HELP STARTER RELAY NOT STOCKED ANYMORE - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By rickybusa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 9:57 am Thread Starter

HELP STARTER RELAY NOT STOCKED ANYMORE

Hi guys I recently diagnosed my 2007 k1200lt for a starter relay as some of you might be aware of on a previous thread I started with a no start due to bad fuel hose then a bad starter relay that I finally found under the gas tank then I tapped on it and now the relay stays stuck cranking by itself every time I turn the ignition switch on indicating that the relay is bad, anyways I can`t get this relay nowhere, my local dealership here in Tampa, FL said that BMW will not release anymore of this relays. so I'm at the mercy of whoever can help me with this. I really appreciate any help I can get from you guys. thanks for your response in advance.

I called a dealership in west palm beach and they said they show 7 of them in california and 5 somewhere else I forgot where he said. He is calling to check if he can get it but my hopes are down due to my local Eurocycles of Tampa bay not being able to get it they said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 10:11 am

Re: HELP STARTER RELAY NOT STOCKED ANYMORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybusa View Post
Hi guys I recently diagnosed my 2007 k1200lt for a starter relay as some of you might be aware of on a previous thread I started with a no start due to bad fuel hose then a bad starter relay that I finally found under the gas tank then I tapped on it and now the relay stays stuck cranking by itself every time I turn the ignition switch on indicating that the relay is bad, anyways I can`t get this relay nowhere, my local dealership here in Tampa, FL said that BMW will not release anymore of this relays. so I'm at the mercy of whoever can help me with this. I really appreciate any help I can get from you guys. thanks for your response in advance.

I called a dealership in west palm beach and they said they show 7 of them in california and 5 somewhere else I forgot where he said. He is calling to check if he can get it but my hopes are down due to my local Eurocycles of Tampa bay not being able to get it they said.
I would simply order it from Max BMW online. They will ship it to your door as long as it is available. For a 2007, I show the relay part number as

61 35 7 655 540 STARTER MODULE 0.09 1 $129.37

MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 05-09 (89V3)

Also, others have had this fused relay issue and have replaced the load contacts with a old style Ford truck starter relay. That could be a challenge with the relay already fused. Most who have done this use the existing relay contacts to operate the ford relay so the load does not pass through the BMW relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61357655540_1_B.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	97665  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Feb 4th, 2016 at 10:17 am.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 10:20 am

Quote:

If you have a 2007 model, I am assuming you are replacing the newer type BLUE starter relay as shown as item 2 in MAX-BMW parts fiche (scroll down a bit for a picture of relay):
MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 05-09 (89V3)

I have a hard time following what the dealer told you. This relay should be available - only the old type relay (black) from 1999-2000 models is N/A.
Please call the good folks at MAX-BMW in parts dept and confirm if they have it in stock - if so they can ship fast:
Drew Batson
603-964-2877 ext. 120
[email protected]

ANOTHER OPTION:
if you want to risk buying used - a very small risk as these relay are reliable, check a few of these listings on EBAY:
99 BMW K1200LT Tyco Relay | eBay

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Update: I found a relay in North Carolina and they said they can send it over. Lets see what`s up, I will keep you posted. Thank you guys.
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 10:27 am Thread Starter

I agree with what you say. Yes it is the new blue one part number 6135-7 655 540 and they said that BMW itself is not releasing any of this relays. that they have them on hold. That sounds ridiculous to me being a fairly new bike that they try to do that I don`t know for what reason.

the deal with my relay is that its not fused but I took it apart and the relay actuates by itself like if I was pushing the starter button if I turn the ignition on and when I turn the ignition off it opens by itself.

Last edited by rickybusa; Feb 4th, 2016 at 10:42 am.
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 10:42 am

Quote:
I agree with what you say. Yes it is the new blue one part number 6135-7 655 540 and they said that BMW itself is not releasing any of this relays. that they have them on hold. That sounds ridiculous to me being a fairly new bike that they try to do that I don`t know for what reason.
Unless you hear the same funny story from MAX-BMW (about BMW not releasing this part), I would stay away from the dealer who is saying these things.

Of course BMW corporate policies can sometimes be strange (and not always customer friendly), however I always try to get a 2nd or a 3rd opinion. I have worked in 2 motorcycle dealers in parts dept between 1976 and 1982. Since these days, I have heard many nonsense stories from both sides (as an employee and as a customer).

I am sure you can find a new -OR- used RELAY quickly ;-)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 11:00 am Thread Starter

You are right about that. I did call a dealership in West Palm Florida and the guy did tell me the same thing about not being able to get one due to the same reasons. (makes you want to get one while you can to have for spare) but for $130.00 bucks OUCH!!!!!!
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 7:51 pm

I have found
that all of the BMW dealerships Max knows what they are doing.
After restoring several vintage BMWs and a 1200lt they do the best job for online parts.
just my opinion,
Marty
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I would jump on the one in the e-bay listing it was a retro fit since it came out of a 99. I picked up several relays including a starter last year for $30 on e-bay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Well, relay just arrived, plug it in and everything is back to normal. Got it all back together and now wait for the weekend to ride. Thank you all for your help and tips. There is a world of combined knowledge in this forum.
Patric, bruce60 and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 6:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks for closing the loop on this. That always helps.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 10:09 am

will the blue relay replace the black relay on a '99 as opposed to doing the "kit" upgrade?

Bruce - pilot, Belynda - pillion
Oak Park, CA.
'99 K1200LT Champagne, 28,500mi
'04 R1150R Silver, 18,900 mi
'12 R1200RT Beige, 28,400 mi (sold 4/19)
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce60 View Post
will the blue relay replace the black relay on a '99 as opposed to doing the "kit" upgrade?
No, there is a new small wiring harness that comes with the kit to allow connections that allow the low voltage cut out to keep the relay from engaging if the battery voltage is below a certain point which is what causes the old style relay to fuse shut.

If you go the Ford relay route, you should use the original relay to fire the Ford relay because the feed wire to the relay is light gauge and the current draw of the ford relay to close is 2A, much more than the stock relay and it can overheat and melt the wire especially in longer use like running reverse.

If you don't want to do the kit, Beamer Boneyard sells a stock relay to replace the original but it has the same issue with low battery cranking and the contacts fusing.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in