Brake Line Outer Diameter - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 13th, 2016, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Brake Line Outer Diameter

As a new owner, I spent time watching the BMW how-to videos. Great Stuff! Brake line replacement is high on the list of things to do. So, I am ready to make the change soon. I wasn't able to get a background history of my K1200LT because of purchasing at a non-bmw dealer.

Anyways, it seems the previous owner took good care of the bike and made quite a few upgrades. I was looking at the brake lines a little closer and they seem rather thick. On the back, it looks like a rubber hose covers another brake line on the inside and feels like it may cover the recommended steel mesh lines. Of course, I don't want to poke around too much and cause a problem if the lines aren't covered.

So, what is the outer diameter of stock brake lines for a 2002 LT? This will give me something to compare.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Re: Brake Line Outer Diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
As a new owner, I spent time watching the BMW how-to videos. Great Stuff! Brake line replacement is high on the list of things to do. So, I am ready to make the change soon. I wasn't able to get a background history of my K1200LT because of purchasing at a non-bmw dealer.

Anyways, it seems the previous owner took good care of the bike and made quite a few upgrades. I was looking at the brake lines a little closer and they seem rather thick. On the back, it looks like a rubber hose covers another brake line on the inside and feels like it may cover the recommended steel mesh lines. Of course, I don't want to poke around too much and cause a problem if the lines aren't covered.

So, what is the outer diameter of stock brake lines for a 2002 LT? This will give me something to compare.

Thanks for the help!
I threw mine away including the first new stock one i had already replaced when i did Spieglers or I would go put a caliper on one. As I remember, there may have been an outer rubber sleeve on the stock ones probably to protect from chafing. The Spieglers are much thinner and the steel braid is visible on mine under a clear cover.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't have mine anymore either, but this is what you have. There is no steel in the stock lines just an outer rubber, fiber weave and small inner rubber. These were 10 years old when I changed them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5310.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	96602   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5309.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	96610  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I don't have mine anymore either, but this is what you have. There is no steel in the stock lines just an outer rubber, fiber weave and small inner rubber. These were 10 years old when I changed them out.
Thanks for the pics and explanation! Do you think the ridges on the outer hose are standard?

Strange that these brake lines have problems. You would think they are reinforced well from looking at them. I wonder if people get a lot of salt and brine on them from the winter time and that would contribute to the line failures.
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 15th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Thanks for the pics and explanation! Do you think the ridges on the outer hose are standard?
They all do but most lines have an additional sleeve that covers them for abrasion protection. The one short one on the front does not.

Also the inner rubber on mine was very gooey and soft so I suspect they fail from the inside out. They were in service for 10-11 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line sleeve.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	96682   Click image for larger version

Name:	short line.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	96690  
beech likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in