Any Harley or Goldwing converts here? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Any Harley or Goldwing converts here?

I used to ride H-D (2 Road King's and an Ultra) but now I ride a BMW 1150 RT-P. It's an awesome bike. I was amazed at how much cooler it was than the HD and having ridden a bike with ABS, I'm just not going to be without it.

But I miss the tunes/weather band and the ability to take my wife riding with me. I was contemplating a Gold Wing but read on GW message boards about alot of problems and a MoCo that seems to really not care about it's customers, so I'm not sure about the GW now.

I'm leaning toward the LT...probably over the winter. Has anyone made the LT switch after riding either the GW or HD (I'm sure some of you have )

I was hoping for honest insights about your experiences.

Many thanks for your time!

Coop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:53 am

Hd - Lt

I still have a HD but I have done the HD Ultra classic in 1991 and in 2005. The LT is a far superior riding machine than the HD The HD is slow and requires way too much shifting in the mountain twisties where the LT has great roll-on power thruout. For touring, I decided after getting caught on the interstate in a traffic jam, that I really like water cooled as opposed to air cooled when you are not moving or moving very slowly. Also rode an Ultra classic in vegas once and I thought my doodads were baking into potato chips from the heat off the left pipe under my leg. My opinion if you want to do some serious long distance riding then get the LT.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #3 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:08 pm

H/D Convert

I had 4 HDs, 1 Road King Classic, 1 Standard & 2 Ultra's.
I now have a 06 Lt
No comparison, fuel economy, acceleration, handling, safety and reliability the LT has it by far.
The only down side was seat comfort, on long rides 4 plus hours my butt aches, I tried the beaded seat cover, a gel pad and now I am on a sheepskin pad. The sheepskin seems to be the best for me.
The cost for service seems to be about the same! TOO HIGH! for both.

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:10 pm
Gold Supporter

In 02 I was in the Honda shop getting ready to buy my 9th wing but the salesman kept comparing it to a Harley, so I decided to go look at the H-D's before I signed on the dotted line. Fell in love with an 02 pearl white Ultra Classic. Had it for almost three years, but it wasn't as good a riding machine as the Wings. That and every 2,500 miles I was spending a lot of money on it, so I sold it and was going to get another Wing. Picked out a white 30th anniversary edition and was going to go back the next day. That evening my wife and I were driving by the new BMW dealership here and she asked if I had looked at BMW's. I had owned an RS100 back in the 70's when I lived in Germany, so we decided to pop in and have a look. The looks and features of the bike sold me and I bought an 05 LT without even riding one. Everything about the bike is better than the Wings and H-D can't even start to compare. Ride, handling, comfort (after I put on the Corbin seat), two up seating may go to the Wing, but my wife loves the LT and you know what they say about Momma being happy. Now I own an 06 and love her even more. Not looking back at either the Wing or the H-D now. My 06 is in for her 6K service and adding some lights to the front today and I am missing her, cause it is 82 degrees outside and the sun is shinning. We should be riding and enjoying the weather.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Like Marc I also still own a HD. Mine is a customized '02 Heritage Classic. I wanted something more suitable to long distance touring and the condition of my aging physiology. I also wan't something I felt good about commuting with. My Heritage is too pretty to get dirty so I wanted something that didn't require five hours of cleaning and polishing if I rode it in the rain. I live in Seattle so that is a pretty regular occurence.

I just finished a 30 day 8900+ mile adventure to the 2006 Curve Cowboy Reunion and back and I wouldn't even think of doing it on my Heritage. My longest day was almost 1100 miles with 18 hours in the saddle and I could have done more. A 400 mile day on my Heritage feels like torture and I am pretty much wiped out physically.

