First oil leak. Metal in rear diff - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Why aint we riding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

First oil leak. Metal in rear diff

Y2k just ready to roll over 90k miles. I've had for 9yrs and 70k miles with no real issue. Have been watching the rear diff as at the beginning of last season I found some bearing material for the 1st time. I took it To Austin Tx and to the Smokies last summer and have no noise or play in diff yet. But do think something is going on in there as have found some more metal. Warm temps in Indiana yesterday so I was going to fire it up for a ride and found a puddle of oil under it. Oil appears to be coming out where engine case extension bolts to trans. Clutch is not slipping. Sounds like I may be doing my 1st big tear down. May be interested in sending my diff to someone with the knowledge to do the rebuild for me or would buy a known good one if somebody has one. Thanks Bernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 12:59 pm

Re: First oil leak. Metal in rear diff

Sounds like a rear main seal; a common issue on the older LTs. This is a major tear down, but there is a LOT of good information (detailed directions, and even parts lists) here on the site.

Will need to do the clutch, since you have most likely contaminated it with oil. When I did my rear main seal, I also replaced the clutch slave, since I was in there.

I have attached a great document put together by Kenny Crawford (BlauBeeMr). He used the information he learned on this site, to compile into a single source.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Changing a Main Seal and Clutch Slave Cylinder Guide K1200LT.pdf (3.87 MB, 357 views)

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm View Post
Y2k just ready to roll over 90k miles. I've had for 9yrs and 70k miles with no real issue. Have been watching the rear diff as at the beginning of last season I found some bearing material for the 1st time. I took it To Austin Tx and to the Smokies last summer and have no noise or play in diff yet. But do think something is going on in there as have found some more metal. Warm temps in Indiana yesterday so I was going to fire it up for a ride and found a puddle of oil under it. Oil appears to be coming out where engine case extension bolts to trans. Clutch is not slipping. Sounds like I may be doing my 1st big tear down. May be interested in sending my diff to someone with the knowledge to do the rebuild for me or would buy a known good one if somebody has one. Thanks Bernie
Saddleman is the go-to man for final drive repairs.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Bernie, Check with Saddleman on the FD rebuild.

On the other oil issue, it does sound like you are experiencing the dreaded O-ring failure. Just did it myself. It is an exercise in patience and documentation. A lift and a couple spare hands will make things easier. At 90K, I would be expecting to replace all 4 clutch parts. Friction disk, diaphragm spring, clutch plate and clutch cover plus any seals you care to do along the way with that Viton O-ring.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #5 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I will be doing this myself. I done a lot of automotive rear diffs but think I may let Saddleman do this when I get the ambition to tear it a part.
post #6 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 3:25 pm

It is pretty amazing how many folks older K bikes are all showing rear main (O-ring) failure this winter. Here is a thread with lots of good information on the job ahead of you. Be prepared for lots of little things, crank case vent hose, intake seals, rear pivot bearings, transmission seals all around you name it.
Send me your address and I'll send you a 19x4 Viton oring, the problem item (free). Think long and hard about changing the main crank seal, a judgement call.
GregRS's journey into seal territory - I-BMW.com

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #7 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
It is pretty amazing how many folks older K bikes are all showing rear main (O-ring) failure this winter. Here is a thread with lots of good information on the job ahead of you. Be prepared for lots of little things, crank case vent hose, intake seals, rear pivot bearings, transmission seals all around you name it.
Send me your address and I'll send you a 19x4 Viton oring, the problem item (free). Think long and hard about changing the main crank seal, a judgement call.
GregRS's journey into seal territory - I-BMW.com
Beech, I should just send you my spare O-rings and let you hand them out. I bought a bag of 10 and used only the one.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 17 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 6:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

A puddle of oil is not always going to cause a clutch to slip. When the o-ring goes hard and cracks it is almost a guarantee the clutch is going as it dumps oil inside the clutch basket. But a rear main leak dumps oil outside the clutch basket. Unless the housing fills up with oil the clutch is relatively safe. Given the age and mileage I believe you are looking at a clutch job.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 11:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Out of curiosity, are you running synthetic motor oil?

post #10 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 1:58 pm

I will have one very soon. Will be installing a trike kit on my 2009 LT and will not need the diff. Cecil at (318) 541-3257
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5lo View Post
I will have one very soon. Will be installing a trike kit on my 2009 LT and will not need the diff. Cecil at (318) 541-3257
a 2009 FD doesn't have the hole for the speed sensor. I think he mentioned he had a Y2K.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

No. I used The BMW oil and then switched to Lucas 20w50 traditional
post #13 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Well I Emailed my local dealer and he said $2k to do clutch and rear main with slave cylinder. I did not tell them about possible diff issues. I just don't know if I want to spend this much time on the floor doing this repair myself. I'm still very happy with this bike and was planning on keeping it for a while but it is 16yrs old.
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Well I Emailed my local dealer and he said $2k to do clutch and rear main with slave cylinder. I did not tell them about possible diff issues. I just don't know if I want to spend this much time on the floor doing this repair myself. I'm still very happy with this bike and was planning on keeping it for a while but it is 16yrs old.
That's actually why I got rid of my '01, for my GTL. When I got rid of the '01, it was 13 years old. Parts in stock (at my) dealer were starting to be an issue, and I knew with an old discontinued bike, it was only going to become harder...

Anyway - that's how I reasoned it all in my mind after test driving the GTL.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #15 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

So I was looking at that seal set up. It appears that o ring failure at flywheel is more then likely caused by the rear main seal starting to leak. Am I right in thinking that the o ring is just kind of a secondary seal for the rear main. Where I'm getting here is this leak may seem bad at first because of the oil built up between the seals and since it does not effect the clutch at least not yet. Since I'm dealing with an old bike with the only real value being to me why don't I just try some engine stop leak that's kind of made for rear main seal leaks and ride on for now.
post #16 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 6:02 pm

Quote:
So I was looking at that seal set up. It appears that o ring failure at flywheel is more then likely caused by the rear main seal starting to leak. Am I right in thinking that the o ring is just kind of a secondary seal for the rear main. Where I'm getting here is this leak may seem bad at first because of the oil built up between the seals and since it does not effect the clutch at least not yet. Since I'm dealing with an old bike with the only real value being to me why don't I just try some engine stop leak that's kind of made for rear main seal leaks and ride on for now.
They are two totally separate seals. The main seal is Teflon and is a rotational seal between the block and the clutch basket. The O-ring is a stationary seal that only seals between the clutch basket and the shaft. There is no movement between the clutch basket and the shaft. The O-ring is compressed and it expands to fill the space and prevent oil from seeping through between the shaft and the clutch basket. When it gets hard and cracks, the seal there is compromised.
bmwriderm likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #17 of 17 Old Feb 10th, 2016, 11:29 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5lo View Post

Off Topic but please share the trike conversion in another thread when its convenient. I am looking for something for my girl to ride and am hesitant to put her on two wheels. We have considered a Can Am but have some concerns there. An LT trike might fit the bill. Steve
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in