Sena SMH10 Speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Whiskey
  • 1 Post By Bighopper
  • 1 Post By OKUIII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 13th, 2016, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Sena SMH10 Speakers

The speakers in the Sena SMH10 helmet headset stink. Have any of you had success in changing or replacing the helmet speakers with something of better quality?? Thank you for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 13th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Garage
Re: Sena SMH10 Speakers

I don't have experience with the Sena, but I use the Scala Rider. Because of where the speakers are mounted they are necessarily small, which translates to very thin sounding. Also the power that the headset is pushing them with is limited. You may be asking a bit much of them.

I can tell you that positioning is everything. You want the speakers sitting right on your ears in the helmet and pointed right at them. If they're just a hair off from straight at your ears you'll lose what little bass they do put out. Depending on your helmet you may even want to add some padding behind them to close the gap on your ears. I spent a few hours in my living room getting them situated in my helmet before I got the best possible sound out of them.
LeeBee likes this.

2000 R1100RT
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5lo View Post
The speakers in the Sena SMH10 helmet headset stink. Have any of you had success in changing or replacing the helmet speakers with something of better quality?? Thank you for your response.
This might be of interest.

Tork Xpro Elements (no wires)
LeeBee likes this.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:28 am

I purchased the Sena 20s in July 15...I was very excited because it was everything I had wanted and I did a lot of research....I almost cried after the first week. I could not hear anything....nothing...Very low voice from Sena and music...I thought I had the speakers installed correctly......So, I researched and bought the iASUS Logistics XSound 3 Helmet Speakers. (Part number IAXS3 )

I took out the Sena speakers and installed these....I have an Arai Q-RX Medium....Again I was frustrated..These speakers are just a tad larger and have to be placed "EXACTLY" over the ear canals....I twisted the helmet and Wow.....what a difference....The sound was 100% better and louder than the Sena's...But again, they have to be precisely placed......After 10 min of re-directing the speakers, it is great. So loud and clear that I have to turn down sound. At 75-80 mph on a new R1200gs paired with the Nav 5 and iPhone 6plus, things are great.

I am sure the Sena speakers will work if you can get them centered on the ear canal....but the iASUS are worth the $99 ....Just disconnect the Sena speakers and plug the 3.5mm into the Sena.....Works perfectly..

Hope this helps

IASUS Concepts - XSound 3 (XS3) Helmet Speakers
LeeBee likes this.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:36 am

I purchased the Sena 20s in July 15...I was very excited because it was everything I had wanted and I did a lot of research....I almost cried after the first week. I could not hear anything....nothing...Very low voice from Sena and music...I thought I had the speakers installed correctly......So, I researched and bought the iASUS Logistics XSound 3 Helmet Speakers. (Part number IAXS3 )

I took out the Sena speakers and installed these....I have an Arai Q-RX Medium....Again I was frustrated..These speakers are just a tad larger and have to be placed "EXACTLY" over the ear canals....I twisted the helmet and Wow.....what a difference....The sound was 100% better and louder than the Sena's...But again, they have to be precisely placed......After 10 min of re-directing the speakers, it is great. So loud and clear that I have to turn down sound. At 75-80 mph on a new R1200gs paired with the Nav 5 and iPhone 6plus, things are great.

I am sure the Sena speakers will work if you can get them centered on the ear canal....but the iASUS are worth the $99 ....Just disconnect the Sena speakers and plug the 3.5mm into the Sena.....Works perfectly..

Hope this helps

IASUS Concepts - XSound 3 (XS3) Helmet Speakers

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5lo View Post
Check these out on Amazon. Good Reviews. Pricey but good sound.
XSound 3 High Def Helmet Speakers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in