Does Anyone Recognize this Plug? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Munmi
  • 1 Post By deputy5211

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2016, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Does Anyone Recognize this Plug?

It is on the end of a battery charger/maintainer pigtail. It is already on the bike, so if someone could give me a heads-up on the brand, then I have one less thing on the to-do list for my K-LT.

I have several Battery Tender brand units sitting around, as that's what I've always used, and what I have my other bikes hooked up to, but this is different.

Thanks in advance for any help. Apologies if I posted this is an incorrect subforum; the most topical subforum for this question hasn't seen any activity since last July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Re: Does Anyone Recognize this Plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Rider View Post

It is on the end of a battery charger/maintainer pigtail. It is already on the bike, so if someone could give me a heads-up on the brand, then I have one less thing on the to-do list for my K-LT.

I have several Battery Tender brand units sitting around, as that's what I've always used, and what I have my other bikes hooked up to, but this is different.

Thanks in advance for any help. Apologies if I posted this is an incorrect subforum; the most topical subforum for this question hasn't seen any activity since last July.
SAE, if you search via Google you can find info, pics etc.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2016, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper View Post
SAE, if you search via Google you can find info, pics etc.
Thanks, but that's not it.

An SAE plug (which is what the Battery Tender brand uses) will mate up with it, but if you notice this plug has one male, and two females. There's an extra wire of some sort, with the second female port.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2016, 5:45 pm

does that third spot actually have a contact in it? To me it looks like the common SAE with a locking tab. My view of the wiring looks like only two leads.
deputy5211 likes this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Quote:

An SAE plug (which is what the Battery Tender brand uses) will mate up with it, but if you notice this plug has one male, and two females. There's an extra wire of some sort, with the second female port.
Sorry I didn't notice the extra 3 female hole. Have you used a multi meter to check how that 3rd wire is hooked up, power/grnd?

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #6 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2016, 11:42 pm

Hello fellow ICT rider. Where did you get your LT from? I traveled to TX to get mine... was a trade in at the Ducati dealership. The guys there were super nice - the owner is a former professional racer. I would get so many tickets if I was on one of the Ducatis from the showroom. I am ready to hit the road this weekend with temps in the 60s.

The wire is definitely meant to hook up with a trickle charger. Which charger I'm not sure as the third hole make it interesting. If the wires are only attached to + and - on the battery, my guess is the third hole is for some kind of lock.
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 2:29 am

Garage

I looks like it's from the Optimate charger. I had one myself for my Vespa, works fine! Only that thirth hole issue...

Optimate 3+ Plus - Mymotor.nl
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 9:07 am

Quote:

I do not see an extra wire in your photo, just a small extra hole. Maybe a retention/locking hole for the cap or other device?

If the pigtail goes directly to the battery terminal, and if the two wires that correspond to the SAE connector go to their proper respective terminals, then I see no reason to not simply use this as an SAE connection point for your Battery Tender. Don't like this solution? remove the plug from the battery and add a "normal" battery-side SAE pigtail.
tvguy likes this.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 11:51 am

Quote:

Is there a tab on the inside of the cover that lines up to help keep the cover in place?

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy13 View Post
Is there a tab on the inside of the cover that lines up to help keep the cover in place?
You beat me to this question by 69 minutes.
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:40 am

I did some searching on your behalf and found the exact same plug on (Dare I say it 🤐 ) the HD FORUMS all asking the same question. Apparently it is a WTF is this for outlet. 😂😂😂

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
does that third spot actually have a contact in it? To me it looks like the common SAE with a locking tab. My view of the wiring looks like only two leads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper View Post
Sorry I didn't notice the extra 3 female hole. Have you used a multi meter to check how that 3rd wire is hooked up, power/grnd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemonLT View Post
I looks like it's from the Optimate charger. I had one myself for my Vespa, works fine! Only that thirth hole issue...

Optimate 3+ Plus - Mymotor.nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211 View Post
I do not see an extra wire in your photo, just a small extra hole. Maybe a retention/locking hole for the cap or other device?
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
I did some searching on your behalf and found the exact same plug on (Dare I say it 🤐 ) the HD FORUMS all asking the same question. Apparently it is a WTF is this for outlet. 😂😂😂
Thanks guys!

It appears it is just some sort of a proprietary plug latch, as some of you guessed. What the point of that is, I don't know. Having battery maintainer wires running around the garage, I would prefer the plug be a weak link to prevent trips, or worse, a trip plus pulling the charger from its perch and onto the nice, shiny painted surface of a bike or a car.

Seems to work fine with the normal SAE plug that my Battery Tender brand maintainers use, but I wanted to make sure.
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Hello fellow ICT rider. Where did you get your LT from? I traveled to TX to get mine... was a trade in at the Ducati dealership. The guys there were super nice - the owner is a former professional racer. I would get so many tickets if I was on one of the Ducatis from the showroom. I am ready to hit the road this weekend with temps in the 60s.

The wire is definitely meant to hook up with a trickle charger. Which charger I'm not sure as the third hole make it interesting. If the wires are only attached to + and - on the battery, my guess is the third hole is for some kind of lock.
Hi gj,

Got the LT from a private seller outside of Springfield, MO. Went out there and back this past July, one rather long, extended evening.

Sounds like you might have bought from AMS Ducati in DFW, owned by Jeff Nash. I used to own a Duc 748 (ugh, how I miss that thing), and they are quite a resource in that segment. Great dealer.

My wife and I might hop on the Teutonic pig (meant endearingly) this weekend as well. Can't pass up 60's in January. If we were retired, or could otherwise drop everything at a moments notice, it would be a fantastic weekend for a Eureka Springs/Ozarks trip, ironically in the dead of winter.
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 28th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Hi gj,

Got the LT from a private seller outside of Springfield, MO. Went out there and back this past July, one rather long, extended evening.

Sounds like you might have bought from AMS Ducati in DFW, owned by Jeff Nash. I used to own a Duc 748 (ugh, how I miss that thing), and they are quite a resource in that segment. Great dealer.

My wife and I might hop on the Teutonic pig (meant endearingly) this weekend as well. Can't pass up 60's in January. If we were retired, or could otherwise drop everything at a moments notice, it would be a fantastic weekend for a Eureka Springs/Ozarks trip, ironically in the dead of winter.
Yep, Jeff Nash is the man. He was great to work with but didn't really want a BMW mucking up the shiny new and beautiful Ducatis. If I was in the market for a Ducati, I would go see him without a second thought.

That sounds like a great weekend trip. But, I go to Africa on Saturday. Too bad I can't take the bike with me.
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 9:49 pm

It's a battery charger (trickle) connector. Used by Battery Tender and even Walmart brands.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in