Shinko tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeERideWNC
  • 1 Post By rattler50
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Shinko tires

How are the Shinko tires holding up on the LT's. Anyone please!

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 12:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Shinko tires

I think you will find most people here run Bridgestones, Metzlers and a few Avons.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 33 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 1:18 pm

You might try reviving the thread where the 777 HD was being tested to get an update.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-01-front.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 7:05 pm

I mount a lot of tires for a lot of people on a lot of different bikes...

Shinkos and Avons are not that good of a tire. Affordable tires, maybe.
But my thought is that they just aren't worth the savings.

Just my .02.

Ride Western North Carolina** Murphy, NC 28906
gdenton likes this.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2016, 8:04 am

I have 2k on my rear Shinko and so far really like its performance! I will put up a video review once I get some more miles on it.
Kirk

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #6 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2016, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
I mount a lot of tires for a lot of people on a lot of different bikes...

Shinkos and Avons are not that good of a tire. Affordable tires, maybe.
But my thought is that they just aren't worth the savings.

Just my .02.

Ride Western North Carolina** Murphy, NC 28906
I beg to differ on the Avons. I now have about 5K on my Avons and I am not planning to go back to Metzler any time soon. They handle so much better and with 5K on them I am detecting very little wear. Just my $.02 worth.
post #7 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2016, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
I beg to differ on the Avons. I now have about 5K on my Avons and I am not planning to go back to Metzler any time soon. They handle so much better and with 5K on them I am detecting very little wear. Just my $.02 worth.
If I got 5K out of the metzelers, I would be a happy rider.
I did the Avons once on my 2002, I barely made it to 1000 miles. I wish I had the pictures.

Let's just agree that we have different riding styles and different riding environments.
(Maybe even a twenty year difference or more in age.)

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #8 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2016, 8:48 am

I had a pair of Shinko verge sport touring tires installed on my St1300 after a tire failure in Northern Ontario. The Shinkos were the only tire available in the size needed for the ST. I also have a 2012 r1200rt with Michelin PR4's. I am meticulous with tire pressure as well, First impression were the Shinkos stuck well enough but were unpredictable in the corners. With about 2000 km on them I was out riding (150 Km) the temp was 26 C.I stopped and did a routine tire check. I literally burned my hand on the rear tire. I had never seen a tire get that hot . I checked and no issues with brake drag or tire pressure. As well they were not usable in the wet.
Replaced with Michelin PR4 and have had no issues.
post #9 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2016, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
If I got 5K out of the metzelers, I would be a happy rider.
I did the Avons once on my 2002, I barely made it to 1000 miles. I wish I had the pictures.

Let's just agree that we have different riding styles and different riding environments.
(Maybe even a twenty year difference or more in age.)
I might be old, but trust me I am not ready to give up. Just ask any of my riding buddies. LOL Avon has recently introduced a new tire with a different compound that gives better mileage. Even with agressive riding, i don't understand why you can't get 5K or better with the Mets. As far as riding enviroments, I live about 50 SE of Charlotte, NC and we do a lot of our riding in the mountain areas near your hometown. We will agree on one thing, I don't think either of us want a Shinko tire.
post #10 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2016, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Like most of you I have been using Metzler and Bridgestone tires. Read the thread on Shinko tires last April and thought perhaps by now someone had put enough miles to give a review. Kirk as they say the proof is in the Video and I look foreword to seeing one of your fine videos again

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #11 of 33 Old Jan 5th, 2016, 6:28 pm

I'm running a Metz on the front and a Bridgestone on the rear now. I've worn out two sets of Avons and I like them. They don't last as long as the Bridgestone or the Metzeler but they stick better. I run the Avon on my Vulcan 2000 as well but that 120hp pulls that rubber off fast. That right grip will wear out those tires............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #12 of 33 Old Jan 6th, 2016, 10:38 am

I had two Avons, from two different batches, each failing within the first 1000 miles due to manufacturer's flaw. Thanks to brother Meese from this fine community, for providing a used front tire to save my butt and get me back from SoCal to Dallas those many years ago.

