So , how loud REALLY is the Remus exhausts ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:01 am Thread Starter

So , how loud REALLY is the Remus exhausts ?

Keep in mind I ride with all Harley guys who all have Screamin Eagle exhausts. Not a single one of them are quiet.

I also own a custom bike with a 100 CI V-twin with the loudest pipes in our group by a good 5-10 db's.

I know it's relative .... but put it into comparison for those of you that have ridden with the Vtwin crouds.

How loud REALLY is it in comparison ?

SECOND QUESTION ... is the chip really necessary with these exhausts ? I'd much rather tune the bike if it was possible. (Which it may be I've found out)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:10 am

Sound is available

If you'll do a search, somewhere on this site, I think it is on Dave Dragons site, there is an audio of the Remus. I've got on and would be happy to have you give me a call and I'll turn it on for you. (813 267 8181) Installed mine several years ago, by following the instructions from members of this site and could not be more pleased. I really don't think it is "that" loud and like the difference. Probably not any faster, just sounds different.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:22 am

Not sure on LT except that Dave Dragon's isn't too loud. Just a nice low note.

I had Remus on my '97 RT and loved it!!!

However, I tried the Genisi Remus on my GSA and hated it- WAY too loud.

So, be sure to get the right one- not the Genisis! I think the Revolution is the one you want, unless you like loud.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:29 am

Compared to a H-D, the Remus is not loud. But on those trips where you are not with the H-D guys and you want to listen to the stereo, well..........

And the low RPM backpressure/velocity is lower, so you will lose some low end torque. Hank at Rhinewest has compensated for this somewhat in the tune on the reflashed chip.

Pros

1. Probably 20 pounds lighter than stock.
2. Eliminates the gearcase support mount (no cat anymore) and stops the 4.5K vibe.
3. Probably runs a bit cooler under there (no cat/better flow).
4. Makes getting the swingarm out much easier (no need to disconnect the driveline from the output shaft).

Cons

1. Much louder
2. Backfires if not sealed REALLY well.
3. Shift linkage rubs (foot vibrator/toe tickler) if you dont ball peen the daylights out of the center tube to dent it.
4. No noticable power increase (on my bike).
5. Low end torque loss if not chipped (another $400 + labor).
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 3:40 pm

Not entirely accurate:

I did a lot of specific research on the Remus application to the BMW LT. Based on the canister you will gain either high-end torque (sport) or low-end torque (street). I had a Remus representative install my system, with a titanium street canister. Helli Kornton of Maxmoto, the US distributor for Remus. I have also included a document (attachment page 7) that provides more detailed information. BMW has made changes to the transmission (gear ratio) and the HP rating based on model years so I don't know what LT model was used on their dyno machine when these results were captured. Note there are actually four (not including type of material of canister) decisions to make: Street or Sport. Then the canister style: Revolution or Innovation, one has a removable baffle the other does not and each canister style has its own set of performance designs built into it. I was also told there was absolutely no need to change the chip, but I have an 05 that come from the factory with 117 HP and the factory modifications that were necessary to achieve the HP gain. I was told that if I truly wanted to maximize the engine with the Remus system I should change the "cam gears" and these are supplied from Maxmoto as well. I am waiting to hit my warranty mileage before I modify any internal component. Also my install was very clean and in no way affected the shifter components. I was present at the install and I assure you no one had to hit or dent the middle section to gain clearance for shift linkage. Hopefully your system was not bent in shipment?

I have absolutely no regrets losing the OEM exhaust. Lost the weight, the catalytic system, no more black sooty tail pipe, and the engine is actually running slightly cooler on the display read-out. Plus it makes changing the transmission oil so easy without the catalytic in the way. I have owned everything from a custom V-twin to dirt bikes and the Remus, to me, is only slightly louder then the OEM LT exhaust and then only before getting up to speed. Both my wife and I have no problems listening to our system connected Ipod or talking to each other in the BMW communication system. But then again I picked the street canister for the LT. I have also included this link as another source www.motorsports-network.com/aremus/ BMW3 will take you to the LT section and options on the web link.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
Compared to a H-D, the Remus is not loud. But on those trips where you are not with the H-D guys and you want to listen to the stereo, well..........

