Radio Shuts Off after 2 hours while riding possible answer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Radio Shuts Off after 2 hours while riding possible answer

I read all the post on this subject and could not find a solution. But what I did discover is this! If SVOL is set to off radio will shut off after 2 hours of riding on my 2002 model. If SVOL is set to any 1-5 value radio will not shut off after 2 hours of riding. So it seems that without SVOL the radio does not know that the bike is actually running and does what it is programed to do to save the battery and shuts off after 2 hours. Not sure if this happens on all model years or it is unique to my radio. If anyone else has the 2 hour issue and would like to test I'd be interested to know the results.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

The radio on my '04 R12CLC(RIP) and now my '05 K12LT both cut off at two hrs. My cousin's '06 K12LT does it too. Doing what it was programmed to do, not run the battery down if not running! Guess the German engineers couldn't include a program that could determine if the engine was running or not.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #3 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 2:27 pm

My 2002 does the very same thing.
After 2 hours, doesn't matter ridding or not, it will shuts off.
To be honest, I don't mind. Actually, I like it. Tells me that I have to stop and strech my legs

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 3:40 pm

My 05' radio also shuts off at the 2hr. mark. For me its just a nice little timer, hit the radio on button and your good for another 2 hr, that is with the aux. tank onboard. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 1:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The radio is not supposed to shut of if the bike is running. There is a wheel speed sensor (same as used for SVOL) fed into the radio compartment. Sometimes this is a flaky connection, so the radio doesn't know the wheels are turning.

If it was my bike, it would drive me nuts. But since my radio has been in a box in the garage since December '02 (in favor of an iPod and GPS controller), I just don't worry about it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 6:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The radio is not supposed to shut of if the bike is running. There is a wheel speed sensor (same as used for SVOL) fed into the radio compartment. Sometimes this is a flaky connection, so the radio doesn't know the wheels are turning.

If it was my bike, it would drive me nuts. But since my radio has been in a box in the garage since December '02 (in favor of an iPod and GPS controller), I just don't worry about it.

hahahaha, man I wish mine had done that instead of come at at wide open volume at 80- mph with my dag blasted headsets on!

WOW it about blew me off the bike!

Then we could not get it turned off, even with all the fuses out! it was kind of funny in a way if it hadn;t about blown my ear drums out , here we were sitting at a truck stop stereo full blast me 100 ft from the bike on the phone with the dealer, hollering (cause my bike stereo was full blast) telling them yes the fuse it out, in fact I took ALL the fuses out they were all sitting on my rear seat!!

come to find out there was one more fuse, on the DANG radio!! that you have to take half the bike apart to get to!

or just pull your left side plastic off and disconnect all the radio harness. the radio head had shorted and it decided to turn on full blast would not shut off even with the key in lock position and all the fuses out! I am not kidding!

radio got replaced in texas that time all was fine after that

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #7 of 22 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 1:33 pm

If I set the SVOL to off then it shuts off, if I set it to anything else it doesn't. I don't think the sensor is messed up, or my ABS would be messed up to. I don't mind too much I just use it as a timer to tell me to get off and stretch my legs.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 3:07 am
IBR# 366

Garage
It's not that the sensor is bad, more that the connection at the radio is bad. But if you're happy with how it works then I wouldn't bother tracing it down.

If you're not, the get a wiring diagram and a T25 bit and have at it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:11 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
I read all the post on this subject and could not find a solution. But what I did discover is this! If SVOL is set to off radio will shut off after 2 hours of riding on my 2002 model. If SVOL is set to any 1-5 value radio will not shut off after 2 hours of riding. So it seems that without SVOL the radio does not know that the bike is actually running and does what it is programed to do to save the battery and shuts off after 2 hours. Not sure if this happens on all model years or it is unique to my radio. If anyone else has the 2 hour issue and would like to test I'd be interested to know the results.

