Spongy front brake lever - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Spongy front brake lever

Facts : early '99 with 35k miles; has new Spiegler lines, new front pads, and fluid R&R last year. Stops on a dime, but .........

Issue : after setting a few moments, the front lever must be pulled in 2 or 3 times before strong braking takes effect. Then she stops like normal; lever stays hard, then goes loose again ( I know, sounds like another problem !) anyway, the fluids are good, no ABS lights, and no leaks. I use front brake 80% to rear 20%, while down shifting. So, any ideas ? Just live with it ?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Re: Spongy front brake lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
Facts : early '99 with 35k miles; has new Spiegler lines, new front pads, and fluid R&R last year. Stops on a dime, but .........

Issue : after setting a few moments, the front lever must be pulled in 2 or 3 times before strong braking takes effect. Then she stops like normal; lever stays hard, then goes loose again ( I know, sounds like another problem !) anyway, the fluids are good, no ABS lights, and no leaks. I use front brake 80% to rear 20%, while down shifting. So, any ideas ? Just live with it ?!
Check your front wheel bearings and see if they have any play pushing the pads back farther than normal.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: Spongy front brake lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Check your front wheel bearings and see if they have any play pushing the pads back farther than normal.
Thanks, I'll check that first thing tomorrow. Really using that service manual on this bike !

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check that first thing tomorrow. Really using that service manual on this bike !
The manual is indispensable. Check the adjustment and tightening procedure for the front wheel. If it is not tightened properly or if those bearings are letting the the wheel float then it will push the pads back. 35K doesn't sound like a lot to me but there is some age there.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 19th, 2016, 6:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Air in the line?

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #6 of 9 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 6:55 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Air in the line?
My first thought also.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
My first thought also.
It could be air in the line. New lines and fluid R&R last year so a fairly recent flush. That is why I recommended checking the wheel bearings first. Easy to do.

Was the handle like this immediately after the new lines or fluid flush or did this recently develop?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 9 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
It could be air in the line. New lines and fluid R&R last year so a fairly recent flush. That is why I recommended checking the wheel bearings first. Easy to do.

Was the handle like this immediately after the new lines or fluid flush or did this recently develop?
Wheel bearings checked good - no play. Pad position seems to be ok before, during, after squeezing lever. This only developed within last month of riding. Bike has not been stored over winter - here in DFW, I ride year round. Tks for all the info guys. Might just have to go to BMW dealer and "Bring More Wallet".
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Wheel bearings checked good - no play. Pad position seems to be ok before, during, after squeezing lever. This only developed within last month of riding. Bike has not been stored over winter - here in DFW, I ride year round. Tks for all the info guys. Might just have to go to BMW dealer and "Bring More Wallet".
Bleeding a 99 is not that difficult. Like my 2001, I just used the built in reservoirs and topped them off as I forced fluid through my new Spieglers. Bought a spare bleed screw to handle that front right bleed attachment there and the clutch but it was pretty easy.

Did you do the new lines or did a shop do it? You might already be familiar with the bleed process

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in