S. FL New LT Guy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Wink S. FL New LT Guy

Hi everyone, been lurking about awhile.

Almost bought a Gold Wing

Here is why I didn’t:

Late June my SO and brother rode the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC….my wife fell in love with something other than our Harley! We happened to be there just when the Goldwing reunion was finishing up and my wife loved the comfort aspects of a full dressed bike and one of the Wingers obliged her with a ride. From our experience, they are a nice group of people.

A few weeks later I embarked on a mission to evaluate and test ride a GW. We went to two different somewhat local dealerships and telephoned one out of town dealer (150 miles away)

To my utter amazement they did not offer test rides! They wanted me to BUY THE BIKE FIRST and if I didn’t like it in 30 minutes or so they would rip up the sales agreement!!!

I told them I’m not about to go through the paperwork hassle and drop 20 LARGE on anything before a test ride. Didn’t they have a used one or something I could try?? We left with one dealers parting words of “You’ll be back”.

A few days later I Goggled ‘Touring Motorcycles’ and got my first introduction to BMW including this site.

Mid week late July, I visited the ONLY BMW dealer within 75 miles (my SO works to support my toys). To make a long story shorter, we talked for a few hours and the stores owner asked me if I would like a test ride.

It was about 10:30 AM and he said be back by closing at about 6:00 PM!

I came back about 1:00 PM and bargained for a good deal contingent on my wife liking it (remember she LOVED the GW).

The wife got off work early and we made it to the dealer by 5:45 PM and bought the bike…talk about presumptuous, he had it all polished and ready to go with most of the paperwork done!

I was sold because of the following:

*The integrated ABS BRAKES are INCREDIBLE (boy did I test them)!!

*Dealer let me test ride it, no problem

*Two people followed me to a parking lot I stopped at while trying to figure out how to shut off the Seat Heaters I turned on HIGH by mistake (July Ouch!!!). They were quizing me about the bike and how they never saw anything like it, etc., etc.

*Cagers beeping their horns at me with a ‘Thumbs-Up”. I never got so much attention on my other bikes!

*He did not push the sale and allowed me to ask multiple questions, and found out factual answers on questions he did not know

*The stereo, windshield, auto center-stand, etc.

*I was amazed at the ease of handling for such a large bike

*The luggage containers are so seamlessly streamlined into the bikes body and style, doesn’t look like an afterthought.

*The price was not much different than a GW.

We now have about 4000 miles and have done some 600 mile days with no unusual discomfort.

We all have heard of “Buyers Remorse” but what I have now experienced is the rare “REVERSE BUYERS REMORSE” as I love it more and more and always look forward to riding, even when solo.

My only complaint is the weak low end “off the line starting torque”. I am very apprehensive about pushing into marginal traffic from a standstill, probably not a bad thing. I also HATE riding (feathering) the (dry) clutch as much as I need to with two up riding. Any hints on the low end starting torque?

So please welcome us as new, happy SW FL members of the LT family. We’ll be riding a new 2006, Magnesium Black K-1200-LT!

P.S. I purposely laid it down on tarp covered grass to see if I could pick her up myself…I go by the adage I tell my kids “you can’t drive her unless you can get her up!”

We also kept the Harley.

Safe Ridin’ to Ya!

SmokinJoe

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Congratulations and welcome Joe.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Welcome

A year from now you will love it even more. It is the kind of bike you are more wanting to ride than wash!!!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Congratulations, as far as advice, just keep her revved up, shift later, much later than a V-twin, you will find that you have a completely different bike, you should hit the rev limiter once in a while, she will like it, you will like it and your SO won't even notice, it will be so smooth.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Wind it out in each gear Joe, the engine can take it. Many of the riders don't drop below 4000 rpm. I have been known, wearing earplugs, to forget to shift into 5th while cruising at 75+.

With regards to the dry clutch unless you are participating in a police rodeo I wouldn't worry about the clutch and feathering it.

Good luck and glad you are pleased. I once looked at a GW and was so turned off by the dealership with the same attitude you received I find it hard to believe they sell bikes.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe

My only complaint is the weak low end “off the line starting torque”. I am very apprehensive about pushing into marginal traffic from a standstill, probably not a bad thing. I also HATE riding (feathering) the (dry) clutch as much as I need to with two up riding. Any hints on the low end starting torque?

Safe Ridin’ to Ya!

SmokinJoe
Congrats on the new bike.

Just remember first gear is only good up to about 62 MPH, you will hit the rev limiter there. If that don't get you out in traffic I don't know what will. As far as feathering the clutch, only until you are moving then fully release and hammer it - she will pull away just fine. Not like a Harley where you shift to second before you are fully into the lane, just keep her in first a little longer and you will gain some confidence.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:01 pm
fas

Cool welcom Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Almost bought a Gold Wing
SmokinJoe
Good move Smokin' Joe. My pal is the chief chassis engineer at HD. He agrees with me. BMW makes the best riding bike. Honda is fine, just not my flavor. After four years on the LT, I upgraded to the GT. BMW just feels right to me.

Hope your gal is as happy as mine has been since we moved to BMW. She has been hanging on the back of my bikes since '71 and this '06 GT is her favorite of all.

As for low speed, don't be shy about revs. Ain't the same as the HD twin torque curve.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 5:21 pm

Welcome aboard Joe, nice to have another FL rider in the group. As the others have said the LT power band is up high. She is a bit of a slouch out of the hole but you can get from stop to freeway speed plenty quick by keeping the R's up, the bike loves it. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Smile Love it

Hey Joe;

Ride it like you stole it. Im from west palm beach. Get on the turnpike and let her rip. She loves it at 100 or so. And she does get BETTER after about 20000. I have 50000. No problems. Best bike ever after 36 years of riding.
Come see us maybe you can get me some curves in this state.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Welcome Joe

Welcome to the forum and the club, you already know this but you made the right move,
yeah you may have kept that Harley for now,
I did that too but when I realized that I hadn't put last years sticker on my license plate yet and it was already time to renew,
I realized it was time to get rid of the HD.
Now that its cooling of a little (only 88 today) we'll be talking about a Florida ride to eat (RTE) meeting pretty soon and if you can attend you'll have the opportunity to meet some of the other Florida LT riders.
until then.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Florida ride to eat (RTE)

Now that its cooling of a little (only 88 today) we'll be talking about a Florida ride to eat (RTE) meeting pretty soon and if you can attend you'll have the opportunity to meet some of the other Florida LT riders.
until then.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hans!

looking forward to the RTE!!! Planning the Biketoberfest in Daytona...

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Riding double up from a stop: I found out where the bike will stall and just a touch above that I let out the clutch and turn the throttle up just a little. I don't have to slip the clutch very much and it pulls strongly from that point on. I ride alot on A1A and there is lots of stops and traffic at the beach. Like anything, practice! As for performace, I can only say my '04 LT is quicker than a new Corvette in a drag race. No admissions on how I know that ....
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:36 pm

She is a bit of a porker at low speeds, but the fat lady loves to sing so don't be afraid of revving her up. Ron
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Welcome to the world of beemers, you'll find a wealth of information here and some good folks. Enjoy your LT and your'll never go back to the dark side

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in