Spotless to grungy, and all with a smile! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Spotless to grungy, and all with a smile!

The LT when polished up and detailed is a killer looking bike. Grungy, dusty and dirty...well it looks "ridden", but that's what we like about Beemers anyhow. Shows we're riders and not fuss budgets over polish and chrome, right?

Last week I gave my LT it's quarterly scrub down. You know, the cleaning where you take a rag with WD-40 on it and clean every last tar goop off the wheels and body parts. I sat back and admired it for one evening then convinced the SO to ride the Mohican with me on one of the last sunny days left. We turned to go into the park and found the roads had a fresh chip and tar. Told the wife "the he!! with it, let's ride". One hour later, the bike was returned to that good ole used condition.

Anyone else take their LT from sparkles to dust cloth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 4:00 pm

It just doesn't make any sense to me to wash a bike in Florida in the summertime.
It can rain at any given moment sometimes on one side of the street and not on the other.
I love a clean bike, it even runs better after a thorough scrubbing and polishing
but nothing will attract rain quicker than a clean bike.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 5:44 pm

Smile I second that

Seems to rain about every day around here in the Summer so I generally wait till Fall to give it a good wash. Generally takes about 15-20 minutes!

It is an easy bike to wash. Much easier to just ride.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:42 pm

Spotless ;)

I hose off the bike at least one a year.

I clean the windshield and mirrors sometimes.

And I clean enough off the rims each time I change the tires so the weight of the grime on the rims doesn't affect the tire balance too much.

I do envy the showroom sparkle of those bikes which are kept spotless but for my bike, what's the point?
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:31 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Well I guess I'm the OCD person here I wash mine every 6 months "weather "it needs it or not Had to put new tires on her so the wheels are clean for now

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Dirty is what keeps me attracted to the 1200GS. I love my LT, but it doesn't seem to just look good dirty. When I see a GS, I think "ride it in all weather, except snow". I'm getting used to the dirty LT though.
post #7 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Well I guess I'm the OCD person here I wash mine every 6 months "weather "it needs it or not Had to put new tires on her so the wheels are clean for now
Agreed. I like a clean bike. I do not clean it as much as my old HD but I do hose off the dust and clean the windshield fairly often. Once a year I will throw on some polish and make it shine a bit.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 2:10 pm

Hell, I left the cover off the other day at work so the forcasted rain would wash the bike!
post #9 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:26 pm

Alright now come on!!!

I put gas in it and ride it,,, now you're telling me I'm suppose to wash it too???? ...............Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:24 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Nope. Just ride it. Eventually it will rain and it will get washed then.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 7:16 am

Spotless to bug juice

Speaking of washing the LT, are the f-in love bugs mating anywhere else besides central and east coast FL. I road 441 to south FL last week and what a mess, Daytona to Orlando yesterday was not as bad but still very messy. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #12 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:22 pm

A clean bike is the sign of a sick mind

But if you need a quick make her sparkle look try a microfiber cloth and some lemon Pledge. It's a lot cheaper the Plexius and I think last a bit longer. We won't talk about using used Bounce Fabric softner rags to keep the static cling to a mininum..
post #13 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:25 am

Almost every week The more often you do it, the easier it is. Also a good way to check for leaks and cracks.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #14 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:24 am

I've had my '05 LT for just over a year. It took me 8 months to wash it the first time -- simply put, I was much more interested in riding it than washing it. I washed it the second time a couple of months after that, then a week later, and now I find myself giving it a quick going-over inside the garage if it looks dirty. It does get easier the more you do it.

My motivation?
1. I found it doesn't take me that long to wash it, after all.
2. Love the way it looks when I'm done.
3. (most importantly) I park near an '06 Gold Wing; that guy, a daily rider, keeps his bike spotless and I feel it's my duty to present a BMW in the best possible light.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:36 pm
ajs

Clean BMW!!!

Schisler
A clean BMW is NEVER in the best possible light no matter what it's parked beside.
post #16 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've had my '05 LT for just over a year. It took me 8 months to wash it the first time --
8 months - normally takes me bout an hour

seriously though, how do you clean it - I use Plexus & a cloth, all over, - wary bout using hose & brush, coz I don't know where the water will end up. Bit anal, but are you'all happy just splashing water round all over it ?

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #17 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Woolly, do you ride in the rain? doesn't that get water splashed all over your bike? I wouldn't soak it down with a hose, but spraying the bike to get it wet enough to wash with a soapy rag is fine. Then hose the remaining soap off, and dry. No problems here, the once or twice a year I get 'round to washing mine.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 22 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Bit anal, but are you'all happy just splashing water round all over it ?
I complained about having to blow off the water with my "turbo dog jet blaster", the wife went and bought me a peacock feather duster for the in-between washings. I LOVE THE DANG THING!!!!
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Woolly, do you ride in the rain?
duhhhhhhhhhhh never actually thought of that (honest, I'm not dumb !!) - just the thought of squirting water over the bike does nowt for me. - OK, I'll stick to cleaning it after every couple of long trips with Plexus

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #20 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 2:52 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I just figured you rode it in the rain rather than take the SLK out. Or is that what the Vectra is for?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #21 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 3:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Or is that what the Vectra is for?
...you've got it !! rain, plus 4 months of mud, salt & horse dropping on our local roads

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #22 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've had my '05 LT for just over a year. It took me 8 months to wash it the first time -- simply put, I was much more interested in riding it than washing it. I washed it the second time a couple of months after that, then a week later, and now I find myself giving it a quick going-over inside the garage if it looks dirty. It does get easier the more you do it.

My motivation?
1. I found it doesn't take me that long to wash it, after all.
2. Love the way it looks when I'm done.
3. (most importantly) I park near an '06 Gold Wing; that guy, a daily rider, keeps his bike spotless and I feel it's my duty to present a BMW in the best possible light.
Last time any guy made a comment about how dirty my bike was, I asked him how many miles he put on his in the last year. Then I told him how many I put on. His closing comment "I guess you don't have time to give it a bath." Here's your sign.

I'll think about a cleaning sometime after the end of October.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Oct 1st, 2006 at 7:26 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in