Battery Dies Occasionaly - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Patric

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Battery Dies Occasionaly

2002 K1200LT - Lately, when I go to crank her up, sometimes the battery will be too low to fire her up. Only sometimes though. The battery was installed at the dealership a year ago. At first I thought it was from running the seat heater, but it does it with or without the heat on. Sometimes I can leave the key turned on with the stereo running for a long time, and it will crank with no trouble. Sometimes after a long ride, when I try to crank back up, it's flat.

This just started in the last few weeks. I am not sure if battery, alternator, voltage regulator, or maybe something shorted somewhere. Thoughts?

The Halster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 1:19 pm

Re: Battery Dies Occasionaly

If it's a lead acid battery, have you checked level recently? Mine started giving weak starts and that was the problem. Topped it up with distilled water and all good. Otherwise, I was thinking of load testing the battery at an auto parts store. Or, you can check voltage during starting for excessive voltage drop and running to confirm your alternator function.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 1:37 pm

The voltage you will be looking for is 9.5 (maybe stretched ,9.0 volts) or above when you have a volt meter attached to the battery and hit the start button. But, now that it has gone dead on you a few times it is over. Get a new AGM sealed, or fill your self then seal battery or a Odyssey PC680 coil type battery which is really the best choice and will fit your bike. Do not buy another dealer battery, too expensive and not the best choice out there. You might want to make sure there is no extra drain on the battery when the ignition is turned off. Should be about 20 milliamps or so after a couple of minutes shut down time. A volt multimeter is your friend when you own a motorcycle, saves time and money.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey...P77hoCjJ_w_wcB
haltech007 likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

I just looked under the seat and it seems to be a sealed battery. It is an unmarked black battery with a grey top. I did not see any caps to open. When I get home today, I will pull the bracket just to make absosmurfly sure it has no removable cap.

The Halster

post #5 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Pretty rare today to find a liquid battery with caps. But keep in mind several dead cycles and it is not trustworthy anymore.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:21 pm

This problem sounds like being a little bit pregnant. It will not get any better. Years ago, I had a battery die a natural death after one year. Just about drove me crazy, I was pulling and testing fuses, etc thinking it could not be this "new" battery. Run it by your dealer to make sure there is not some type warranty. But in the end, I would buy a new battery. I love the Odyssey PC680. Good luck with your problem.
Leon
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That behavior sounds more like a loose or corroded connection than a flaky battery. But I have seen some pretty strange things from batteries over the last few years. 9.0 - 9.5 is a bit low for a cranking battery. The starter relay will not engage below 11.2. But once engaged it will not drop out but I would expect no less than 11 volts during cranking.
vernvernvern likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 13 Old Dec 29th, 2015, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

I found a similar thread where a guy had this issue if he left it in gear. I think I may be having the same issue. I always put it in neutral and put it up on the center stand, but lately, I occasionally leave it in gear, put down the kickstand to shut it off, and just leave it in gear. I THINK that is when it goes dead. I will start leaving it in neutral every night and see if it dies again, then try the leaving it in gear thing to see if it does.

The Halster

post #9 of 13 Old Dec 29th, 2015, 4:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just don't leave it in neutral on the side stand unless you're pointed uphill....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #10 of 13 Old Jan 1st, 2016, 8:49 am Thread Starter

I have a plan to test. I rode Tues, and when I got home I parked it in neutral. I drove the truck Wed, so the bike just sat in the garage. I hopped on Thurs morning and she fired right up. I shut down and tried again and she still started w/ no trouble. I am not riding her today, so she is parked in the garage in gear. I will see if the battery is OK tomorrow. If not, then I think we will know that I am having that same issue is that other post.
I'll let y'all know how it goes.

The Halster

post #11 of 13 Old Jan 1st, 2016, 3:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a problem with the battery our our 2002 K1200LT/ hannigan rig a few weeks ago. We were riding along ,coming up on a stop light. I pulled in the clutch & started to put the brakes on. The bike stalled & the power on the power brakes stopped working. I had a few hundred feet before I had to stop, so I turned the key off & turned it back on. Let the clutch out & the bike restarted & the brakes started working again. I thought I did something wrong & tried to write it off.

Well , a week or so later we ran over to a flea market with our rig, & when we went to leave it would not turn over. I turned it off & on a few times then it started up like everything was good. I thought maybe something in the ignition switch was going bad or a loose ground wire from the last time I had the gear box out or ??? We made one stop on the way home, & it did it again, but this time it would not start. We got a ride home & I went back with our truck to see what I could find out. I was shining a light down by the battery to look for the ground wire, I bumped into the positive wires & I heard a little spark sound. Turned out to be the adapter bracket on the positive battery post was loose.

I take the battery out every year to change the brake fluid, It is easier to get to the brake bleeder in the back from the battery side.... apparently I don't check the bracket... I never take the bracket off the battery..just the wires...
garage monster likes this.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #12 of 13 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Well, I didn't ride Sat or Sun, but I tried her every morning, and she fired right up. This morning, when I went out to the garage to ride her to work, she fired right up. This is even worse. Since this is an intermittent problem, I have no idea where to find the issue or when it will pop up again. At least everything seems alright for now.

The Halster

post #13 of 13 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 12:49 pm

I'm with John's assessment of loose or corroded wires.
You mentioned that you bought the battery from a BMW dealer, if so my understanding is BMW parts have a two (2) year warranty.
BTW, make sure you are not inadvertently leaving it in the parking light mode.
If I recall correctly the parking mode is when the key was turned to the counter clockwise extreme position. I left it once that way for over a week and the battery was FLAT!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in