And the low RPM backpressure/velocity is lower, so you will lose some low end torque. Hank at Rhinewest has compensated for this somewhat in the tune on the reflashed chip.

Pros

1. Probably 20 pounds lighter than stock.
2. Eliminates the gearcase support mount (no cat anymore) and stops the 4.5K vibe.
3. Probably runs a bit cooler under there (no cat/better flow).
4. Makes getting the swingarm out much easier (no need to disconnect the driveline from the output shaft).

Cons

1. Much louder
2. Backfires if not sealed REALLY well.
3. Shift linkage rubs (foot vibrator/toe tickler) if you dont ball peen the daylights out of the center tube to dent it.
4. No noticable power increase (on my bike).
5. Low end torque loss if not chipped (another $400 + labor).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REMUSRetail .pdf (417.2 KB, 712 views)
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 5:45 pm

Well, I purchased my system from MaxMoto (BTW, thanks for the shirt) and:

1. I definitely had to dent the pipe for clearance. In fact, I discovered the denting procedure right here on this forum upon searching. So I must not have been the only one with the issue.

2. The fact that others have resorted to putting pieces of pipe in the street can to tone it down means that it is probably a bit loud to others as well.

3. I spoke with Hank at Rhinewest and he told me they definitely make adjustments to fuel and timing on the Remus program to compensate for torque curve differences on the older bikes. What they do on the '05 etc I don't know because I didn't ask.

I'm not trying to be an anti-Remus guy, just want to give honest feedback of my experience with it and advise guys to hear and ride an LT with it prior to plunking down the cash.
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:18 pm

Cool

Didn't think you were being anti-Remus either. What I was primarily referring to was the torque issue. Like you, I am just providing information. With that said let me make a correction. I just spent about two hours down in the garage. I took the left shifter plate off just to be sure that nothing is touching. I was actually surprised to see a dimple exactly parallel to the main shifter bolt. It's not a hammering mark just a dimple that allows about 1/4 inch gap between the pipe and bolt head. Never noticed it before and your post was the first time I have every heard of the need to hammer to fit. As I saw the exhaust removed from its factory packaging and no hammer was used in its installation I can only assume that it came that way from the factory? Based on the extremely close tolerance between these two parts, I can now see how someone may have to adjust it. But on the sound issue, just because some people feel its too loud does not mean they are too loud. Hearing comfort levels are way to subjective. Plus which canister are they referring to? What is satisfy's to one offends another. For some it's BMW blasphemy if you run anything other then OEM exhaust. I have been questioned on why I removed my stock pipes by other BMW riders. Strange you can put enough aftermarket lights on to produce a five mile travel path and blind every other driver on the road and thats OK. But touch those pipes and for some BMW riders you have crossed some imaginary line. If a OEM LT exhaust sound level is a "1" and an unrestricted V-Twin sound level a "10", I would put the Remus at a "3" to "4", an acceptable range for me.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:30 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petre
Keep in mind I ride with all Harley guys who all have Screamin Eagle exhausts. Not a single one of them are quiet.

I also own a custom bike with a 100 CI V-twin with the loudest pipes in our group by a good 5-10 db's.

I know it's relative .... but put it into comparison for those of you that have ridden with the Vtwin crouds.

How loud REALLY is it in comparison ?

SECOND QUESTION ... is the chip really necessary with these exhausts ? I'd much rather tune the bike if it was possible. (Which it may be I've found out)

Thanks!

It's not as loud as the HD exhaust; it's a much more pleasant growl rather than the exploding potato goofiness.

The chip is not required with a Remus; it's completely optional. The stock FI system will adjust for it; a chip or a Power Commander is not a must have if you get a pipe.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in