Rear Brake Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Rear Brake Question

When riding yesterday, I noticed my rear brake pedal depressed further than normal, pumped it one time and had a full pedal, more than normal. The rear brakes then didn't release very well to the point you could tell that they were applied a bit. Anyway, the question is, any ideas on what could cause this? I did pull the rear caliper and after pumping the brakes I couldn't get the pistons on one side (inboard) to go back into the caliper. I opened the bleed screw and they went right back in with no problem. I flushed the system (it was dirty) and put it all back together. Didn't drive it, but I did pump the brakes, still acts the same sitting still. Also, the brake pads are almost completely gone, but I don't really see why that would cause this issue. Seems like the brake pressure is not releasing. Could the master cylinder cause this or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:54 am

Brake suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtebeau
When riding yesterday, I noticed my rear brake pedal depressed further than normal, pumped it one time and had a full pedal, more than normal. The rear brakes then didn't release very well to the point you could tell that they were applied a bit. Anyway, the question is, any ideas on what could cause this? I did pull the rear caliper and after pumping the brakes I couldn't get the pistons on one side (inboard) to go back into the caliper. I opened the bleed screw and they went right back in with no problem. I flushed the system (it was dirty) and put it all back together. Didn't drive it, but I did pump the brakes, still acts the same sitting still. Also, the brake pads are almost completely gone, but I don't really see why that would cause this issue. Seems like the brake pressure is not releasing. Could the master cylinder cause this or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
A couple of questions for you rdtebeau.

1) Did the brake pedal feal spongy or was it rock solid? From your post I presume after pumping it it once it was solid.

2) How badly worn are your pads. Is the wear all on one side or are both the in-side and outside pads worn approximately the same? One set of pads shot and the others almost new indicates a sticking or binding caliper which you mention in your post.

3) Were you borderline low on fluid? If you were leaning the and on a slope you may have got a small air pocket on the first pump quick release bled majority out then second pump was at a slightly different angle and master cylinder received full charge of fluid. ( admitted long shot but possible)

Now time for the real experts to answer.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 8:25 am Thread Starter

1. The pedal felt soft and went away so to speak (like it was bleeding off). The next press gave a solid pedal, but slowly went down, this is when the rear caliper seemed to lock.

2. The pads are worn out, but evenly worn out on both pads.

3. The fluid level was/is okay, not low (was hoping).

I'm thinking maybe the master cylinder is internally leaking by and possibly keeping pressure on after being acitivated and released. Could the ABS unit be causing something like this?

Still wondering?!?!?

Thanks, and sorry for the no name.

Randal Tebeau

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 8:59 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Randal,

I think you have guessed right. Sounds like it may be time to rebuild/replace the master cylinder. Given the age and properties of brake fluid. Have all the prescribed flushes been performed? That is a BIG factor. My old Suzuki had some pretty bad corrosion in the bore after 22 years of service, but I was able to save it with a rebuild kit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:52 am Thread Starter

I've pretty much decided it has to be the master cylinder. I can't find a rebuild kit listed so I'll guess I'll have to go for a new one at $158 and no one has it in stock.....

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in