Bridgestone did not impress me after running through three pair.

The Metzeler is not the best handling, but provided the best overall experience.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 33 Old Jan 7th, 2016, 9:32 am

If I were considering a switch from the BMW recommended tires (I'm not!), I would write a letter to Shinko or Avon or whatever you are wanting to experiment with and asking if the will make a recommendation for a BMW K1200LT. I'll bet they will say they do not offer a replacement tire for the bike especially considering the weight specs. I have logged 18k front & 14k rear twice on Metzelers with no complaints. It just isn't worth the risk of a tire failure to save a few bucks on a set of compromise tires.
post #14 of 33 Old Jan 9th, 2016, 10:50 am

Chinese tires on a fine piece of German engineering.............sacrilege...............:g rin:
deputy5211 likes this.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #15 of 33 Old Jan 10th, 2016, 11:24 am

Question Re: Shinko tires

I have a '99 LT. Are the wheels different than the newer models? I've been using the 880's but was thinking about Shinko. I seem to remember that the last time I ordered the 880, it asked what year. Had something to do with the bead and rim shape. Any fact to this and if so does that limit my tire selections?
post #16 of 33 Old Jan 11th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdoc View Post
If I were considering a switch from the BMW recommended tires (I'm not!), I would write a letter to Shinko or Avon or whatever you are wanting to experiment with and asking if the will make a recommendation for a BMW K1200LT. I'll bet they will say they do not offer a replacement tire for the bike especially considering the weight specs. I have logged 18k front & 14k rear twice on Metzelers with no complaints. It just isn't worth the risk of a tire failure to save a few bucks on a set of compromise tires.
Avons are recommended for the K1200LTs(pre 2005). I have always run Metezlers until my last set when I switched to the Avon tires and I love them.
post #17 of 33 Old Jan 11th, 2016, 9:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The early LTs allowed radials, not the newer version...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #18 of 33 Old Jan 11th, 2016, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
The early LTs allowed radials, not the newer version...
Any thoughts on why, exactly?

No immediate plans to change from the Metzelers, but I'm curious.

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #19 of 33 Old Jan 12th, 2016, 6:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

There is quite a bit of info on this in previous tire threads. Basically, if I recall correctly, the suspension geometry is different on the earlier LTs....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #20 of 33 Old Jan 12th, 2016, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
There is quite a bit of info on this in previous tire threads. Basically, if I recall correctly, the suspension geometry is different on the earlier LTs....
One of the many changes with the 2005 and later models was a change in the front steering geometry. I think the rake angle was changed a little, reportedly to improve slow speed handling which was a common complaint from owners of earlier models. How much this change improved slow speed handling is a subject for another discussion, however, there were increasing reports of front end instability (wobble, shake, tank slap) following the change. The bike apparently become more sensitive to wheel imbalance or other factors affecting front end stability. It was around this time that radial tires were no longer listed as recommended fitment for 2005 and later models of the K1200LT.
My assumption is that there is something about the rake angle on 2005+ KLTs and radial tires that doesn't make a good mix...
post #21 of 33 Old Jan 12th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Can anybody tell me what Avon is rated for the 2000 LT? I have owned it for just 4 months and the rear tire steps out too easily on tar snakes, wet roads, and frosty roads especially. Currently has the recommended Metzler 880

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #22 of 33 Old Jan 12th, 2016, 8:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
One of the many changes with the 2005 and later models was a change in the front steering geometry. I think the rake angle was changed a little, reportedly to improve slow speed handling which was a common complaint from owners of earlier models. How much this change improved slow speed handling is a subject for another discussion, however, there were increasing reports of front end instability (wobble, shake, tank slap) following the change. The bike apparently become more sensitive to wheel imbalance or other factors affecting front end stability. It was around this time that radial tires were no longer listed as recommended fitment for 2005 and later models of the K1200LT.
My assumption is that there is something about the rake angle on 2005+ KLTs and radial tires that doesn't make a good mix...
No way to be sure, but every structure has a fundamental frequency of vibration that is a function of the structure's stiffness (spring constant) and mass. The typical area of concern on a motorcycle is the torsional fundamental frequency of the front forks. Resonance occurs when a forcing function (the tires in the case of the motorcycle fork) has the same frequency as that of the structure being forced (the forks).

