• 1 Post By SouthTexas
  • 1 Post By k5lo
  • 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By garage monster
  • 1 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

USED LT SEARCH CONTINUES...

Quick question for you guys again....Interested in a '03 LT with 88 000 miles, currently with Second owner whom says he has service records for the bike, his selling it after owning it a year. Price $3300 is this to good to be true and what is lurking for me at that mileage. I kinda know reading post here what to look for but this price just seems a bit low...

Similar mileage LT's bikes in the area goes for $4500 to $5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Re: USED LT SEARCH CONTINUES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexas View Post
Quick question for you guys again....Interested in a '03 LT with 88 000 miles, currently with Second owner whom says he has service records for the bike, his selling it after owning it a year. Price $3300 is this to good to be true and what is lurking for me at that mileage. I kinda know reading post here what to look for but this price just seems a bit low...

Similar mileage LT's bikes in the area goes for $4500 to $5000
That does sound like a good price. If you have been reading the threads on this model, the checklist would be.

1. ABS unit working properly
2. Original brake lines.
3. Final Drive ( repaired yet? )
4. Oil leaks from bell-housing, final drive or in general.
5. Clutch slipping ( see #4 )
6. Slave Cylinder ( see #5 )

At that price, I might expect to find some of those and if you are going to do your own wrenching, it may be worth it but you could spend a bit on those things if you had to deal with several all at once. Check the maintenance history to see if any of those have been addressed.

Check the VIN against the BMW Motorrad records and see what services were done under warranty such as the quick disconnects or any of the above.

Good luck if you choose to go ahead with it. They are great to ride.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I bought my 2000LT with 96,000 miles for $3000. Like you, I thought it was too good to be true. The owner had every service on schedule with documentation and preemptively replaced many of the high failure rate parts (final drive, brake lines) and added many farkles (GPS, PIAA aux lights, Russel Day Long seat). What sold me was my conversation with the BMW dealership that serviced the LT. They knew the bike and owner and verified everything the previous owner had told me.

My LT has its pesky issues, but that is to be expected with a 15 year old bike with 117,000 miles on the odometer. The wisdom on this forum is tremendous and the folks are quick to offer a helpful solution. I have no regrets buying my 2000 LT.

Rob
Navarre, FL

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks I will hopefully have a look this afternoon and just see how much Beemer I get for 3300bucks...
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 5:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My '03 LT might be available for $3.5k w/95,000 miles depending on equipment that stays on it.

Dan M.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Man, used LTs are so hard to get rid of. That's why the price has to be very low just to get rid of the thang. I have had mine listed on various sites, including this one, for months with not even an inquiry, except for the scammers. The last 03 LT, I gave away. Although it had over 100K miles on it. The 09 I have now is going in for a sex change in a couple of weeks. (That means a trike kit installed. Trying to be funny). Maybe a trike will be more appealing for someone to buy. Anyway, soon LT owners will have to pay someone to take the beasts. Sorry to sound so cynical.
jwacree likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
I bought my 2000LT with 96,000 miles for $3000. Like you, I thought it was too good to be true. The owner had every service on schedule with documentation and preemptively replaced many of the high failure rate parts (final drive, brake lines) and added many farkles (GPS, PIAA aux lights, Russel Day Long seat). What sold me was my conversation with the BMW dealership that serviced the LT. They knew the bike and owner and verified everything the previous owner had told me.

My LT has its pesky issues, but that is to be expected with a 15 year old bike with 117,000 miles on the odometer. The wisdom on this forum is tremendous and the folks are quick to offer a helpful solution. I have no regrets buying my 2000 LT.

Rob
Navarre, FL
The most comfortable 900 lb sportbike you'll ever ride. Adept at crossing continents or straightening out twisties. Maintenance & preparation will prevent most problems so you can just enjoy the ride. I have no regrets either with my '05.

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 11:24 pm

If you want to buy a motorcycle for it's resale value, you need to look to the well-known king of the V-twin. Me, I buy a motorcycle to enjoy riding it for as long as I can.
LeeBee likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 11:42 pm

Just for perspective be sure to check cycle trader online and craigslist. I live in Southern Oregon and picked up my bike in Denver and road it home.
2000 K1200LT with 34000 miles. Good records, not a scratch and with PIAA driving lights, Wilbers suspension front and rear and steering dampener with less than 10,000 miles, full CB and intercom, BMW bags for all three cases, good tires, many other extras including on board air pump and Ducati designs headlight upgrade. One owner except for first 1000 miles.

Paid $4200 and got full manual and all notes and records. Airfare was less than $300 dollars.

Just sayin'.
LeeBee likes this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 7:17 am

A BMW that has major issues may have little value if lots of work is needed. You must determine the mechanical state of the machine by thoroughly checking it out and if you do not know what to look for find someone who does know! Unfortunately guys buy these bikes after they have been owned several times without proper maintenance being done and systems start failing. They sell the bikes without being totally honest with the buyers as to the problems. If your are a mechanic and realize that repairs could be time consuming, expensive and don't mind doing the work then you are ahead of the game. I believe LT's are in a class by themselves for the normal bike owner. They are very complex machines that require above normal diligence for preventative maintenance if you want to avoid costly repair issues. Also the mechanical and trouble shooting skills required to preform proper major repairs and even some of the more involved maintenance is above the threshold of most owners.

Good Luck

See previous post I made on your earlier Thread:

Welcome to the site. JNW003 hit a lot of good points. I have a 2007 LT and love the bike. I purchased mine from the original owner in 2008 who bought it new in Florida, drove it to pa. and decided it was to heavy and not his style. The bike had 1095 miles on it. It now has 30K on it with no issues to date. I have followed this site almost everyday for the last seven years and have learned a great deal. I have done most of the upgrades which made sense to mitigate failures or extend the life of parts and systems.The secret to having success with the LT is timely and competent maintenance. I believe many of the ABS units fail either because of excessively dirty brake fluid or disintegration of the internal rubber on the cheap original brake lines which eventually clogs the ABS unit. That is why getting rid of those lines ASAP is important. As far as the rest of the issues a little luck helps but I think regular maintenance is your best prevention. It is important to get all the service records and make sure maintenance was done. If a owner says he did the maintenance himself I would be very skeptical as to whether proper complete maintenance was done as that requires special knowledge, skills and tools. There are many LT's for sale now so do not let your excitement for the new purchase of a machine cloud your judgement. If the bike does not have records of proper maintenance and upgrades, either walk away or get it really really cheap so if major work is needed you won't get hurt to bad on the repairs. I love the bike so much that I have opted to keep it even with all the mechanical failure horror stories hanging over my head. I'm willing to pay the dealer $600 a year to flush the clutch and ABS unit and all lines. I do the rest of the fluid changes myself. I contemplated buying a new bike and test drove many newer ones but there was none that gave me the riding pleasure of the LT so I will continue on with the old girl. Good Luck and knock on wood!.
LeeBee likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 9:17 am

Hi, I had a friend that passed away suddenly. Am selling his 2001 Ltc for his wife for 3900. Bike has 82000 miles on it. Is equipped with olins shock, new tires, piaa lights, j pegs, bmr shelf, fix it before it breaks top case latch, and 2 key fobs for locking cases and setting alarm. Bike is located in Tulsa.
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 9:47 am

Garage

$4500 - $5000. ? Is that what they sell for from private seller? or Is that what they (private or dealer) are asking? big difference.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in