Looking for advice on purchase - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By dmwradon
  • 2 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Looking for advice on purchase

Been looking for a 1200LT or 1200 CLC. Found a 03 K1200LT with 23k at a dealer that looks clean with new tires. Wondering if the final drive would have blown out by now if it is an issue? Asking price is $5500 which I think is pretty fair. Taking it for a test ride in a couple days. Any advice / guidance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 4:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Looking for advice on purchase

Welcome to the LT forum, trashcan! Your answers can be found in many previous threads posted on this forum, and I would suggest you take a look through them. One recent one is: "Potential 2007 BMW K1200 LT Purchase" from earlier this month. Although it is about an '07, instead of the '03 you are considering, the thread includes pointers on what to look out for when buying a new-to-you LT.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 5:08 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

If you're buying it from a dealer I'd worry more about my wallet than the condition of the bike. That age and mileage sounds pretty normal, just test ride it and make sure she runs good.

2000 R1100RT

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 6:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
Been looking for a 1200LT or 1200 CLC. Found a 03 K1200LT with 23k at a dealer that looks clean with new tires. Wondering if the final drive would have blown out by now if it is an issue? Asking price is $5500 which I think is pretty fair. Taking it for a test ride in a couple days. Any advice / guidance would be appreciated.
There are several folks on this forum more knowledgeable than I when it comes to final drives but but it seems they mostly go out between 30,000 to 35,000 miles. Mine was at 34,000 miles.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 11:29 am

Sounds like you're homing in on an LT. But just for the record, the 1200 CLC is a bit under-powered at around 60 HP. A review I noticed found the bike (2003) only yielded 52.2 HP on a dyno. Also only 4.5 gal fuel capacity.
I do like the looks of that bike, but ruled that model out when I found out it's HP rating.
I Love the LT.
Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 11:49 am

Have the dealer run the warranty repairs that were done on it by the VIN. If it failed under warranty, there would be a record of it. If it failed after, you would have to have its papers form the PO.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Less than a 4% failure rate in all K1200LT years. Don't worry about the '03 LT. Drive failures were extremely rare after '01. As for the R1200CLC, they were aimed at the cruiser/bagger market in which they perform quite well up to the 85-90 mph range where they are content to run all day long, and comfortable enough to ride 500 mile days. No stock Harley ever embarrassed my Cruiser at the stoplight drags. Ive been riding my '03 LT since i bought her new in March '04. I have no desire to replace the bike. My youngest son learned to love riding on my '98 Cruiser. I gave it to him when he graduated college. He still rides her everywhere. Both are wonderful bikes.
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 3:04 pm

They can fail at any mileage. Mine was 55,000. Its a great bike. Dont let the final drive issues deter you. They dont all fail. Only a small prcentage do. 23,000 miles is nothing for this bike if it was well maintained. You will enjoy it.
Munmi likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 3:20 pm

Thumbs down Re: Looking for advice on purchase

I can't believe i'm reading another post on this site about how cheap LT's should be or what they are worth. I purchased mine brand new in 2003 and now has 130k miles on it. These are great bikes and if maintained even the amount of miles mine has is a drop in the bucket. Of course if it had Honda written on the side everyone would think the worth is much greater. Just let me say I also have a Goldwing I purchased new and it is not nearly the same quality and not to mention it's overall handling and comfort. Now of course the because of the same types pf discussions though out the bike market the values of the great LT is devalued.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 9:42 am

Just posted this response on another, "looking to buy LT thread," this info pertains to any LT purchase or any other bike purchase for that matter:

First of all you came to the right place if you are looking to research the LT. I have a 2007 LT and love it . Ride two up 95% of the time and it is the most accommodating and comfortable machine I have owned for that purpose and I have tried most of them. The mileage doesn't necessarily matter if the bike has been abused or not properly maintained. People get rid of bikes mainly for two reasons, something is going wrong with the machine or their ready to move on to some thing else. Unfortunately people and dealerships are not always truthful about the things they know are wrong with the bikes. It is imperative to determine whether something is going wrong with the perspective bike. I can't stress enough the importance of complete maintenance records when purchasing one of these bikes. Make sure if they show you the records that you actually read them to make sure all the require maintenance was performed at the correct intervals. They will last forever if properly maintained, but if not they can cause you a nightmare. Granted when buying a used bike you will have certain items that need attention. You do not want those items to be a clutch, leaking seals, ABS unit failure, failing FD unit or other items that will require a major tear down and re-build. Even If your are a mechanic and can do this work you still need to understand what you may be getting yourself into by really investigating the bike thoroughly. There are plenty of LT's out there. Don't let your excitement of getting a new machine cloud your judgement and ability to do the proper due diligence.

Good Luck with your hunt
bmwcoolk1200 and Whiskey like this.

Scott
2007 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in