Radiator fan problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Radiator fan problem

Normally on my '02 LT (and on the previous LT, a '99) when the radiator temp rose to near the top of the scale (stop-and-go riding), the fans would come on, run until the temp dropped to just above the 1/2 way tick mark, and then shut off. This cycle would then repeat if I was still in stop-and-go traffic.

Now in stop-and-go traffic the temp rises, the fans both come on, and run for only 10 seconds, then shut off. Mebbe 30 seconds later the fans will turn on again, run for mebbe 30 seconds this time, and shut off. In neither case does the temp drop to anywhere near the 1/2 way tick mark - it drops a little bit when the fans run for 30 seconds, but not much.

Anyone else ever see this? Under extended Pinnacle warranty - going into the dealer next week for diagnosis and (hopefully) repair. I'll let y'all know what happens then.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Normally on my '02 LT (and on the previous LT, a '99) when the radiator temp rose to near the top of the scale (stop-and-go riding), the fans would come on, run until the temp dropped to just above the 1/2 way tick mark, and then shut off. This cycle would then repeat if I was still in stop-and-go traffic. Bob
I have an 02 and mine come on like yours also. Drops to about the half way mark and then cuts off. I have not experienced the on/off thing.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Well, I got the bike back from the dealer today. It wouldn't misbehave while the dealer checked it out. Fans turned on at 221 deg. F coolant temp, turned off at 210 deg. F, back on at 221 deg. F, etc .....

Prior to this past spring, when I let the bike idle in my driveway until both fans turned on (and noticed how quickly they turned off), my cooling fans may not have operated for years. As you probably know, as long as you're moving, flow of air thru the radiators is sufficient to control coolant temp without the fans running. My kind of riding is such that I rarely get in stop-and-go traffic.

Sooooo ........... from now on, I shall occasionally let the bike idle in the driveway and cycle the cooling fan function. "Use it or lose it" may be the cure for this problem.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Now in stop-and-go traffic the temp rises, the fans both come on, and run for only 10 seconds, then shut off. Mebbe 30 seconds later the fans will turn on again, run for mebbe 30 seconds this time, and shut off. In neither case does the temp drop to anywhere near the 1/2 way tick mark - it drops a little bit when the fans run for 30 seconds, but not much.
Bob, did your dealer take the bike out on the road, or just let it sit and idle up to fan temp? I'm wondering whether the problem is a flakey/failing fan relay -- if the coil is barely holding the contacts closed, road vibration could be sufficient to cause the contacts to open -- something that wouldn't be detected sitting in a service bay. Although its a pita to get to the under-tank electrical box, you might want to exchange the relay with one of the others in the box to see whether the problem clears. (Of course, all the above assumes you've already checked that the problem isn't a physical problem with the wires that control the relay).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in