Help! 2007 Brake lights out, horn out and starter acting up! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By want2tour
  • 1 Post By want2tour
  • 1 Post By want2tour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Help! 2007 Brake lights out, horn out and starter acting up!

Last year towards the end of the season my brake lights and horn quite working. Shortly after that my reverse quit working. As for the reverse, it will go into reverse but will no longer pull, engine will not rev up. I have tried to find a possible short with no luck because the fuse on my brake lights and horn keeps blowing. Any chance one of the modules/relays has gone out? Any and all ideas would be apprecitated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Re: Help! 2007 Brake lights out, horn out and starter acting up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22h60 View Post
Last year towards the end of the season my brake lights and horn quite working. Shortly after that my reverse quit working. As for the reverse, it will go into reverse but will no longer pull, engine will not rev up. I have tried to find a possible short with no luck because the fuse on my brake lights and horn keeps blowing. Any chance one of the modules/relays has gone out? Any and all ideas would be apprecitated.
In looking at the Clymer manual, that is box 2 fuse #4 and supports the horn, brakes and alarm system. Does it blow when you do something in particular like try reverse or hit the brakes blow the horn? Or does it just blow when you turn on the ignition?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
In looking at the Clymer manual, that is box 2 fuse #4 and supports the horn, brakes and alarm system. Does it blow when you do something in particular like try reverse or hit the brakes blow the horn? Or does it just blow when you turn on the ignition?
Also, are there any additional non factory Farkles that might be tapped into that fuse?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Quote:
I tend to want to eliminate the simpler possibilities first, and it's always "divide & conquer" when tracing an electrical problems. Regarding the fuse blowing: pull your tail light bulbs and look for any shorts between the 2 contact points on the tail end of the bulb. That could possibly account for the horn/brakelight fuse. Just a guess. Seen it a couple of times, although it really shouldn't be blowing a fuse. That scenario should just kill the light function of the brake & tail circuits. The lead material can spread till it shorts to the tail light circuit, taking the light functions with it. Possibilities still abound.
The reverser may be a bit more complicated, as you then have the reverser conrol unit and associated relay, but see if you can at least get the fuse to stop blowing and see what's left.
It's a start.

Bob
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Last edited by want2tour; Feb 9th, 2016 at 9:52 pm.
post #5 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Should be fuse block #2, fuse #12 - 15A. It is the 4th position on the block.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women

Last edited by want2tour; Feb 9th, 2016 at 9:48 pm.
post #6 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Should be fuse block #2, fuse #12 - 15A
I don't have a 2007 so all I have to go by is the Clymer. If I am looking at this wrong, set me straight.

If it is a 2007, then the 2005-UP diagram should be correct. What are you looking at Bob? Posting pic of the page in my Clymer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn relay.jpg
Views:	1777
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	97833  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Quote:
I don't have a 2007 so all I have to go by is the Clymer. If I am looking at this wrong, set me straight.

If it is a 2007, then the 2005-UP diagram should be correct. What are you looking at Bob? Posting pic of the page in my Clymer.
The clymer schematic I'm looking at says 2006-On LT Models Frame and the schematic shows an 8 fuse block for both block#1 & #2, but fuse numbering is different from your illustration.
Look at pg 626
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women

Last edited by want2tour; Feb 9th, 2016 at 10:54 pm.
post #8 of 21 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 11:01 pm

+1 on the over-farklelization on the circuit as a possibility. I think bmwcoolk1200 pointed that out.

If there be farkels tied into that circuit, add up the worst-case load. It's a 15amp fuse. Too much lighting could blow the fuse. I doubt the horn plays too big a part as you aren't using it all the time, but you have to add it in anyway.

I haven't had the pleasure of personally troubleshooting such a malady. I'm sure someone on the boards who knows the bike better will post something more constructive. Meanwhile, I'll just study the clymer some more for ideas.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women

Last edited by want2tour; Feb 10th, 2016 at 12:19 am.
post #9 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 1:32 am

Quote:
Regarding the reverse problem, I would be remiss if I didn't ask:
#1-engine running?
#2-In Neutral?
#3-Reverse switch going fully into gear? (i roll my LT a little sometimes to help it drop into reverse)
#4-Any other gear or features not working? Maybe commonality would provide a clue.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women

Last edited by want2tour; Feb 10th, 2016 at 1:47 am.
post #10 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 6:51 am

Quote:
The clymer schematic I'm looking at says 2006-On LT Models Frame and the schematic shows an 8 fuse block for both block#1 & #2, but fuse numbering is different from your illustration.
Look at pg 626
Well look at that. They are not consistent for the numbering between those two pages. I hate it when that happens.

Are they actually numbered like the schematic on the fuse blocks? Now I am going to have to go out and look as i have never looked at my fuses

At least the schematic agrees with what is on that circuit so the brakes, alarm and horn circuits are still the things to check and anything possibly tapped into it as well.

