Oil Usage Problem Solved..Finally - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Smile Oil Usage Problem Solved..Finally

Some of you may remember last year when I had my bike into the shop for an ongoing oil usage problem that started when the bike was new. She used a 1/2 QT every 500 miles. The first dealer said they found a cracked ring in the #4 cylinder and re-ringed it. Problem seemed to be better at first but then came back as bad as ever. Maybe I just perceived the problem solved because I wanted my new bike to not smoke.

I dropped the bike off on July 27 at a different dealer for a second opinion. This is what he found:
1. More bad rings in 2 cylinders.
2. Oversized valve guides...!!!!
3. All the brackets etc. on top of the motor loose. Presume from the first fix attempt.
4. And some sort of spring keeper or whatever on top of a few of the valves missing (My cell connection was in and out so I couldn't tell exactly what the service manager was saying).
5. Ignition timing 12 degrees off.
6. Many other minor assembly or re-assembly problems either from the factory or the first dealers attempt to fix the problem.
7. Oil all over the top of the engine and through out the breather parts.

The end result after the second dealer tried to order all the parts and me on the phone very pissed off... The Regional Rep of BMWNA has agreed to put in a brand new motor, it's on it's way from Germany now.

When they removed the old motor in prep for the swap they found my clutch slave leaking also so they are replacing that along with the clutch pack. All this under warranty. By the way my warranty expired in July three days after I dropped it off.

I don't know if this saga has anything to do with oil problems that others have had on the board but I thought I would post my story so that others may consider the valve guide issue that I had as a potential solution to their problem(s).

Shame on the first dealer for such a crappy job.

Many thanks and praise to the second dealer for a great job (don't have the bike back yet so hope i'm not premature). Thanks to Michlers BMW in Beaver Dam.

And, at least in this case, good on BMWNA for doing what is right and getting me a new motor.

Hope in a week or two my horror story will have a happy ending.
Sorry for the long post but I feel better having shared my story & hope it helps someone in the future. Later.....Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Oh ..by the way, if any of you could comment on the technical side of my story I woul;d apreciate understanding better how the items I described in my post would cause all the smoke etc. I have a good idea, just want to get other input.
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:07 pm

Good to hear you got it fixed ...

What dealers were they ... I'd like to know for my own needs when I have a problem.

Thanks!

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Oil

Sent you a PM....Didn't want to trash talk the dealer that screwed it up because I can't prove it.
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 3:27 pm

I'm wondering if the timing being off caused pre-detonation and hosing your rings?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:01 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I'm wondering if the timing being off caused pre-detonation and hosing your rings?
With a ignition advanced you will burn nice round holes in the top of the piston. In addition to aluminum melted piston particles embedded in the head.If the damage continues to this extent seizure ensue.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Had not thought about pre-detonation & rings....Thanks Grif
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Thumbs up Happy ending?

I'm sure you will have a happy ending now that you are dealing with Mischlers top notch crew over there. I have had nothing but good expiriences with everyone there, they are not afraid to think outside the box (BMW Manual) for solutions.
Have had several unsucessful attempts at dealing with that "other dealer" in the area most cost me more money than they should have and way more time than the extra hour drive to get to Mischlers.

Hope to see you on the road soon!

99 Champaigne over Silver LT, w/ Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in