ABS PUMP Dilemma - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By davedionne
  • 1 Post By davedionne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 30th, 2016, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

ABS PUMP Dilemma

Greetings,
I have a 2000 K1200 LT... love it but the two red ABS indicators on the control panel have been blinking at me for a year.
San Diego BMW says it costs around $2k to fix, and I don't ride much anymore. Thinking of selling the beast,,, it only has 38k miles in 15 years,, always garaged and on trickle charger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 3:10 pm

Re: ABS PUMP Dilemma

I also have a 2000 Lt, and several years ago, I had the same issue. There are several things you can do to try to correct the problem short of replacing the ABS unit. First and foremost is the battery. If your battery is old and weak, even if you keep it on a Battery Tender all the time, it will cause an ABS fault. So one of the first things to do is check the battery. Secondly, when is the last time you flushed the brake fluids? I believe for the pre 2004 LT's, they recommend the fluids be flushed annually. Even if you don't ride much, the brake fluid gets very dirty and will absorb moisture and other contaminants. Third, you need to make sure there is sufficient brake fluid in the reservoirs, including the rear one. There is a rear reservoir on the right side sort of underneath the seat. Also, make sure the ABS sensors have the correct gap and are clean. The 2000 LT system will not reset itself, and therefore once you do these things, you will need to either find someone with a GS 911 to reset the defaults, or you will need to take it to a dealer and have them run it to clear the faults.

On my bike, all of these things did not correct the problem. I was lucky enough to find a used ABS unit on Ebay for $400, and a friend of mine and I changed it out one weekend. It has worked perfect since.

A couple of other points. The pre 2004 LT's are not servo assist systems, and they are much less complicated to work on. I am told there are a few places that can rebuild these units. I am not aware of any places that successfully rebuild the Servo units in the newer LT's. The good news it that unlike the Servo system in the newer LT's, the braking system still works great with the ABS pump not working. You just won't have anti lock brakes that are functional. If your ABS goes out on the Servo units, it isn't safe to ride the bike until it is fixed, or bypassed. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 3:45 pm

If you are thinking of selling it because of the ABS issue, keep it and keep riding it. Pre 2002 US will not degrade the brakes for an ABS fault.

If you are wanting to sell it and get the issue fixed, in order to sell it, it would be good if you can get someone with a GS911 to hook up to it and get the error code. It could be as simple as one of the ABS sensors is bad and not the ABS unit itself. The bike has to sense forward motion on the sensors in order to clear the flashing lights from an initial start up.

See if you can isolate the issue so you know what you are dealing with. It may not be the expensive part.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 5:43 pm

Yes, can be things like a wire to the abs sensor chaffed. But, all good suggestions above. And, if none of that works call
ModuleMaster
and see if they can fix it for you. They have been doing some BMW bike repairs. With those flashing lights and a bike that old, the retail price is rather low. I suggest fixing it and try to ride more.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 8:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCADELGADO View Post
Greetings,
I have a 2000 K1200 LT... love it but the two red ABS indicators on the control panel have been blinking at me for a year.
San Diego BMW says it costs around $2k to fix, and I don't ride much anymore. Thinking of selling the beast,,, it only has 38k miles in 15 years,, always garaged and on trickle charger.
The dealer is not doing you any favors at $2K, did they run any tests?
Module master can repair your unit for less than $500.00.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 7th, 2016, 6:52 pm

I just took my ABS Module out several weeks ago. Tried resetting it several times with my GS-911. Alternate flashing lights would return several miles later. GS-911 gave me an Piston fault code #16.

Decided to remove it and send it to Module Masters. Cost $350 plus shipping. 5 year warranty. Why buy something used or from ebay, not knowing its history or true condition.

It is just labor intensive to remove the module. Have to take off Upper Tupperware, Seats, Rear and Left side compartments. Not hard, just time.

I will be getting it back early this week and will let you know how it works out.

Dave
Buffalo, NY
beech likes this.

Dave Dionne
2000 BMW K1200LT: "Ghost Rider"
BMWMOA Member
LT - Buffalo Fire Dept.
Buffalo, NY
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 24th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Update.... Installed and working! Received the Module back, included was a note stating the the motor brushes were replaced. Took me longer to re-install. Did some needed maintenance, oil change, antifreeze, Transmission oil and Final Drive oil change.

Bled ABS Module and all brake calipers. Replaced valve cover gasket. Nothing hard, just time consuming. So if you are having ABS problems, check out Module Masters.
Patric likes this.

Dave Dionne
2000 BMW K1200LT: "Ghost Rider"
BMWMOA Member
LT - Buffalo Fire Dept.
Buffalo, NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in