Joe
My understanding from BMW is that the radio is designed to shut off after 2 hours. It's not a settings thing. They did this so in case you left it on after the bike was off it would shut down and not completely drain your battery (just enough to where you can't start the bike, of course ). I have my SVOL set to 4 and it shut off every 2 hours of riding on my cross country trip I just completed. THis is a VERY lame implementation of BMW trying to help us. They should have added the logic "if the motor is running don't start the radio kill timer".

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:36 am

feeling like a dummy here, whats svol? I am guessing something to do with volume?
post #11 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:54 am
IBR# 366

Garage
SVOL is BMW's Speed-related VOLume control. As the bike goes faster and the wind noise increases, the radio volume will increase. Go slower and the volume decreases. You can set it in different steps from slight increase to large increase, or turn it off completely (no change).

Once again, the radio is not supposed to turn off while riding. Any LT that does that has a bad connection where the speedo signal feeds into the radio controller. It is supposed to shut off after 2 hours while parked to save the battery, but not while moving.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 22 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Once again, the radio is not supposed to turn off while riding. Any LT that does that has a bad connection where the speedo signal feeds into the radio controller. It is supposed to shut off after 2 hours while parked to save the battery, but not while moving.
You sure 'bout that? I coulda swore it was:

"They all do that!"

Heh Heh

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #13 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 3:44 am

My '05 has done it since day one. I never knew why, I just knew it wasn't a big enought problem for me to take it to the dealer and lose it for a week waiting for a fix. At least I know I'm not the only one now!

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #14 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:22 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
I talked to my dealer about this a while back and had them check into it, and BMW corporate confirmed the 2 hour shut-off is a feature they designed into the radio. It happens anytime the radio is on for 2 hours, whether moving or standing still (hence my comment about the timer logic). It would be so simple to make it work right, too. They already detect speed to adjust the speed sensitive volume, so they should just monitor that and only start the countdown when the bike isn't moving.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #15 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 2:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
B.S. to BMW. My '99 radio would stay on as long as I liked, unless the bike was parked and then the 2 hour limit kicked in. I'm not sure about my '02 radio, as it was removed the first week I had the bike and replaced with an iPod. That will play as long as my bike's battery allows, and never repeat a song.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 22 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 3:31 pm

My radio only shuts off after 2 hours when the bike is not running. It will stay on indefinable when running.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #17 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
My radio only shuts off after 2 hours when the bike is not running. It will stay on indefinable when running.
I am not sure about my radio. I know that it will play as long as the bike is running and I have made MANY rides over two hours. I am going to turn it on in the garage and check it in two hours to see if my 02 will shut off.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Meese,
I was forewarned by the BMW service mgr. to be aware of the radio turning off at two hrs, rolling or not. He was right on both bikes.
I use it as a timer also with the only problem being my thinking I have a cell call. I usually say "hellow" several times before I remember the two hrs.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
BMW may be aware of it, and they may even have changed it on newer bikes, but if my new BMW did that, I'd be taking it back to the dealer real quick. I tell ya, it just ain't right.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 22 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:55 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
B.S. to BMW. My '99 radio would stay on as long as I liked, unless the bike was parked and then the 2 hour limit kicked in. I'm not sure about my '02 radio, as it was removed the first week I had the bike and replaced with an iPod. That will play as long as my bike's battery allows, and never repeat a song.
Now that I'm thinking more about it (a rare occurence, I know ) the behavior I see/hear may be new as of the 05 and later LTs. I don't recall my 99 or 02 LT radios doing this.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #21 of 22 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPNorton
My '05 has done it since day one.
Yup, mine too. I also recently discovered that leaving the key positioned to off, not lock, with everything turned off will yield a stone dead battery in about three days.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #22 of 22 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 1:38 am

My -05 LTs radio works as long as I ride (+ 2 h ). The radio SVOL is off. My manual says that if You have VOICEII, the radio SVOL should be off and the SVOL should be adjusted via VOICEII. I don´t know if this has nothing to do with radio shutting off after 2 hours while riding, but mine has never done that. Jari

Jari P. Orivesi, Finland
-05 BMW LT, Gold
IBA member # 24952

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in