I also agree with all the other comments that have been made so far. It is hard to beat a K1200LT for comfort, weather protection and performance.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Hi Coop, We may have had very similar past riding experiences. When I got back into riding around 1999, I owned and rode a H-D Dyna Defender at my job (Police). Then one day I took BMW up on their offer to loan me an RT-P for a week. Picked it up in midtown Manhattan, and by the time I was in the tunnel heading back to NJ (about 5 minutes) I was hooked on BMW. Eventually sold the Harley bought a R1200C Montana. Enjoyed the heck out of it for about 4 or 5 years, then felt the urge for something "bigger", more for touring. Got an 1150RT. Liked it very much, it handled like everyone else's 250, very nimble but the sport riding position bothered my ankles/legs. (Middle-age, arthritis- yadda,yadda..)
I know there's solutions for the pegs, etc, but I also wanted a good stereo. Sold the RT and bought an '02 LT without ever having ridden one. This bike is a dream come true. Takes some getting used to, it IS big, and feels heavy only at very slow speeds, but you definitely have to pay attention at those slow speeds. It's about as comfortable as sitting in your car (I think its a little bigger than my first car was) and I'm loving the stereo and weather radio. I rarely ride two-up, its usually just me and the radio.

I say "go for it" and if you want to check the LT out, give me a shout, we're kinda neighbors.
post #7 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

George...

Yeah...I'm up in Sussex County. My "Physiology" is cropping up lately too

The RT-P is awesome but my hips get kind of sore riding it after a couple of hours. I was hoping the LT seat position brings your hands a little further back and the feet a little further forward thus eliminating some pressure on my hips.

I was hoping that BMW might offer some cut rate financing on bikes this winter too

Coop
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Hello, Coop,
Many dittos to all the above. Sold my 04 UltraClassic and bought an '06 LT last November and hav never regretted it. Took a 3000 mile trip last June through New England. Had a close encounter with a moose in VT. God bless those great brakes. Made the CCR in GA, too. Had a great time with a great bike. All this at 70 years old. Still have a Harley Springer Classic but love the LT.
post #9 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopjr
I used to ride H-D (2 Road King's and an Ultra) but now I ride a BMW 1150 RT-P. It's an awesome bike. I was amazed at how much cooler it was than the HD and having ridden a bike with ABS, I'm just not going to be without it.

But I miss the tunes/weather band and the ability to take my wife riding with me. I was contemplating a Gold Wing but read on GW message boards about alot of problems and a MoCo that seems to really not care about it's customers, so I'm not sure about the GW now.

I'm leaning toward the LT...probably over the winter. Has anyone made the LT switch after riding either the GW or HD (I'm sure some of you have )

Coop
I can from a GL1500. While it was a great dependable bike it really didn't draw me outside and say ride me. Heat management and 'ride'ability are outstanding coming from a GL1500. I can't speak from any GL1800 experience.

With the GL1500 if I did a 500 mile day I felt really tired unless it was one of those textbook days.. low 70's, low humidity, great roads but take away any of those and it was a long day.. on the LT none of those things need to be present to make it a great day on the road.. A good example of that was last weekend ... I went to a tech session in Upstate NY.. 520 mile round trip and 5 hours there 2 hours working on my bike and 2 hours trying to help.. Started out from home at 6 AM and back home 8:30 PM. Great trip on my GL that would not have been.

On the LT I can do 750 a day and repeat as necessary.. 1K day puts me to my limit.

The LT is kind of unique pretty much everywhere you go so you always get lots of comments.. and the single HD riders actually will wave... but of course put two of them together and they can't see over the center line..

JM2CW

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Coop, You WILL notice the difference in riding position and comfort level in going from an RT to an LT. I never got used to the feeling (and reality) of sliding down the seat and onto the back of the tank of the RT. Maybe that's what 's wearing on you- trying to hold yourself to where you feel you should be on the seat, etc. With the LT, you're seated more like a Harley police bike. Same goes for the R1200 Cruiser, now that was a very comfortable riding position. The handlebars reach waay back to you. But it ain't no tourer.
post #11 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopjr

Coop

yes, rode HD since 18 did the switch in '02 - 127k miles on a K1200Lt now somehwere well above 500 on hd shoot probably much more.. , there are other options out ther for music cb ect ect you can add to your RT

so if you sit down and read this site, you will see a ton of problems the MoCo doesn;t really care about
Just like Honda and HD
onlynow you will the best machine on the road that the moco doesn;t care about

we just bought two more new bmw's
so that should say it all

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Smile

After 6 Harley Dressers and 2 Goldwings over a 30 year span NOTHING but nothing handles like my 05 LT. Period. My LT holds a line thru a curve unlike anything else I ever ridden considered a Touring Bike.

