5Likes
  • 2 Post By garage monster
  • 1 Post By smahon
  • 1 Post By smahon
  • 1 Post By smahon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2016, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

Source for winshield mechanism piece??

Any help would be appreciated. The upper and lower arms for the windshield pivot at the lower end on 2 pins that snap into a plastic piece. I need that plastic piece for the left side. Any source for used parts like this?
The places I have searched probably don't even harvest this piece. I do not need a motor, just the one piece or the whole mechanism. BMW price would kill me.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 10:01 am

Re: Source for winshield mechanism piece??

I suggest you keep an "active" search with email notification on eBay to notify you every time a K1200LT windshield part is posted for sale... Lots of bikes get parted out on eBay. I have found tons of bargains for things that I have needed but could wait for, with this method.

-John

1983 R100 Airhead & Velorex 562 Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (SOLD! ...just too darn tall for me!)
1999 R1100RT-P (SOLD!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (SOLD!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks I will do that. I can't wait too long unless I can jury rig a temporary fix as the windshield will not move in it's current state.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 2:35 pm

Try BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle, Used BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle salvage. I have had good success here.
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. That would be Beemer Boneyard and I am on the wait list there.

post #6 of 19 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
Any help would be appreciated. The upper and lower arms for the windshield pivot at the lower end on 2 pins that snap into a plastic piece. I need that plastic piece for the left side. Any source for used parts like this?
The places I have searched probably don't even harvest this piece. I do not need a motor, just the one piece or the whole mechanism. BMW price would kill me.
Is it missing, or broken?
If broken, there may be a chance that these parts can be fixed.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 1:48 am Thread Starter

OK. I searched and searched and decide to fix the sucker. If you have ever looked closely at the mechanism you will see the two upper arms pivot on a pin that snaps into an opening in the plastic base, one on each end of the pin. The openings were still there to locate exactly where the pin should be but part of the plastic mas missing on each side so there was no longer a snap. Nothing to hold the pin in place. I bent some sheet metal and the very carefully made two small "L" shaped brackets with holes for the pin exactly lined up with the plastic pieces. It took some work with the Dremel tool but I was able to get the metal supports in place and slide the pin through rather than snap it in place. Hard to describe but it worked great and wit a little black paint no one will ever notice.

I think you either have to like working on these babies or have lot's of money.
Patric and johnbaker15 like this.

post #8 of 19 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=

I think you either have to like working on these babies or have lot's of money.[/QUOTE]

I have come to the same conclusion. I purchased a 2002 in November and thinking I'll unload it as soon as I can find a buyer. Glad I kept my harley, as expensive but at least they last, you can get parts and they hold their value.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
OK. I searched and searched and decide to fix the sucker. If you have ever looked closely at the mechanism you will see the two upper arms pivot on a pin that snaps into an opening in the plastic base, one on each end of the pin. The openings were still there to locate exactly where the pin should be but part of the plastic mas missing on each side so there was no longer a snap. Nothing to hold the pin in place. I bent some sheet metal and the very carefully made two small "L" shaped brackets with holes for the pin exactly lined up with the plastic pieces. It took some work with the Dremel tool but I was able to get the metal supports in place and slide the pin through rather than snap it in place. Hard to describe but it worked great and wit a little black paint no one will ever notice.

I think you either have to like working on these babies or have lot's of money.
I just did something very similar using a heavy duty zip-tie. Two holes through the back on the top and bottom of the pin, then zip around the pin/spring on the side that was popping out. Fully functional, 10 minute fix.
garage monster likes this.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Holy crap. Why didn't I think of that? I could not own this bike without this forum. My fix should be permanent but I wish I had tried yours first.

post #11 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 6:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon View Post
I just did something very similar using a heavy duty zip-tie. Two holes through the back on the top and bottom of the pin, then zip around the pin/spring on the side that was popping out. Fully functional, 10 minute fix.
Steve,

Any photo of the fix would be appreciated...

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Steve,

Any photo of the fix would be appreciated...
Here you go...hope this helps.

Edit...Hmmm...these were taken vertically; not sure why they were rotated when they were imported.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160209_095244_005.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	987.9 KB
ID:	97810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160209_095207.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	97818   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160209_095146.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	97826  
sailor likes this.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 11:29 am

Quote:

Edit...Hmmm...these were taken vertically; not sure why they were rotated when they were imported.
Dang, if these things break like that, I might just do this to mine as a preventative strike. I haven't had to mess with or had any issue with my windshield yet but it looks like just adding that plastic tie could prevent this from causing an issue while out. Going to take a look tonight and see how easy this is to implement.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #14 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Dang, if these things break like that, I might just do this to mine as a preventative strike. I haven't had to mess with or had any issue with my windshield yet but it looks like just adding that plastic tie could prevent this from causing an issue while out. Going to take a look tonight and see how easy this is to implement.
Well, to be fair, my bike fell over and the windshield actually cracked from landing on my lawnmower. I imagine there was a good amount of force on that piece of plastic.

'15 GTLE

post #15 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 11:44 am

Quote:

Steve,
Thanks for photos - I am sure these will help members here for current OR future repair ideas.

HOWEVER, I am a bit concerned about the leverage / torque that will be applied to these Zip-ties when the mechanism is working (specially while riding with wind pressure). Do you think my concerns are valid?

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Steve,
Thanks for photos - I am sure these will help members here for current OR future repair ideas.

HOWEVER, I am a bit concerned about the leverage / torque that will be applied to these Zip-ties when the mechanism is working (specially while riding with wind pressure). Do you think my concerns are valid?
Even without the fix, the only way I could get the joint to fail was by raising the windshield. This was the only thing that that exerted any force that actually popped the pin out of the fitting. When I push on the mechanism from the top, i.e. wind on the windshield, I don't see any force applied to that fitting at all; if anything the force would be to push it into place. Given that it was just a press-in fitting to begin with, if it was going to be an issue now, it never would have been sufficient to begin with, IMO. All that being said, there is play in between the pin and the spring. In order to make this work, I had to take up all that play with the zip-tie. Observing the spring in operation, it seems to be able to wind and unwind just fine.
sailor likes this.

'15 GTLE

post #17 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Well, to be fair, my bike fell over and the windshield actually cracked from landing on my lawnmower. I imagine there was a good amount of force on that piece of plastic.
OK, so now the question is what caused garage monsters to break. I have not looked closely at this particular part but if it clips in and doesn't go through a hole, a zip tie should hold it pretty well otherwise the forces would pop it out.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #18 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
OK, so now the question is what caused garage monsters to break. I have not looked closely at this particular part but if it clips in and doesn't go through a hole, a zip tie should hold it pretty well otherwise the forces would pop it out.
See thread: Harbor Freight Lift... PLease tell me NOT to get this..

Last post.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG View Post
See thread: Harbor Freight Lift... PLease tell me NOT to get this..

Last post.
Ahh, got it. So both these were damaged in the same way.

If it takes something like that to damage the clip in plastic area, I think I will wait till I have a similar incident. It has lasted 15 years already so hopefully I am good even with a harbor freight lift.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in