canisters rubber rubbing and cords - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

canisters rubber rubbing and cords

Finally performed canisterectomy, was tempted to cut open. Can anyone explain in laymans term how this thing works? My take is vacuum is introduced via throttle body nipples, any gas introduced in vent is drawn through charcoal and trapped.Overwhelming flow is bypassed thru rear exit hose? Having to do something I blew thru the gas vent, felt some resistance, burbling noise and then clear. I'm assuming there was some fuel in the hose.
Also changing the rear Metz, noticed some rubber on swingarm. Suspect left over from trip to Curve Cowboy,(2 up, loaded and sustained 85mph). Something I should worry about? I am considering trying the Bridgestone rear, I have Metz front which is almost new. The BMW tech said radials are specified up to 2005?, after that bias are spec. Is it O.K. to run the rear radial with the Metz 880 front. I'm wondering what change occurred after 05 that changed the spec. I ultimately would like to try the Avon front/Bridgestone rear that many seem to prefer. I'm interested in better traction/handling than hi mileage. BTW- I saw a scary looking pile of old tires at Curve Cowboy, major cords showing on a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:02 pm

Some people and most dealers go crazy with the thought of mixing tire brands and more so mixing bias/radials. I have tried many different combos and I like the Avon front(radial) and bias bridgestone rear. I have not heard of a good reason why they changed tires in 05. I can only reason that It is a better suited tire for the heavy LT. Bridgestone of course doesn't want to drop one its tires that it has paid for R&D and tooling costs. Just my wild guess...
Take a close look at the sidewalls from time to time looking for wear from the swingarm, You shouldn't see any.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in