Seating position & Place to put your feet : >>>> HD

Handling, performance, brakes >>>> BMW All the way... No Comparision with the Goldwing or Harley.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #13 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Just please the SO!

Just please the SO and buy a new LT. Or at least one with a warranty, just in case.

I rodean HD Road Glide and thought I loved it until I mounted my "03 LT.

You really can't compare as th LT is tops on goodies, ride, fun. There isn't much to add to the standard features.

MY wife loves the ride, the heated seat and back rest, the rear control of the 6 CD changer. I have to pry her off when we stop and sneak out the driveway to take a ride solo.

Up keep the HD was about the same as the LT. 25000 on the HD and 11000 on the LT since last april.

They haven't made the perfect bike yet and probably never will. Hard to please everyone. Lets be glad we have a choice!
I choose the LT, hands down! What a machine!

Hope you come across the one for you!

Hope my .02 helps.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #14 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:01 pm

LT Vs Farm Implement

I've been riding HD's off & on since I was 17. Went with two friends to BMW dealer in July because one of them was interested in an LT. All three of us have been riding together since we met at the local HOG club in '99. Two of us had no intension of buying one and making the usual jokes that harley riders make about other bikes. Well the dealer turned us lose with the LT for the day. Long story short all three of us bought one when we got back to dealer. I got mine the Friday July 29. The salesman ask me when I wanted to do my 600 mile service I said Monday he said can't do that closed on Monday how about Tuesday. I have 27,000+ miles on it now. I have only ridin the HD twice since I got the LT. My signature line kinda sums it up.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #15 of 22 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:03 pm

HD.. Had Dat. As an OBM, (Officially Banished Motorcyclist) from HD, I haven't missed them.

So, grab the LT, look down the road and go try to find it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 8:37 am

I'm one also. Ultra classic. I con now never go back to HD unless thay make LOT's of changes. I now like having a bike that will pass a truck without spending $$$on motor and pipes just to make it keep up with a bicycle on a downhill ride. Mama liked the HD better for getting on and off and she still likes the sound (OK, I do too) but the LT just is more fun.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #17 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:33 am

Coop,

Have you ridden both? While I like my LT, the service is expensive and I must say the number of warranty issues I have had has been alarming. There has been nothing monumentally wrong with the bike, but I expected more from a "premium" motorcycle. That being said, everyone here was right about the handling and performance of the bike.

I might suggest you ride both for a weekend. This might give you a chance for a couple of weekend rides to see the colors up there and test out both the GW and LT. They are roughly the same price and have the same kind of fanatical following.

The bottom line is that on a GW board you will get nothing but kudos for the Hondas. On a BMW board you will get nothing but kudos for the LT. I ride both a Honda and an LT. When deciding on the LT I was advised by all my Honda friends that I should get the Wing as that was just superior to pretty much everything. I figured that I needed to make the choice for me and not worry too much about other's criticism (you know the old line about opinions....)

I went against the grain and bought the BMW. For me it was the right choice even with the aggravating service and warranty issues. I find that I call it my "SUV" as it has almost as much storage room. I find that commuting on it is easy and comfortable, and that I can go anywhere comfortably. As a bonus, my wife loves it and actually rides on it. She will not ride on my Honda (no, it is not a wing).