Thanks for pointing that out Bob.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Well look at that. They are not consistent for the numbering between those two pages. I hate it when that happens.

Are they actually numbered like the schematic on the fuse blocks? Now I am going to have to go out and look as i have never looked at my fuses

At least the schematic agrees with what is on that circuit so the brakes, alarm and horn circuits are still the things to check and anything possibly tapped into it as well.

Thanks for pointing that out Bob.
You gotta watch the Clymer manual for errors. The engine oil capacity specs for LT are wrong in my book. The book specs 4 qts of oil with filter chg, but I found it overfilled on my first oil chg. I had to siphon out 1/2 qt so I could read the level in the sight glass. I have corrected mine to read 3.5 qts with filter chg, though I think you can maybe do 3.75 qts if ya want the level near the top of the sight glass.
bob
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Quote:
You gotta watch the Clymer manual for errors. The engine oil capacity specs for LT are wrong in my book. The book specs 4 qts of oil with filter chg, but I found it overfilled on my first oil chg. I had to siphon out 1/2 qt so I could read the level in the sight glass. I have corrected mine to read 3.5 qts with filter chg, though I think you can maybe do 3.75 qts if ya want the level near the top of the sight glass.
bob
+1
I've found the relays under the rear seat (on my 2004 European, post-face-lift bike) don't match the Clymer, and some of the wiring diagram colours don't quite tally either. It's still invaluable, but not infallible!

N
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 2:53 pm

Quote:
Are all your ground connections good? I mean voltage drop tested good, not just "they look good" good.
post #14 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Sir-

As soon as I hit the brakes the fuse blows.

Thanks
Jim
post #15 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, are there any additional non factory Farkles that might be tapped into that fuse?
Not that I know of. I am the second owner but most everything on the bike was factory installed.
post #16 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I tend to want to eliminate the simpler possibilities first, and it's always "divide & conquer" when tracing an electrical problems. Regarding the fuse blowing: pull your tail light bulbs and look for any shorts between the 2 contact points on the tail end of the bulb. That could possibly account for the horn/brakelight fuse. Just a guess. Seen it a couple of times, although it really shouldn't be blowing a fuse. That scenario should just kill the light function of the brake & tail circuits. The lead material can spread till it shorts to the tail light circuit, taking the light functions with it. Possibilities still abound.
The reverser may be a bit more complicated, as you then have the reverser conrol unit and associated relay, but see if you can at least get the fuse to stop blowing and see what's left.
It's a start.

Bob
Sir-

I have looked and traced all the wiring or should I say what I can actually separate and see. As for the bulbs I have replaced the one that looked a little corroded and cleaned the connections. I also bought a Power Probe Short/Open Circuit Finder Kit ECT2000. It goes off showing a short in a couple of places but when I peel the wiring tape/shrouding I can't find anything. I agree with your theory. I added a trailer wiring harness but I have disconnected it to remove it from the loop.
post #17 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

The add on could be an issue since I have added a wiring harness that support a trailer with LED lights. However I removed it from the circuit and it is still blowing the fuse. Guess this weekend and look at the area I wired it into and see if there is a problem.
post #18 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Quote:
The add on could be an issue since I have added a wiring harness that support a trailer with LED lights. However I removed it from the circuit and it is still blowing the fuse. Guess this weekend and look at the area I wired it into and see if there is a problem.
Good luck tracking that down. I would do as Bob suggested and pull all the lights out and then do some measuring and see if the bulbs being out stop the fuse from blowing. Inspect all the sockets and make sure none are shorted inside.

Some models have a brake LED bar on the back of the top case if it has the luggage rack on it so if you do, also look inside the top case to make sure no wiring is chaffed. You may be able to unplug that somewhere if the LED's have shorted.

Let us know what you find this weekend.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #19 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 6:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

One other thing to try is just remove the tail light assembly from the bike at the connector. The ABS unit drives the brake light relay so it is after the relay where your short is. Where did you tap in for the trailer? The wires are fairly light forward of that connector and if you accidentally did create a short you may have melted wires together. Start at the tail light unit and work your way forward.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #20 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Good luck tracking that down. I would do as Bob suggested and pull all the lights out and then do some measuring and see if the bulbs being out stop the fuse from blowing. Inspect all the sockets and make sure none are shorted inside.

Some models have a brake LED bar on the back of the top case if it has the luggage rack on it so if you do, also look inside the top case to make sure no wiring is chaffed. You may be able to unplug that somewhere if the LED's have shorted.

Let us know what you find this weekend.
Will do. My top case is lit so I will give that a shot along with pulling all the bulbs. Thanks!
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
One other thing to try is just remove the tail light assembly from the bike at the connector. The ABS unit drives the brake light relay so it is after the relay where your short is. Where did you tap in for the trailer? The wires are fairly light forward of that connector and if you accidentally did create a short you may have melted wires together. Start at the tail light unit and work your way forward.
Guess I should have done that first. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in