'03 Radio questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Question '03 Radio questions

My used '03 LT-C did not come with the supplemental owner's manual for the radio. I have the unit with the single CD, along with the BMW ComSys. After some searching, I was able to find the thread on bmwlt.net that has scans of the pages out of the manual for the '99 radio with cassette. That helped me figure out how to set the preset radio stations and some other nifty stuff.

However, I'm still unclear on a couple of things - when I press the CD (lower left) button to cycle through the menu options, I get INTERCOM and AUX choices. As I understand it, this means I'll be able to buy the BMW aux input cable and listen to my iPod thru the fairing speakers. However, I don't get the purpose of the INTERCOM function. Is this a feature that will allow your SO to yell at the cage who just cut you off while you focus on evasive maneuvers?

Also, I have the BMW StreetPilot-style GPS unit, and I can hear the audio from that in my right helmet speaker thru the ComSys. Exactly where is the audio connection made? Both the 1/8" and 3/32" jacks on the front of the ComSys panel are empty. Is there another ComSystem input?

Finally, there are a couple more cables coming into the oddments box from the left side, for the CB radio. One cable ends in a little box-shaped connector for the radio. The other two cables are a 1/8" plug and a 3/32" plug. Anyone know what these two are for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:08 pm
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Exclamation 2003 Radio questions

dtnicks,

If you have the 2003 with the radio and GPS my guess is that it is the LTE model. You are correct about cycling the CD button. The intercom position allows for just communication with the pillion rider.

Note that the use of the Aux input for the iPod will not work well. I believe there is a significant impedance mismatch between the Aux input and iPod. Most of us have installed the Dension iceLink (or similar product) to provide for the iPod. This interface allows for cycling through iPod tunes using the left-side handlebar control. I have used the Aux input for satellite radio, which does work relatively well but somewhat loud because of the audio adjustment on the satellite radio.

There is a separate interface for the GPS to get audio for directions. That audio is only on the right channel.

On your comm unit in the oddments box, the 1/8 jack is for your Aux input while the 3/32 is for your cell phone. Use care in selecting a cell phone to use since some interfere with the comm unit.

The other plugs that you describe are for a Midland handheld CB unit. One is for the mike/PTT and the other for audio input to the comm unit. I found the Midland unit to be useless.

Hope that helps. Please update your profile so we know something about you.

Best of luck,
Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:29 pm

I have the radio manual I can give you...

My used '03 LT-C DID come with the supplemental owner's manual for the radio -- but not the real one. I will send you a copy of it if you will send me a copy of the owner's manual. It has a 3d manual too.

It seems that BMW could (and should) provide the same online support with owners' manuals as my 3.99 remote control by putting them on thier web site.

Do you want it in a PDF or paper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in