But to balance out my pleasant experiences my bike has earned its name:

Junior (as in Harley Davidson Junior)
post #18 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:40 am

Went from FLHTCI to K1200LT and never looked back. Awesome performance and braking etc....... plus I no longer need to dress like a pirate.
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:57 am

Roadglide to LT

I had a 2000 Roadglide before my LT, and don't plan to go back to a Harley as long as I'm riding 15,000 miles a year. After a 600 mile day, I don't feel nearly as tired on the LT as I did on the Harley. I think just the better handling and adjustable windshield add up to a better ride on a long day, especially if you're on fun roads. I adjust the windshield several times a day on long rides and have gotten spoiled. There are plenty of other features on the LT that other folks can list.
Besides, HD riders don't have a forum like this. I've used what I've read here to do nearly all of my maintenance and upgrades.
post #20 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 2:00 pm

I can throw my 2 cents in:
1) there is definitely a mystique riding an HD. I rode a Softtail Deluxe for a while. Have gotten way more compliments on my LT than I ever got on the HD. Great cruiser, cool to ride, comfy, stock exhaust isn't too loud, very pretty bike... I just wouldn't want to purchase HD for $25k, add $10k worth of chrome and accessories that should just come standard for $25k, plus repairs/service. With LT, or any Beamer for that matter, you get the bike with everything you want, plus access to forums like this and the great people out there who love riding. Not people that ride with ridiculous exhaust, revving past grocery stores, dressed in orange, and "ride to live" but really just "ride because I have a Harley and you don't, so my shlong must be bigger."
2) the only reason I feel bad for not buying an HD is because I live in Milwaukee (both Mil & Madison). HD is huge here. If you drive through Detroit, you see nothing but Ford and GM - same goes for HD in Wisconsin. HD is Milwaukee is why Wisc will never pass a helmet law, but that's another subject. I didn't let living in America keep me from buying a European car. Same goes for my LT.
3) this IS a BMW forum, so the convert population is probably pretty high. Has anyone ever realized that people rarely convert from a Wing or LT TO an HD? I have yet to meet a person that wasn't completely satisfied with their Honda or BMW. Yet, talking to some HD owners, I've gotten mixed reactions.

The only way I would look into converting to a full dress HD someday is if I had the money. Then again, why leave BMW when they make a superior bike? I guess it all depends on personal preference. People are happy with and passionate about whatever bike they choose. We here on bmwlt.com just inform that falling in love with a BMW won't be as hard on your wallet and tolerance for repairs in the future... and your ears and back muscles.

Sorry for the epic novel of a post. I'm just convinced that HD isn't the bike to get. IMO, I feel such libel & slander is like blasphemy since I live in Milwaukee.
post #21 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:04 pm

harley rider too

I likewise have a 97 Ultra Classic, and I do love it. However, there is no comparison to the two bikes. The Lt wins hands down in almost every single area. I do think my Harley handles more stable in the wind, and as far as the actual seat comfort goes, I think they are pretty equal. HOWEVER, the ride on the LT is superior, as is the handling and overall comfort. My biggest concern about the BMW its proclivity to break down and their lack of service. I am over 100 miles from the nearest dealer, and I have serious concerns about the rear end failures I read about on the LT's, especially the earler ones. I have a 2000 LT. Also, my ABS lights are flashing, and I am told that if the flush of the brake fluid does not work, the next step is to replace the ABS unit--and the parts alone are $1600 plus. Of course I can put tape over the flashing lights too, which is what I will probably do. BUT, one of the main reasons I was drawn to the BMW in the first place was the ABS braking system. In that regards I am more than a little disappointed. I bought this 2000 LT last November and it had 8500 miles on it. I now have approximately 19000, but I think the breaks on any quality vehicle should last longer than that. I can honestly say I have had only a few problems with my Harley. Again, the LT wins, but my next bike might be a Goldwing. jrlakin
post #22 of 22 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:46 pm

Disregard any problems you may have read about on the GL1800. I read about just as many here on the LT board.

You need to test ride both the LT and the 1800 and with your passenger. Make the decision based on those rides and not what people will tell you about their ride.

Everyone loves the motorcycle they own! If not, they should get a different one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in