FD Registry - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 8th, 2016, 10:38 am Thread Starter

FD Registry

Is there a way to look at the final drive failure registry and determine if my "new to me 2001 LT " has had a failure? No information from previous owners. No medical history on bike. Don't know if it will really tell me anything but peace of mind? Did look at the thread on the registry but really didn't see anything useful. Bought from a non BMW dealer without info. Closest dealer 120Mi .Don't know them from Adam. Some nice dealer get me info just to be nice? Thanks SteveN

Last edited by lsnutter; Jan 8th, 2016 at 10:41 am. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 8th, 2016, 10:50 am

Re: FD Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnutter View Post
Is there a way to look at the final drive failure registry and determine if my "new to me 2001 LT " has had a failure? No information from previous owners. No medical history on bike. Don't know if it will really tell me anything but peace of mind? Did look at the thread on the registry but really didn't see anything useful. Bought from a non BMW dealer without info. Closest dealer 120Mi .Don't know them from Adam. Some nice dealer get me info just to be nice? Thanks SteveN
Welcome Steven.

You can take the VIN to the dealer and they can see if it was repaired under warranty but unless you have the bikes papers or can track the owners back, there is no way to know I am aware of.

I bought my 2001LT with no papers and am slowly going through and hitting the potential trouble areas and documenting them as I go. Do you know how many owners the bike has had? I was able to find that I am the 5th owner but not the identity of any previous owner besides the one I got it from and registrations showed the original owner was the only one who put any real mileage on it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 8th, 2016, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

There were 2 different people listed on the registration papers. Looked like the last 2 before me. Both from South Texas area. Have not tried to contact these people. Entered the VIN and got a confusing list of incidents including final drive . I say confusing because I couldn't tell how many times the FD was repaired.

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 8th, 2016, 3:11 pm

I had mine checked and there was no mention of FD being done under warranty so I made the assumption that it had not been done yet or at least not as a warranty claim. I have read that some had multiple failures before the dealers figured out how to properly fix them and some still may simply swap out crown bearings and leave the same shims in without measuring.

If you call any BMW dealer and provide the VIN, they should be able to produce a list of anything that was repaired under warranty and possibly where but not sure on the where. If that is where you got your information then it shouldn't be confusing or they should be able to help you understand it.

They are wonderful bikes and I love mine. They do have a few quirks that can spoil your day and put a hole in your wallet though but that is the same with most bikes and major system issues. If they are fixed right, they are pretty reliable. Sounds like you may have already had the FD done at least once. If it was done more than once by the same dealer, I would be wary and check it out internally.

Like your biography. Sisters are teachers also and teach Science.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in