New LT owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By jdaniel
  • 1 Post By rattler50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 6:08 am Thread Starter

Garage
New LT owner

I have been out of motorcycling for the last 6 years. I have had many H-D's, Honda's, 2002 RT-P, 2008 RT but this is my first ever K bike and I bought a project with 100k on the odometer. It appears to be mostly cosmetic but I was looking for any must do items that any of you feel you would do. I have a short list of a few mechanical necessitates I'm going to tackle over the next month before Michigan's riding season is in full bloom.

-complete fluid changes
-front tire (back is good)
-front brake lines
-all brake pads
-fuel quick disconnect
-fuel filter
-fork seals (not leaking but with mileage)
-service the damper

She has no leaks, HID headlamp, everything works (radio not so well but its a BMW lol). I wrote a letter to the PO as I was unable to speak with him as I got this one from a friend at a car dealer. I am hoping to get some answers on service history.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 6:59 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: New LT owner

You listed front brake lines buy if you are changing the front you really need to chance them all.

This is what happened to a friend a few weeks ago.

If the service was done at a BMW dealer you can get history by taking the VIN to ant BMW dealer. They can look up the bike by VIN

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 7:14 am

Welcome to thesite Jeff. I agree with Katnappin - go with Spiegler SS braided brake hoses. Also you may want to check / adjust the valves if you don't find it's been done in the last 12-15k miles. Spark plugs too.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 7:16 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks..
-rear brake lines

I plan on visiting our local BMW dealer Monday. I found a few receipts from them in the paperwork so I know some work has been done there.
post #5 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Garage

-Plugs check.. duh i should have thought of that one

braided yes defiantly.
post #6 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 7:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniel View Post
Thanks..
-rear brake lines

I plan on visiting our local BMW dealer Monday. I found a few receipts from them in the paperwork so I know some work has been done there.
FYI; Most BMW dealers are closed on Mondays.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 7:23 am

Quote:
I have been out of motorcycling for the last 6 years. I have had many H-D's, Honda's, 2002 RT-P, 2008 RT but this is my first ever K bike and I bought a project with 100k on the odometer. It appears to be mostly cosmetic but I was looking for any must do items that any of you feel you would do. I have a short list of a few mechanical necessitates I'm going to tackle over the next month before Michigan's riding season is in full bloom.

-complete fluid changes
-front tire (back is good)
-front brake lines
-all brake pads
-fuel quick disconnect
-fuel filter
-fork seals (not leaking but with mileage)
-service the damper

She has no leaks, HID headlamp, everything works (radio not so well but its a BMW lol). I wrote a letter to the PO as I was unable to speak with him as I got this one from a friend at a car dealer. I am hoping to get some answers on service history.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Welcome Jeff. What year is this beast and can you try and post a picture for us?

A service history goes a long way on these bikes especially in the areas of the clutch and clutch master cylinder as the seals in those areas can be troublesome. There is a troublesome O-ring sealing between the clutch basket and the main shaft that hardens and cracks causing leaks and clutch contamination. The community has decided that a Viton rather than the OEM Buna-N O-ring will provide better longevity and high temp resistance if you ever have to go in to do that job.

If you are going to do the front brake lines, do all of them. The OEM lines are rubber and disintegrate from the inside and can cause issues with the ABS system. Most put on Spiegler Stainless braided lines over replacing with stock and there is an LT kit with everything you need.

https://spieglerusa.com/

Make sure you go with the correct fuel filter as it is a high pressure system and i have heard of cheap filters bursting with non OEM and replace the rubber submersible lines while you have it out, not just the filter. It will save you grief later on as the ethanol now in fuels eats away and causes a failure inside the tank when the rubber line splits from degradation.

Pay careful attention to the gradoo on the final drive magnet when you change that. A fine powder sludge is fine but if you see any sparkles of larger bits then you may need to service that unit and at least replace the crown bearing. They fail in about 4% of the earlier bikes decidedly from over shimming at the factory. With 100K on the dial, if it was going to fail, it likely already has and may have had repair work done already. This is where the history also comes in handy.

Go watch all of Kirks videos. He has done a great job on lots of service and repair tasks. They are a must watch for new owners.
Maint./ Repair Videos

If you need to know about it, there is someone here that will likely have the answer. There is no better site on the planet for an LT owner so get her in shape and ride safely.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Garage

oops.... its 2002. I think I've watched every one of Kirk's videos and Chuck Harris ones on you tube.

And you right I am kind of hoping that "IF" it had an O ring issue it would have been addressed by now with 100k. It has some stickers from the Dragon Tail, Curved Cowboy, BMW international on it and GPS had some saved east coast routes so I'm hoping the first owner was an active rider and took care of his equipment. The last PO only had it since 2011 and the plates and all paperwork indicated it hasn't been on the road since 2012.

I'm just not looking forward to all the tupperware removal....eerrrr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0942.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	97777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	97785  
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 10:04 am

Quote:
oops.... its 2002.
There is an upgrade for the throttle cables and a speedometer mod for the 2002 that is useful. With 100K, they may have been done on yours. If you see two cable guides coming out below the throttles it likely has the better cables. If the throttles are hard to move, then that's the problem. The Speedo mod takes an error out of the speedo. Check the technical articles here.
-Kent
post #10 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOrBike View Post
There is an upgrade for the throttle cables and a speedometer mod for the 2002 that is useful. With 100K, they may have been done on yours. If you see two cable guides coming out below the throttles it likely has the better cables. If the throttles are hard to move, then that's the problem. The Speedo mod takes an error out of the speedo. Check the technical articles here.
-Kent
Thanks Kent...great tip I'll look at that after work today
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 10:43 am

Quote:
oops.... its 2002. I think I've watched every one of Kirk's videos and Chuck Harris ones on you tube.

And you right I am kind of hoping that "IF" it had an O ring issue it would have been addressed by now with 100k. It has some stickers from the Dragon Tail, Curved Cowboy, BMW international on it and GPS had some saved east coast routes so I'm hoping the first owner was an active rider and took care of his equipment. The last PO only had it since 2011 and the plates and all paperwork indicated it hasn't been on the road since 2012.

Buy a small right angle electric screwdriver (shaped like a small drill motor), makes life easy. i use a Skil brand but any low power driver will do.

Robert

P.S.: I'm out in Columbus if you need a hand.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 11:57 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

That's a nice looking bike, good luck with the project.

2000 R1100RT
post #13 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Quote:

Removing all the Tupperware screws is not all that bad once you get used to it and find out where they all are like under the turn signals and such. The recommendation for a small battery screw driver is a good one, just remember they screws are aluminum and don't get torqued, just tightened.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #14 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Quote:

The dealer out in Plymouth is open on Mondays, per there website. Nice store. Got a tire installed there last summer as I was headed down to Virginia.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #15 of 17 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 6:43 pm

The Tupperware isn't all bad. Just the first time you do it. After that. It really isn't that bad. You will find yourself timing how fast you can do it.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #16 of 17 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Well Kent I'm happy to report that it has the updated two cable throttle. I also spent some time at the local dealer and found it had a great service history. This bike was once owned by the owner of the dealer. So needless to say all the updates have been completed and it just had its full fluid service replacement this summer...this deal just got better!!
Munmi, bmwcoolk1200 and rsmith like this.
post #17 of 17 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 5:40 pm

I use a piece of heavy cardboard with holes punched in it to keep track of all the screws. Some are shorter than others. Along with the fuel filter I'd change the hoses in the tank, too and I'd get them from BMW. Good luck.
jdaniel likes this.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in