KLT Drive Shaft, Front U-Joint NOTCH'y - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 18th, 2016, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage
KLT Drive Shaft, Front U-Joint NOTCH'y

Taking a 2000 KLT apart for a rear main seal RR (54K miles). Pulled the swing-arm today. I need some opinions on the front Drive Shaft U-Joint "FEEL". Is a little center notch/valley normal?

It's not loose, moves evenly, BUT it has a noticeable notch or valley right in the middle, its present on both bearing pivots, seems as though it is right in the spot where the shaft lives most of its time in use. It doesn't hang up and no signs of damage or missing seals.

KLT was silky smooth last I rode it, 80 mph, never thought there was a problem till I hold the piece in hand.

I had a K75 I put a drive shaft in a few years ago, the vibration came through the foot pegs and the mirrors even blurred out. The u-joint on it had a serious hick-up on one side of the joint. This KLT u-joint seems very even. Not sure if this is RED FLAG or just run it till she breaks. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 18th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Re: KLT Drive Shaft, Front U-Joint NOTCH'y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracer View Post
Taking a 2000 KLT apart for a rear main seal RR (54K miles). Pulled the swing-arm today. I need some opinions on the front Drive Shaft U-Joint "FEEL". Is a little center notch/valley normal?

It's not loose, moves evenly, BUT it has a noticeable notch or valley right in the middle, its present on both bearing pivots, seems as though it is right in the spot where the shaft lives most of its time in use. It doesn't hang up and no signs of damage or missing seals.

KLT was silky smooth last I rode it, 80 mph, never thought there was a problem till I hold the piece in hand.

I had a K75 I put a drive shaft in a few years ago, the vibration came through the foot pegs and the mirrors even blurred out. The u-joint on it had a serious hick-up on one side of the joint. This KLT u-joint seems very even. Not sure if this is RED FLAG or just run it till she breaks. Thanks
Mark, The drive shaft is only sold as a unit with the only replaceable part being the snap ring that holds it in place. You can't disassemble it or grease it either as far as I know. If you are worried it is a little too lose, they are available used but you might be in the same boat not having it in your hands to examine prior to purchase. They don't move all that much so wear in that one point would be somewhat normal as long as it isn't binding. I will let some of the more experienced wrenches chime in on that but unless if is binding, I would put it back in and possibly look for a replacement later if it causes trouble as it isn't that hard to access. Just make sure you properly align the front and FD yokes when you put it back together. If it starts to bind up, I am sure you will know as on your K75.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Feb 18th, 2016, 8:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: KLT Drive Shaft, Front U-Joint NOTCH'y

Mine developed a notchiness some time ago and I acquired a spare low mileage shaft from e-bay. That was 40 K ago and it has not really gotten any worse but I will replace it next time I am in there (have a total of 98 K on the bike). U-joint failures on KLTs are very rare but they have happened. I look for dryness and hardness on the grease seals, if they look lubed and pliable I continue to use.
bmwcoolk1200 and mcracer like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in