• 2 Post By DanMartin
  • 2 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By Why aint we riding
  • 1 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Potential 2007 BMW K1200 LT Purchase

Good Day lads,

I am new to this forum but not so new to BMW I am a owner of 06 BMW GS.

I am looking a filling up my garage with another bike and I like the LT for it's style and it handling ability and also that I am looking for a bigger bike that can Tow my Aspen Classic trailer.

I read some people loving them other absolutely hating them for there bad design in some aspects.

Is there anything tips you guys can give me on what to look for on the model.

It's a 2007 Model LT with 65 000 miles and they are asking $6 800 for the bike, the Sales guy said that it's got all it services done etc, but sitting at 65 000 miles is there any expensive services items that's coming up that I might need to know?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Garage
Re: Potential 2007 BMW K1200 LT Purchase

First to qualify this info I have never owned or ridden an LT so this is my obversations from reading the posts of others. I dont know what years have the tremendously expensive non rebuildable brake components but none seem to be cheap. Look for stainless lines first off (about $1K right off if it doesnt have them). If the booster is weak or there are other brake issues from what I have read here they are quite costly (many >$2K) and of course the final drive. I really want an LT and have found several but have also seen several here with $4K plus in brake work and many more with half that invested in stopping. No idea what the going rate is to have the drive rebuilt but I am sure it isnt cheap either. They DO seem to be great bikes if properly cared for and I see many claiming impressive mileage on them without issue.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Welcome to the forum SouthTexas.

Why Aint We Riding hit a couple of the high points. The expensive things that can happen but don't necessarily happen to all LT's because they are all ridden differently would be the O-ring seal inside the clutch that deteriorates from mainly heat and age braking it down and can leak into the clutch. There is no way to inspect it as you would have to tear it down to look and it would need to be replaced if you did it. That is a pretty big job even if you wrench yourself.

Number two would be the slave cylinder. The throw out bearing is in the front of it and if that wears and seizes, it can spin and damage the slave also causing oil to get into the clutch causing you to have to replace a bunch of stuff including that pesky O-ring There is a weep hole you can drill ( dis-assembly required) to give warning of a slave issue so you know you need to service it before it takes your clutch out.

Number three would be the final drive. The consensus of the tech gurus is that these were assembled and shimmed incorrectly at the factory leading to early failure of the crown bearing due to over shimming.

Then lastly are the brakes. I believe and i hope someone corrects me on this. Was looking for a thread to confirm but haven't found it yet. The 2007 I think was when they stopped with the servo assist ABS brakes and also I think that in 2007, they brake lines were factory steel reinforced so if I am right, those would be good points.

I am sure you are going to get more opinions posted and hopefully confirmation on the 2007 ABS brakes and lines but those are the expensive things that many have reported on having to deal with on the LT.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Thank you the welcoming guys so far guys this is all good topics it seem the clutch seal issues is a gamble and you won't know until the clutch start slipping I assume?

Reality it seems is if you are not good with wrenches then you should not buy this bikes either be good swinging a wrench or have DEEP pockets! lol
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexas View Post
Thank you for all the info so far guys this is all good topics it seem the clutch seal issues is a gamble and you won't know until the clutch start slipping I assume?
That is pretty much the case. You can drill a small weep hole in the bottom center of the clutch bell housing and if you get any oil out or seepage after the fact, you know you have an issue.

The clutch slave weep hole videos are listed here and are a good watch. You don't need to disassemble anything to carefully drill the bell housing weep hole.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ing-video.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 2:51 pm

I owned a brand new 2005 and was completely surprised at how well it handled- Flat amazing... I was compelled to sell it when I moved out to the country and riding out on 1 mile of gravel driveway was not fun... If I were to look at buying another LT I would share this concern with you... Get an extended Warranty for any Shaft drive or ABS brake problems..
Other than that I would prefer the Pre 05 ANALOG speedo/instruments and manual Center stand. So I would prolly get an older model 2nd time around
Great MC! Get it and enjoy...

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 9:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome SouthTexas,

Where in S. Texas? It's a big place.

Bike sounds OK, I am frugal, $6200 is my opinion of value.
It does help to be handy with wrenches on the LT.
Take it for a spin.
Make sure the red brake warning lights go out after about 6-10'.
Get it up to 50-60 and hit the brakes a couple of times, easy at first
the brakes are possibly the best you will ever have used. It will stop on a dime.
Make sure the warning lights don't come on.

Take it up to 45-50 in 5th and hammer the throttle. Hang on. I don't know if the '07 has
a tach but on my '03 as long as both needles go clockwise as the same rate,all is well
with the clutch.

Stainless brake lines are about $300 + labor.

Failed rear drive about $300-400.

There are several owners here in S Texas that will teach you more than you want
to know about the LT. Plenty of parts available.

South Texas is a good place to own an LT. Rode to work today,39 degrees and
warm behind the big windshield.

Dan Martin
bmwcoolk1200 and Mark65 like this.
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2016, 10:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This has been a somewhat interesting thread to read, given that I own an '07 LT.

First off, '07's did not come with stainless steel brake lines. I replaced mine with Speigler lines last summer. The cost of doing it yourself (and there is a lot of information and videos on how to do this) cost me probably $275, parts included (fluid and lines).

The final drive failures appear to have been more prevalent with the early models ('99 - '04?).

Many owners have had a weep hole drilled to allow a leaking seal to drain away from the clutch plate. This also serves as a warning sign of the need to replace the seal if you see fluid dripping from under the bike. I have not had this done on mine and the clutch has been fine for 46,000 miles.

