should be easy to confirm that indeed these are the one you need. Unless bike was modified, all K1200LT with FRONT calipers stamped BREMBO on the outside, have an ABS2 modulator (no servos) and they use these same pads as described in my previous post (FA407HH).

Most of confusion arise because of either:
1) mistakes in catalog or parts-fiche when the transition was done to the IABS (with servos) having the other type of calipers (NOT marked BREMBO). The factory makes these changes mid-year on the production line, so you get stuff like "from 01/01" or "11/01"... a bit confusing when the owners says "well my bike was sold to me as a 2002 model"... but it was probably built somewhere late 2001.

2) To add to the above item, there is difference between the USA market and the "rest-of-the-world". We have members here from Europe / Canada who have the newer calipers with the new IABS modulator on their 2001 K1200LT. On the other hand, we also have 2001 that were sold in USA with the older type calipers.

3) Both of these types of FRONT calipers were manufactured by a different supplier, hence different design, different pins and pads.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

The sad part is I ordered from Motorcycle Superstore only after checking two other sites and all 3 gave the wrong part number for a 2000. A couple of sites did say if manufactured after 11/00 to use same as 2001. Mine was manufactured in 02/00.

I will return them tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in