Rear Drive Oil Almost Black at 600 mile service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Rear Drive Oil Almost Black at 600 mile service

I just drained the oil from my new 06' LT, and was surprised to see thah it looked almost like dirty engine oil. I read once on this site that its normal for a new rear drive.
Just would like some reassurance from the group, thank you? Other thing was I was barely able to put in half of quart of new gear oil (yes, I did rotate the wheel while filling up). Is there anything amiss? I thought it took one quart to refill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshenits215
I just drained the oil from my new 06' LT, and was surprised to see thah it looked almost like dirty engine oil. I read once on this site that its normal for a new rear drive.
Just would like some reassurance from the group, thank you? Other thing was I was barely able to put in half of quart of new gear oil (yes, I did rotate the wheel while filling up). Is there anything amiss? I thought it took one quart to refill.
Les - '06 rear drives are prolly not much difference in gear lube capacity than earlier models - and Toad, on the centerstand, takes .24 qt. at each change.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:21 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Do yourself a big favor and buy a maintenance manual. Either the official BMW manual, or the new Clymer version. It is invaluable if you plan on doing any more work on the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:24 am

Clymer rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Do yourself a big favor and buy a maintenance manual. Either the official BMW manual, or the new Clymer version. It is invaluable if you plan on doing any more work on the bike.
I have been wearing out my clymer since I got it about 2 months ago it is invaluable definitely worth the $40 to $50 investment. The current one covers 99 to 05 though no 06.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:50 am
Prodigal Son

Question Wow!!

A 1/2 quart??
I'd open the top hole and see if it drips out. If it does I'd let it run out till it stops.

Though the black color was what I found @ 1000 when I 1st changed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Les - '06 rear drives are prolly not much difference in gear lube capacity than earlier models - and Toad, on the centerstand, takes .24 qt. at each change.
Ditto

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red

Last edited by early1; Sep 24th, 2006 at 1:30 pm. Reason: Duh
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshenits215
Dark oil is "ok" -- the final drive is vented to atmosphere, and the moisture in the air is the source of the "dark."

A 1/2 quart of oil in the final drive is *way* too much! The capacity is .23 qt -- half what you put in. Drain it and start over. Don't worry about volume, fill it until the oil is up to the *bottom* of the threads of the fill hole. If you leave the level where it is now, you'll probably have oil regularly flowing out of the drive's vent on top of the housing.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 2:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
I have been wearing out my clymer since I got it about 2 months ago it is invaluable definitely worth the $40 to $50 investment. The current one covers 99 to 05 though no 06.
There shouldn't be much difference between '05 and '06, except the HID headlight.

I'm glad we have this site to share knowledge and help people learn to do their own maintenance, or at least have a much better idea of what to expect from a dealer. I know I've learned a lot, and I try to give that back where I can. Apparently it's working, as evidenced by the recent CCR awards.

But I am concerned that we may make it seem too easy. Every so often we hear of folks without the proper background tearing into their bikes and making a mess of things. This can be quite expensive, and potentially dangerous.

So just a quick word of advice. If you're not absolutely sure of what you're about to do, then put the wrenches down, back away from the bike, and get the proper help. That can be a post here to ask a question, a read through the maintenance manual until you understand the whole procedure, going to a tech session to see the work performed, or having someone come by and lend an experienced hand. If you can't be bothered to do any of the above, then take the bike to a dealer and just write a check.

Your safety just isn't worth saving a few bucks if there's any chance of messing things up.

Just my opinion, of course.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Dark oil is "ok" -- the final drive is vented to atmosphere, and the moisture in the air is the source of the "dark."

Actually I think BMW puts Molybdenum disulfide in the gear oil (or they use oil that has it in). In the new drives, which have the same black gear oil, they specify Castrol SAF-XO which is synth and extended drain. I don't know if it normally has moly in it or not. For refills, BMWNA recommends their synth 75W90. No mention of moly. For some years many have recommended a 3% moly additive like Dow Moly Gear Gard.

Jack Hawley
MOA #224
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:27 am

Sludge

The dark color of the rear drive gear oil is understandable, but what is it that causes the sludge buildup? I've noticed that mine does not have metal filings, is dark, but is also quite thick, sludge-like. Is this too just a result of exposure to air through the vent?

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice!

I miswrote when I typed about putting in half a quart. It was really about 1/4 qt., which is the correct amount. I must have been thinking about the tranny oil, which is a quart on my R1150GS. I'm getting the CD, as well as the Clymers book. I can do, and have done, many things on bikes and cars, and am looking forward to working on the LT as the need arises.

Thanks again to all of you!

Les Henits
Stroudsburg, PA
06' LT, 02 R1150GS and 01' F650GS
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack
Actually I think BMW puts Molybdenum disulfide in the gear oil (or they use oil that has it in). In the new drives, which have the same black gear oil, they specify Castrol SAF-XO which is synth and extended drain. I don't know if it normally has moly in it or not. For refills, BMWNA recommends their synth 75W90. No mention of moly. For some years many have recommended a 3% moly additive like Dow Moly Gear Gard.
One Tech at my dealer told me he believed that BMW added moly at the factory. I have had my rear drive oil analyzed at each change, including the original factory fill. Based on this analysis BMW does NOT add any moly. There was no moly in the analysis. The black is iron from the gears. My initial drain on my '06 was also very black with black "sludge" in the bottom of the sample bottle. The analysis showed very high levels of iron. Subsequent changes show less and less iron as the gears bed in. I'm now running 75W140 syn and future analysis will show if this is reducing the amount of gear wear and thus less iron.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in