In relation to the servo-assisted brakes, as long as the bike has been serviced regularly, including changing the brake fluid and bleeding the system every couple of years, it should be fine. However, if the servo unit goes out, a new one costs about $2,300, excluding labor. Some people that have had this happen, plumb around the unit to bypass the failed part. Earlier years bikes have a unit that has been successfully rebuilt, but the high priced unit cannot, from what I have seen/read so far. There are a couple of companies (one in the USA, another in Germany) that claim to either working on a rebuild or have done a successful rebuild/repair.

If I were to buy another LT, I would stick with the '05 - '09 versions, as they have the electric center stand, revised suspension geometry, and a little more horsepower.

Things to look for when considering an LT are a record of regular maintenance; how clean it is; mileage (don't necessarily get scared away with a higher mileage bike if it has been well maintained); and price.

Bonuses include:

- Stainless steel brake lines
- weep hole already drilled
- metal quick disconnects installed on the fuel tank lines
- Fit-It-Before-It-Breaks top case latch kit installed
- aftermarket seat
- low mileage tires (make sure the rear is marked "Reinforced")
- has it had a canisterectomy (bypassed charcoal canister vent line from the fuel tank, canister is located underneath the top case)

Hope this has been helpful. This site contains a wealth of information and many people with expertise willing to share their knowledge with any problems or questions concerning LT ownership.
eremite06 and johnbaker15 like this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #9 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2016, 6:26 am Thread Starter

JNW003 I'm here in Spring/Houston area in Texas. Wow thanks guys if work don't get in the way I will go and have a look at the bike this weekend. Will keep you guys posted.
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2016, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
This has been a somewhat interesting thread to read, given that I own an '07 LT.

First off, '07's did not come with stainless steel brake lines.

In relation to the servo-assisted brakes,

Thanks for chiming in Dave. based on your input, I gather that you as a 2007 have servo assist ( wizzy ) brakes and that it did not come with SS lines.

I was looking for a thread i recently saw where at least I thought it was in 2007 where those things changed. Mine is a 2001 so that is all I know with 100% certainty.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2016, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Thanks for chiming in Dave. based on your input, I gather that you as a 2007 have servo assist ( wizzy ) brakes and that it did not come with SS lines.

I was looking for a thread i recently saw where at least I thought it was in 2007 where those things changed. Mine is a 2001 so that is all I know with 100% certainty.
Although BMW began shipping stainless-braided brake hoses in many newer generation models in 2005 and later (R1200xx, K1200s, K1300xx, K1600), they NEVER updated the hoses for the K1200LT during same period. All K1200LT of all years come with rubber brake hoses (both ABS2 and servo assisted IABS).

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2016, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Although BMW began shipping stainless-braided brake hoses in many newer generation models in 2005 and later (R1200xx, K1200s, K1300xx, K1600), they NEVER updated the hoses for the K1200LT during same period. All K1200LT of all years come with rubber brake hoses (both ABS2 and servo assisted IABS).
Thanks Sailor. I know I can always count on you to set me straight

I bet the post I was looking for was on a different model thread and that is why I couldn't find it in the LT stuff.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #13 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2016, 10:34 am

Garage

Sorry, Don't know where I got $1K for brake lines from. Just looked at the Speigler site and they are indeed about $257. I had looked at buying an LT a year or so back with brake issues and remembered them as being much more expensive than that. Steve
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Welcome to the site. JNW003 hit a lot of good points. I have a 2007 LT and love the bike. I purchased mine from the original owner in 2008 who bought it new in Florida, drove it to pa. and decided it was to heavy and not his style. The bike had 1095 miles on it. It now has 30K on it with no issues to date. I have followed this site almost everyday for the last seven years and have learned a great deal. I have done most of the upgrades which made sense to mitigate failures or extend the life of parts and systems.The secret to having success with the LT is timely and competent maintenance. I believe many of the ABS units fail either because of excessively dirty brake fluid or disintegration of the internal rubber on the cheap original brake lines which eventually clogs the ABS unit. That is why getting rid of those lines ASAP is important. As far as the rest of the issues a little luck helps but I think regular maintenance is your best prevention. It is important to get all the service records and make sure maintenance was done. If a owner says he did the maintenance himself I would be very skeptical as to whether proper complete maintenance was done as that requires special knowledge, skills and tools. There are many LT's for sale now so do not let your excitement for the new purchase of a machine cloud your judgement. If the bike does not have records of proper maintenance and upgrades, either walk away or get it really really cheap so if major work is needed you won't get hurt to bad on the repairs. I love the bike so much that I have opted to keep it even with all the mechanical failure horror stories hanging over my head. I'm willing to pay the dealer $600 a year to flush the clutch and ABS unit and all lines. I do the rest of the fluid changes myself. I contemplated buying a new bike and test drove many newer ones but there was none that gave me the riding pleasure of the LT so I will continue on with the old girl. Good Luck and knock on wood!.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 25th, 2016, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Hi all

Actually drove 2 hours out of town this weekend to go and have a look at a 2007 Unit with 65000 miles on it for $6800, has a service records back to 2012 and has all the recalls taken care of and had it's 60000 miles service done, test drove it and it run beautiful but initial he offered me extended warranty which the sales guy's boss rejected due to the age of the bike, I walked out, they offered $500 off but I feel it's a little above my budget, as I will still have to do a lot of modification as everybody above mention issues, so I would like to get a cheaper one.

So the search continues there is higher mileage units one that has 88000 miles on the clock and the owner claims he has all the service records, but I will have to see the actual paperwork. The search continues...Will keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in