Since radial tires have much less stiffness than a bias ply tire of the same mass, they will have a different fundamental frequency. I suspect this frequency is much closer to that of the fork, as configured on 2005 and later LTs, than that of a bias tire. So, a bump that excites the fundamental frequency of the tire and then that of the fork, could lead to torsional resonance between tire and fork, which we call a tank slapper. But, that is just my guess...

http://www.math.psu.edu/tseng/class/...otes-MechV.pdf
Jim_McG likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #23 of 33 Old Jan 13th, 2016, 8:28 am

Garage monster - here is the info on the Storm 3D X-M as listed on the Avon site: AV66 160/70R17 79V

I thought that someone posted (on another thread?) that the tire has 'reinforced' cast into the sidewall. 79V should be the correct load rating. The Avon Storm is a radial tire, if you have a bias front tire you might need a front radial tire as well.

I have the Metzler ME880's on my 2000 LT. I love Metzler tires, these have been performing way below my expectations.

Here in Kentucky the roads are very slick when it is wet or cold. I believe that is because they crush limestone into the asphalt. ABS brakes are a good idea for this area.

I remember upstate New York and Colorado roads as being better for tire grip.

I have Shinko bias ply tires on a V65 Magna. They work well wet or dry here - still not my first choice. I have a set of Pirelli Sport Demons on my other V65 Magna, hoping those are what I am looking for traction wise.

I hope that was helpful.

Lee
post #24 of 33 Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
Can anybody tell me what Avon is rated for the 2000 LT? I have owned it for just 4 months and the rear tire steps out too easily on tar snakes, wet roads, and frosty roads especially. Currently has the recommended Metzler 880
Front: Avon Storm 3D X-M 120/70ZR 17 (58V)
Rear: Avon Storm 3D X-M 160/70ZR -17 (79V)

I switched from Metzler for the same reasons you mentioned and am very pleased with the Avons. Can now relax with tar snakes and wet roads. I bought mine through Index of / and was very happy with their service. Good Luck.
Leon
post #25 of 33 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
I switched from Metzler for the same reasons you mentioned and am very pleased with the Avons. Can now relax with tar snakes and wet roads.
Thanks. I am going to switch. I have ridden for 50+ years and this rear tire bothers me. At one point I had a GL1800 and it is also a big bike and never this uneasy feeling. When the rear tire skips out I want to pee my pants.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #26 of 33 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 9:28 am

Are your Avon tires recommended by BMW or not? If BMW lists a tire as an approved replacement tire for the K1200LT, I would consider a switch, but if BMW does not list them as an approved replacement tire for a K1200LT, I would advise against their use on the bike. Besides engineering issues, there are liability issues.
post #27 of 33 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 11:41 am

Quote:
Are your Avon tires recommended by BMW or not? If BMW lists a tire as an approved replacement tire for the K1200LT, I would consider a switch, but if BMW does not list them as an approved replacement tire for a K1200LT, I would advise against their use on the bike. Besides engineering issues, there are liability issues.
I wouldn't restrict tire selection to only those "approved" by BMW. Not sure if BMW "approves" tires other than those they contracted for use as OEM fitment on the bikes. I recall they delivered bikes with Metz's and 'Stones. (Anybody recall a new K1200LT being delivered with another brand?) Is there a source of information from BMW that lists "approved" tires for the K1200LT that were never used as OEM? I don't recall seeing any such...

However, I would look carefully at what the tire manufacturers say about fitment. Here's a post from an old thread made back when I was up to date on K1200LT tire options: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/tires/36...tml#post300045
(That whole thread has good info about tires for the K1200LT, but is dated and available tires have no doubt changed.)

