suspension - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

suspension

hallo .how many km do ihave to change the suspensions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by danos
Truthfully, you are over due. Do yourself a favor and install ohlin's, works performance or wilbers you will transform your bike.
Now if the current LT had 50 more footpounds of torque....

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danos
You need to see if your suspension is in need... Just miles/Km is really not the issue.. Some will tell you that your suspension will be shot at X miles/Km but if it is not leaking or sagging and it is rebounding properly then it is OK.

I think it varies from bike to bike and rider to rider.

If you just have to have the best and most then 1 km is the time.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:23 am

Jack is correct. It depends on the condition of YOUR shocks, not someone else's. Miles/km is not a valid indicator.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
Jack is correct. It depends on the condition of YOUR shocks, not someone else's. Miles/km is not a valid indicator.
Fellas unless if you have rode with properly set up suspension you would not know the improvement.
The condition of your shocks does not matter...
From the factory the stock showa suspension is both under sprung and improperly dampened.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Fellas unless if you have rode with properly set up suspension you would not know the improvement.
The condition of your shocks does not matter...
From the factory the stock showa suspension is both under sprung and improperly dampened.
I'm not sure how to read your post... I assume that a custom setup suspension is optimal and that is how I'm choosing to read your comments.

I would assume that the design point on the suspension on the LT was a compromise with average use and size (height and weight) of the anticipated rider and pillion. If the LT was designed for the North American market that probably covers a 'huge' spectrum. The adjustments available on the stock Showa system probably gives some leeway... I'm no engineer.. I didn't stay at a Holiday in this month so I'm just guessing on this.. Anything that compromises design and function over a wide range of options is never optimal.

So I wonder what you base your opinion that the stock suspension is totally wrong for the LT?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 2:03 pm

Talking Stock suspension vs. aftermarket

I'm not Pete, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn either, but you have already answered your own question in a backhanded sort of way.

First, there is no adjustment on the stock suspension other than rear spring preload. Therefore, we are asking the design to deliver satisfactory ride and handling with a wide variety of load. Few of us are 'average'. Many load the bike up to the approved gross weight or beyond and take off across the country. Other days, the bags are empty and we ride out to attack some twisties. This group has a tendency to do both of the above at the same time; I know I do. A suspension that is designed for the 'average' just cannot cope with this range of performance as well as quality tunable suspension, properly setup for the conditions.

Damping rates for the stock shocks are fixed, and as I mentioned, the conditions are definitely not! Considering the diverse loads we impose on them, they do a reasonably good job. Quality adjustable suspension offers a range of performance that the stock equipment just can't deliver.

All this means is that good aftermarket suspension can be set to provide the performance envelope that YOU use, not the average Joe. That's the reason you see sportbikes with multitudes of adjustments straight from the factory along with sections in the owner's manual on how to set it for your riding style. A lot of people never adjust their suspension and don't get to realize the potential of their machine. BMW knows this, and they have an answer: ESA, which I'll bet will be available on every new model from now on.

Once you've ridden a well setup bike, you'll never go back! They provide a smoother ride, transition quicker, and provide a level of confidence that will let you exploit the machine to its potential. The chances of getting the theoretical 'optimal' performance from the stock suspension are a lot smaller.

When your stock parts wear out, try some Wilber's or Ohlins. It is definitely worth the money.

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:20 pm

I agree totally... I'm not trying to be sarcastic in any way.. My post was just to call attention to the post reference that the stock LT was 'crap' without Wilbers or Ohlins..

IMHO... Unless you estimate your load and the days roads before you start and make some adjust to the aftermarket suspension you have just another average.. simplistically.. then the closer your butt is to the 'average' designed into the LT the closer you will be to what you bought..

The original post was asking a question that needed to be answered correctly. If the suspension is broke it needs to be fixed and Wilbers or Ohlins probably will be cheaper on the checkbook.. and probably significant added value for the rider that bought them.. If you have a LT that has aftermarket suspension and you haven't set them up for yourself it maybe your LT is worse than stock...

I took an advanced rider's course that covered suspension and then we went out an looked at everyone's suspension and estimated if it was adjusted correctly... just raw adjustments for preload.. We even had a guy that had a new BMW with the ESA and he didn't know what he was adjusting..

Short of this is most people don't approach the level of what their machine can do... (period).. I'm probably square in the middle of that group..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in