• 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By eelmgren

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

For Want of a Nail a Shoe Was Lost

ALMOST

Had a vibration that felt like an out-of-balance wheel. It quickly became a one that felt like a flat tire. I pulled over, tires looked OK. Put it up on the center stand and found the rear wheel was loose. The center bolt was gone, the others weren't even finger tight!

I know I torqued them the last time I put the wheel on. I've looked back and see there are several thread referencing loose wheels.
Does anybody use Loctite on the wheel bolts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Re: For Want of a Nail a Shoe Was Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
ALMOST

Had a vibration that felt like an out-of-balance wheel. It quickly became a one that felt like a flat tire. I pulled over, tires looked OK. Put it up on the center stand and found the rear wheel was loose. The center bolt was gone, the others weren't even finger tight!

I know I torqued them the last time I put the wheel on. I've looked back and see there are several thread referencing loose wheels.
Does anybody use Loctite on the wheel bolts?
Hey local I have not used Loctite on the wheel bolts.

Did you follow the manual instructions on how to tighten the rear wheel bolts? Going to post the instructions so you can reference it just to be sure you used the correct torque values.

Taken from the K1200LT repair manual PDF

Place back wheel with spacer in position against
rear-wheel drive and tighten all wheel studs
hand-tight.
Working in diagonally opposite sequence, tighten
the outer wheel studs to 50 Nm.
Fully tighten the stud in the centre.
Fully tighten the outer wheel studs in diagonally

X Tightening torques:
Wheel studs
Initial tightening ............................................ 50 Nm ( 36.8 Ft Lbs)
Final torque ................................................ 105 Nm ( 77.5 Ft Lbs)

If so, I will be checking mine more regularly.
beech likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Interesting, let me check mine as well.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 4:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I run different final drive ratios & mine only have 4 bolts & they never come loose using the BMW LT torque method.
katnapinn likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Bolts go in clean and dry. No anti-sieze or loctite. Wire brush them if needed. Unless a manual specs oil, loctite or neverseize you need to lower the factory torque by about 15% as these items act as a lube and change the settings. (no anti-sieze on spark plugs, messes with heat transfer and torque settings, okay, I had a hole I thought was gauling and I use the tiniest bit of anti-sieze once)
Patric likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 7:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

98 K and never a loose wheel bolt when following the manual procedure.
katnapinn likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2016, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, we have a guy in our local club that had the rear wheel come off his R1150RT at 50 MPH. He is an ATGATT guy ..He was a little beat up,..but he came thru it OK..His bike not so much... On his tire change's, He would put a little oil of the lug screws ,& just tighten them by feel..
The guys in our club talked him out of oiling the screws & to use a torque wrench after that

So, I helped him put new tires on his bike a few years later, & there was still a little oiley feeling in the holes..: I hosed the holes out with brake cleaner, We don't need it see him on the ground again

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #8 of 10 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 6:33 am

There is a guy in FL who always brings his 2003 here for me to service.
I had put a front tire on it and he wanted to wait for the rear to be completely gone before replacing. So a few months go by and he calls me, and I say come up the weather is nice. But he decided not enough tread to make the trip so he hired a local shop to do the rear. A few months after that he and his wife were sport-touring I-4 and the bike started to wobble. He only had three loose lugs holding the wheel on.

I am his only mechanic again...

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Beginning to second guess myself.

Maybe I didn't torque the bolts. The last time I had the wheel off was when I replaced the rotor. I do know I had the EBC instructions out and on the bench. Was sure I had the Clymer book out too, but then removing and replacing a wheel is one of those easy jobs that breeds complacency. I've replaced the missing center bolt and torqued all five. I'll watch it closely for a while. Was quite a wake up call-
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
Beginning to second guess myself.

Maybe I didn't torque the bolts. The last time I had the wheel off was when I replaced the rotor. I do know I had the EBC instructions out and on the bench. Was sure I had the Clymer book out too, but then removing and replacing a wheel is one of those easy jobs that breeds complacency. I've replaced the missing center bolt and torqued all five. I'll watch it closely for a while. Was quite a wake up call-
Erik, I'm glad you are OK. I think I have been diligent also but there is always the chance of a distraction. Because of that I usually check the torque at least twice at each stage.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in