I ran a couple/few sets of Avons on my 2000 K120LT and really liked the handling. The wear, especially on front, not so great. I didn't think the handling of the Avons was much different from the radial Bridgestones available at that time, and I generally went with the radial 'Stones. When the radial 'Stones were no longer available, I switched to the bias ply Bridgestones which were good handling tires.

Since then I've slowed down and riding less, now using the Bridgestone rear/Metzeler front combo and am quite happy with the compromise of handling and wear that the combination offers.
post #28 of 33 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 11:48 am

Quote:
Guys have been running Avons for years with good results. They are the right size and weight requirements are correct. They are recommended for 1999-2004 (USA). 2005-2009 advise against radials because of the different rake in the front end. I run Avons on my 2002 after running Metzlers for years and the handling and safety factor as far as wet roads, tar snakes etc are so much better with the Avons. I do not want to depend on BMWs advice on anything with their lack of fixing known problems with the K1200LT (Re: driveshaft failures, shifter linkage, squealing brakes etc). Just my $.02.
post #29 of 33 Old Jan 14th, 2016, 4:01 pm

The insurance industry goes by the motor vehicle manufacturer's recomendations, and so do the courts in the resolution of a lawsuit.
post #30 of 33 Old Jan 15th, 2016, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve View Post
How are the Shinko tires holding up on the LT's. Anyone please!
I'm running them front and rear on my '00 and have been for about 2,500 miles. I am VERY pleased with them. I have ridden on them in driving rain with no issues, and I have actually found that the asphalt snakes are a lot less noticeable on these tires than they ever were on the Metzlers I always ran in the past. Most of my riding is one up with an occasional passenger.

I should also note that there is no discernible wear in the tread. If both needed to be replaced tomorrow, I would not hesitate to replace with the same brand.

I know there is a lot of stigma with these Chinese (or whatever) tires on our fine bikes, but I have to say that I for one am impressed so far.
post #31 of 33 Old Jan 15th, 2016, 9:07 am

I forgot to mention that I am running a Shinko 777 on the rear of my V65 Magna. It's not a reinforced tire and the Magna is not the heavy beast that the LT is.

The Shinko seems to stick well enough in the rain around here. It is at least controllable starting and stopping in the rain.

The 777 profile is rounder than the Metzler I have on the LT. I don't feel that comfortable at low lean angles with this compound or profile.

I have several thousand miles on the 777, no appreciable wear that I can see.

I did have a Shinko 230 Tourmaster on the Magna before. My V65 ate that tire in 3k miles, other people are getting over 5k with the same tire. And I don't do burn outs or lock the rear tire when I stop. The 230 gave me better traction (confidence?) in the curves, it's a softer compound and a flatter profile.

Here is another thread on the Shinko tire. 'That Guy' hasn't commented on the tire in a while. He lives in Nevada, he should have a lot more miles on it by now.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ent-tires.html

He also commented on using the 777 on his V65 Magna as well, no issues with handling in the rain either. Evidently the extra 200 pounds on the LT makes a difference in his experience.

I hope that was helpful.

Lee
post #32 of 33 Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 5:56 pm

That is horse shit. Sorry if that is offensive BUT
It would mean you could never use any tyre not on the manufacturers list. Last LT build was in 2006 I believe, although you could get a new one in 2008 as they had some left here in the UK.
So when my Dunlop D220's wear out on my new Yamaha Tracer then I have to by a new bike as they are the only tyre listed and they are an OEM tyre and not availible for sale to the general public.
post #33 of 33 Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 6:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by styler4077 View Post
That is horse shit. Sorry if that is offensive BUT
It would mean you could never use any tyre not on the manufacturers list. Last LT build was in 2006 I believe, although you could get a new one in 2008 as they had some left here in the UK.
So when my Dunlop D220's wear out on my new Yamaha Tracer then I have to by a new bike as they are the only tyre listed and they are an OEM tyre and not availible for sale to the general public.
What are you referring to? Quoting what you are commenting on goes a long way towards having your post make any sense.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in