Smoke!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Smoke!!!

I know the Lt will smoke sometimes when left on sidestand prior to start up. It happens rarely with my scooter but it does happen. Last nite was different. I haven't ridden the Lt in about a month because I have been riding my other scooter to work. It has been on the center stand with the ignition switch in the lock position. I get a call from a buddy to ride to dinner and go out to crank her up. Battery is dead. Hook the charger for 45min @ 10 amps. She cranks right up. I pull her out of the garage park crossways with the drive, side stand uphill. She is nearly vertical and I let her idle. I know your not supposed to but I was worried about the battery. Maybe 3 minutes passed while I was getting gear on and I noticed smoke. I got on her and rode down the alley to the street and probably a quarter of a mile before the smoke subsided. It looked as though I was fogging mosquitoes. The oil is in the top of the sightglass and has 3k on it from the 12k service. Did all that oil pass around the valve guides from not returning from the head because of the slight lean angle on the sidestand?
My neighbor was in his drive and saw the fog. And as you would know, he rides a harley. I can imagine the grief I'll get from him tonight.
The scooter ran like a top the rest of the night. Just lookin for any words of wisdom from you guys that know this scooter much better than I do.

Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Wink

she was mad at you for not paying attention to her for the past month.

chris k
N Kentucky
2002 LTE "Matilda"
1985 Goldwing
1986 Suzuki GS650
2002 Jeep Wrangler
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:37 pm

My LT has done a similar thing a couple of times. It can get quite heavy so people will notice it easily. I have had my LT for more than 7 years so I don't think there is any real problem. Unless yours does it often it shouldn't hurt anything. Hopefully your Harley buddy doesn't say a whole lot.

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:54 pm

I may not have this exactly right.

On a battery dead or disconnect situation when you turn the bike on for the first time before you start it:
With ignition on give the throttle 2 full turns before starting.

This sets the TPS so it knows where closed and full open are. Chances are it was confused due to the dead battery and long idle session, so it took a while to get the fuel mixture right.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Mine sometimes smokes _very_ slightly after being left on the sidestand. I'm still nervous about trying out the center stand for the first time without any helper standing by just in case.... One time recently, it smoked as much as yours did. Clouded up my whole front yard while I was putting on my helmet and gloves, then it stopped as I got on and rode off. Just that once so far in the 2 months I've owner her.
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Could also be the over rich at idle smoke you were seeing. That is where all the soot on the exhaust comes from. It is best not to let it idle long unless she is fully warmed up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Dave,
The smoke was from oil not fuel. The battery wasn't completely dead, but it would only turn the old girl over once. Fuel smoke would have been black. This was blue and there was a lot of it. I was shocked at how much oil was getting into the combustion chamber. You would have thought I had run a pint of upper lube in the intake. Thanks for the input.

Doc
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Doc,

Re-read your post. The way oil gets into the cylinders is past the rings not the valve guides. There is no accumulation of oil in the cylinder head that would reach the valve guides. The more oil trapped (side stand first)and the longer it sits there (center stand) the more smoke you get.

If you shut down the bike and immediately put it on the side stand before putting it up on the center stand then you can let oil accumulate in the cylinder area. The best way is to shut it down, hold it vertical to let the oil drain into the sump for a few seconds then lean her over.

Hope it got rid of the mosquitos.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

I have a hard time believing that much oil got past the rings. I'm not that familiar with the Lt engine but I've been rebuilding engines since I was knee high to a grasshopper and oil does get into combustion chambers via valve guides if the galleys are deluged with oil in the valve train area. I would believe that before I would believe the rings allowed that much oil by.

Doc
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
Dave,
Fuel smoke would have been black.
Doc,
Yep I should have asked what color the smoke was. I thought the battery was completly discharged.

I never got to experience the smokin' LT I always parked her on the centerstand ('05).

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #11 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Doc, I have experienced, and continue to experience the same thing as you.
I noticed however that my bike smokes a lot more after being driven in city traffic for a while before parking. Sometime it smokes for almost a mile in the morning after being parked overnight immediately following a heavy freeway commute where i have to split lanes to ride at 15 MPH. Letting the bike idle before shutting the engine does not help at all, and the parking ground is uneven so using the center stand is out of question.
I just learned to live with it...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 5:09 pm

LT's will normally only do this when there is a crowd around, Like several Harley's or Goldwings.

I explain that BMW's are built to last, so they have a pre-oiling mechanism that injects oil into the cylinders at start up.

Say it with a strait face
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
I have a hard time believing that much oil got past the rings. I'm not that familiar with the Lt engine but I've been rebuilding engines since I was knee high to a grasshopper and oil does get into combustion chambers via valve guides if the galleys are deluged with oil in the valve train area. I would believe that before I would believe the rings allowed that much oil by.

Doc
True for most UPRIGHT engines all the oil is below the rings and only runs down hill from there. Take that same engine and lay it on its side (slightly down hill to the head) and pour oil around the piston. Oil will seep by. Also for the same reason oil does not pool around the valve guides as they are on the side rather than top of the engine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 16 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 5:07 pm

Holy Smokes

It's a characteristic of the flying brick motor. My '03 GT did it all the time when left on the side stand. Embarrasing sometimes riding up the road laying down a smokescreen. Could just read the minds of the cage drivers "what a crappy bike". But, it soon passes.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #15 of 16 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:22 pm

If you have a hard time imagining how all that oil could get past the rings, remember, there IS a gap somewhere along the ring, and just imagine that gap sometimes does wind up on the bottom of the piston, making it easier for oil to pass by ... at least that scenario makes sense to me....
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:27 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Also bear in mind rings seal very well under combustion pressure but static seal is poor. Other wise you could not turn the engine over by hand and it would not turn over with the starter with out a compression release.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in