5Likes
  • 2 Post By jwacree
  • 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 2 Post By cealbrecht

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

3 wheeled vaporware

Thinking of trading in my Gerbings.

Just shy of 100,000 miles on my beloved 2000 K1200LT. This bike has taken me and the World's Greatest Pillion Rider across the country east coast to west, south on the Blue Ridge to Florida, to Nova Scotia and Gaspe', and countless hours of cranking the Green Mountain passes, the White Mountains of NH, the Kangamagus (The Kanc), the Adironadaks and Catskills.

It is a touring bike with sport bike characteristics without equal. (IMO)

I wonder what touring in a thing like this would be? So far, with repeated delays in expected production dates, skeptics abound. But...even so, the thing appeals to me.

What say you?

Elio Motors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 12:54 pm

Re: 3 wheeled vaporware

You know what caught my attention right away was the fact that they make their own engine. Whoa, that needs some shake out. I would not be a beta tester here. There are alternatives to keep on the road. I'd give this one a year or so. I suspect you have looked at the Polaris one.
Polaris Slingshot First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver
Even this unit is having a few teething problems but is shaking out and offers more of the motorcycle exposure feel.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 12:57 pm

Garage

Wait,,, let me put my flame suite on,,, OK

I put my name in the hat, if they ever build the thang I'll buy one. I don't know what I'm going do with it, I just want one. Looks like fun for not much money. My Elio # is 4287 I'm all in, even bought stock.

I think I'll leave the flame suite on for a while.
CharlieVT and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 1:18 pm

Serious hijack here. These vehicles are coming. We all see the Spider and other three wheel bikes out there. I found one for a city car that seems interesting and shows how main stream these will be. (just go to Asia or Southern Europe and look at all the three wheel vehicles.
The link is to Toyota's three wheel electric city vehicle.
For the road, I still like the Polaris unit.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 3:06 pm

If it came in a convertible model it might be ok. Not a bike, but maybe an option when I can no longer get the leg over the saddle.

post #6 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Encouraging video for potential 3-wheel investors

Hilarious:
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 5:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a modern day Messerschmitt....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #8 of 13 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 7:10 pm

Its shape reminds me of a coffin. At least if I get whacked on the bike I'll get to ride in a big ambulance. In that thing they can just pick the whole thing up and plant you right in it. If I'm going to be in a cage I want some size and steel around me.

Scott
2007 LT
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Clearly the Elio isn't a motorcycle. None of the three wheelers are. Only a side hack making a left hand turn can lean into the turn. I view the balancing of a motorcyle between the forces of gravity and centrifugal as central to the motorcycling experience. When cornering on a motorcycle, the sum vector of gravity and centrifugal forces keeps you one with the bike.
The Toyota iRoad, posted above, might come close, but in all conventional 3-wheelers centrifugal forces are going to force your body sideways in a turn, rather than down into your seat as on a motorcycle. This has to be true for trike conversions, the Polaris SlingShot, CanAm Spyder, etc.

For me, it is this aspect of motorcycling dynamics that is central to the experience, more than being out in the wind. Frankly, riding the K1200lt with helment, gloves, boots, AeroStitch, behind that great fairing and windscreen, isn't the "bugs in the teeth" motorcyling experience that so many Harley riders enjoy in helment free states. If you want open air, here's your motorcyle ride: a short sleeve, do-rag, no helmet putt-putt down the road. (I can't do that anymore, road rash scares the crap out of me.)

For handling, comfort, performance, luggage capacity, pillion comfort, sportability, there is still nothing as good as the BMW K1200LT. The GL1800 and the K1600GT(L) are fine offerings, but the K1200LT is still in a class by itself.

All that said, I want an Elio. Yeah, its a car. Front wheel drive. Heat and air conditioning. Airbags. Roll cage. No, it won't be as safe as driving a Hummer, vehicle safety isn't the main consideration here. The argument that I wouldn't have an Elio because it isn't as safe as a conventional car, but I do ride ride a motorcyle, is a pretty specious argument.

Why I find the Elio intriguing more than other three wheelers: Reportedly going to be cheap. Looks fun to drive. Sometimes when I'm planning on a quick outing, I can't be bothered with gearing up for a motorcycle. I am really hopeful that 2016 is going to be the year the Elio comes to market. I am watching with great interest and enthusiasm.
The Polaris Slingshot is rear wheel drive; imagine a single rear wheel drive in these conditions:
jwacree likes this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Feb 4th, 2016 at 6:52 am.
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 7:13 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Clearly the Elio isn't a motorcycle. None of the three wheelers are. Only a side hack making a left hand turn can lean into the turn. I view the balancing of a motorcyle between the forces of gravity and centrifugal as central to the motorcycling experience. When cornering on a motorcycle, the sum vector of gravity and centrifugal forces keeps you one with the bike.
The Toyota iRoad, posted above, might come close, but in all conventional 3-wheelers centrifugal forces are going to force your body sideways in a turn, rather than down into your seat as on a motorcycle. This has to be true for trike conversions, the Polaris SlingShot, CanAm Spyder, etc.
So if these aren't motorcycles, what are they? Cars? If that's the case, what do you classify a four wheel ATV as?

I think you're alone in this definition. I would venture to guess that most people consider a motorcycle as a vehicle that you sit on top of and a car is something you get into. Simple as that.

2000 R1100RT
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

The wife has more physical challenges than I do, so getting her in and out of the back seat would probably be a deal breaker. Looks cool though. When 2 wheels is no longer viable, the Can Am still looks like the top candidate to me.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 9:36 am

Check out the "instatrike" from Tow-Pac

You won't even have to get rid of your K1200LT. I am considering one myself as I am 69 years old now and the old girl seems to be getting exponentially heavier as I age. The device is quickly (5 minutes) removable for two wheeling and just as fast to go back to trike mode...

Demo video

1983 R100 Airhead & Velorex 562 Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (SOLD! ...just too darn tall for me!)
1999 R1100RT-P (SOLD!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (SOLD!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2016, 7:34 pm

I've had a $100 reservation for 3 years now. I've even purchased some of their stock. I have wanted a cheap vehicle that can get 60+mpg since the day my 1985 Honda CRX HF died in 1992. I don't care to be the first guy to figure out if the Elio is a lemon, so I'll read the reviews and take delivery at the end of the first production year....or ask for my money back. I believe the Elio will sell very well even if they miss their price target by $3k and the mileage target by 20mpg. Time will tell. I plan to use it as my business commuter when my trip duration will be unknown, otherwise....I'll continue to ride Tickets until she gives up.
CharlieVT and jwacree like this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in