The issue continues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Question The issue continues

If you read my thread about the bike dying as it was shifted into first, then you know the symptoms that I previously reported (if you didn't read it, too bad! ).

Well, it gets worse. It seems that she doesn't want to start from a cold start. When she does, she doesn't want to keep running. After about five minutes of being helped to run, she stays running and everything is good.

Not being good enough of a wrench myself, I took her to the dealership yesterday so that they can look into it (that is what a warrenty is for, right?).

In trading emails with my father (he rides a 'Wing, but I don't hold that against him ) about the fact that I have to take my cage into work currently, he thought that it might be that the computer is thinking that the external temperature is warmer than it actually is (it's gotten a touch colder here in the last few days) and, thus, is starving the engine for the gas needed to get it warmed up. <wow, that was a long sentence!> This is the exact opposite problem that he had with one of his cages (there, the computer thought that it was colder and was giving too much gas to the engine and flooded it).

I thought that this theory is very sound. In fact, to me, it sounds spot on! Then again, I've already admitted my lack of expertise!

Any other thoughts?

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Dealer visit might be a good idea

I'm a DIY'er on just about everything but given the symptoms you describe, I'd at least take the bike to a dealer and have them read out any fault codes on the MoDiTek computer. I may tell you that a sensor or something else is bad.
Lots easier than trying to chase the problem down without the service computer.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 8:15 pm

2005's had some bad Fuel pump relay's. They failed when "cold".. hmm.. So, should be an easy find for the mechanic based upon your curent failure rate.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I'm a DIY'er on just about everything but given the symptoms you describe, I'd at least take the bike to a dealer and have them read out any fault codes on the MoDiTek computer. I may tell you that a sensor or something else is bad.
Lots easier than trying to chase the problem down without the service computer.
Hopefully, that's what they are doing..

My big hope at the moment is that they already found the problem. The weather is taking an upswing and might not happen now, as it was when colder if they try to reproduce the problem.

Cfell - your diagnosis sounds like a winner, as well.

I just want to ride!!!

AJ

post #5 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Update!

Just spoke with the head tech at the dealership (actualy one of the owners of the place) and he said that they replaced four of the spark plugs - they were gunked-up. After that, she fired right up and ran like a champ. They couldn't find anything else wrong.

I'm in work mode right now, so my brain is off ( ). Does this sound like it would cause what I described?

AJ

post #6 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
Just spoke with the head tech at the dealership (actualy one of the owners of the place) and he said that they replaced four of the spark plugs - they were gunked-up. After that, she fired right up and ran like a champ. They couldn't find anything else wrong.

I'm in work mode right now, so my brain is off ( ). Does this sound like it would cause what I described?
My question would be "Why all 4 plugs are gunked up on a 2006 bike". Something else is wrong here!

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
My question would be "Why all 4 plugs are gunked up on a 2006 bike". Something else is wrong here!

Ron
Concur. That's downright Twilight Zone.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Concur. That's downright Twilight Zone.
I've done a bit of searching through some of the older threads. I'm wondering if, for some reason, the computer switched into "Limp home mode".. Some of the same symptoms had been present. The techs said that they checked through all the electronics (presumably just checking for error codes) and found no problems...

As of right now, the bike is home and she's running fine. I think that they either unplugged the battery or pulled some fuses to reset things, as the clock was *way* off when I got back on and my trip meters were reset.

Does anyone know if the same fuse on the 2006's that is for the O2 sensors and such is for the Motronic? The owners manual does not specifically state that, but it's the only one that makes sense (and since they changed the fuse blocks from the older models, the wonderful diagrams that others have posted on here don't work). I'm thinking about giving it a reset myself to make sure that I can start from a clean slate.

AJ

post #9 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 5:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
I've done a bit of searching through some of the older threads. I'm wondering if, for some reason, the computer switched into "Limp home mode".. Some of the same symptoms had been present. The techs said that they checked through all the electronics (presumably just checking for error codes) and found no problems...

As of right now, the bike is home and she's running fine. I think that they either unplugged the battery or pulled some fuses to reset things, as the clock was *way* off when I got back on and my trip meters were reset.

Does anyone know if the same fuse on the 2006's that is for the O2 sensors and such is for the Motronic? The owners manual does not specifically state that, but it's the only one that makes sense (and since they changed the fuse blocks from the older models, the wonderful diagrams that others have posted on here don't work). I'm thinking about giving it a reset myself to make sure that I can start from a clean slate.
let me ask you this, just how low of rpm do you ride this bike at?

seriously low rpms in traffic all the time will let the plugs foul, the computer learns your low rpm driving habits and for some reason just feeds it fuel fuel fuel,

I had a short trip to work in fl in traffic, and would notice my plugs fouling quickly, I then started running up 1st gear, it helped the problem. later after I started doing my own service as it fouled plugs prematurely again,
I switched to a single electrode plug and opened the gap up some, problem went away, I actually get about 3-5 mpg
more out of it now.

so there are two things you might try to keep it from happening again

Higher rpms!! the lt does not like low rpm, run it at 4k in traffic take her above 4k often it will clear her up, you can actually hear if you hold the htrottle open a few k rpm the bike miss when the plugs are starting to go bad, hole the rpm up higher yet and it will clear out, unless you have waited till a plug has completly fouled

Switch to a single electrode plug and open the gap up (mine are at .045) it runs great and my plugs last longer

now almost all you r problems are solved with the LT

next switch over to a external air and fuel filter and do your own services

you will learn your machine save money and become ONE with it <grin>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Last edited by tmgs; Sep 22nd, 2006 at 5:22 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in