What Clutch to get - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 Old Dec 25th, 2015, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

What Clutch to get

I was wondering what Clutch you guys get when you replace them The Siebenrock one or the OEM And where do you get the Siebenrock I have the dreaded main leak I did put a weep hole in Bell The Clutch is working fine But am sure my days are coming I just want to pull all the info I can in and start getting the parts
I know this been asked before and I have pretty good parts list in front of me but I want a doulbe checkj I want to know every seal, bolt, washer ,and anything else that goes with it I am replacing the clutch slave also And where is the cheapest place to get this all from
And for me to do this job in the next serveral months will not happen Because of I what have going on But it will

PS Thier is not somebody near me in Hudsonville Michigan in case I run into a Question or Problem that could come by just to give me some info on the issuse

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Dec 25th, 2015 at 1:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old Dec 25th, 2015, 7:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: What Clutch to get

Beemer Bone Yard sells two Siebenrock clutches. One is oil proof and $$$$. The other is less than the stock in $$ but better than stock is its name. I have one on the self for a friend (the one I mentioned) and it looks better built than stock. I used a stock one in mine @ 40 K and it is still going strong @ 98 K.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 110 Old Dec 25th, 2015, 8:57 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I used the Siebenrock oil proof clutch in my 2004 when I replaced the clutch. I also installed new, Diaphragm Spring 21217688214
Pressure plate 21212332974
Housing Cover 21212333449
6 Housing Cover Screws 21211454417
6 Cover Screw Washers 21211242377
Hex Nut 11211460673
Compression Ring 11211460696
19mm X 4mm Viton O-ring

The new housing cover had some bad machine lines & I had to return it for a different one before I installed it. The clutch disc. works fine for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	180,000 Miles 003.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	95426   Click image for larger version

Name:	180,000 Miles 024.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	95434  
radar41, Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 4:19 am

I have never understood the need to upgrade to oil proof. There is not supposed to be oil in the clutch. It is a fault to be fixed - does one have oil proof clutch plate or not. So one cannot replace clutch job with oil proof plate. It can of course buy some extra miles but based on my experience I could ride hundreds of kilometers home with clutch soaking in oil.
Patric likes this.

Born to be wild so why not

post #5 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 6:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I used the Siebenrock oil proof clutch in my 2004 when I replaced the clutch. I also installed new, Diaphragm Spring 21217688214
Pressure plate 21212332974
Housing Cover 21212333449
6 Housing Cover Screws 21211454417
6 Cover Screw Washers 21211242377
Hex Nut 11211460673
Compression Ring 11211460696
19mm X 4mm Viton O-ring

The new housing cover had some bad machine lines & I had to return it for a different one before I installed it. The clutch disc. works fine for me.
Dave I see you did not or I should say I see no one replaced the Clutch Slave while they were in I was thinking that might be a good Idea
Dave you probably did replace the input and output seals on tran and the motor one right
This is all the seals I can come up with is thier more while I am thier
If you did not change the Clutch Slave is thier a seal on that besides the one it comes in contact against the the Tran

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Dec 26th, 2015 at 6:32 am.
post #6 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 6:55 am

Attached is the parts list that was used on my 2000 LT. This was done in January 2006. Included in the parts is the slave cylinder. My LT had 64k miles on it at the time. The reason for replacement was a leaky rear main seal. The service tech said that the clutch looked like it had very little wear, but changed everything out while it was apart.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Clutch_Replacement_Parts.pdf (7.6 KB, 88 views)
radar41 and garage monster like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Attached is the parts list that was used on my 2000 LT. This was done in January 2006. Included in the parts is the slave cylinder. My LT had 64k miles on it at the time. The reason for replacement was a leaky rear main seal. The service tech said that the clutch looked like it had very little wear, but changed everything out while it was apart.
Thanks for the info I have 90,000 miles on mine so I think I should get a New Clutch Slave sense the tech you had replaced at 64,000

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #8 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 9:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
I have never understood the need to upgrade to oil proof. There is not supposed to be oil in the clutch. It is a fault to be fixed - does one have oil proof clutch plate or not. So one cannot replace clutch job with oil proof plate. It can of course buy some extra miles but based on my experience I could ride hundreds of kilometers home with clutch soaking in oil.
not knowing for sure the cause of the oring failure (material,compression, or heat) although $150 is a big difference I opted for the extra "sense of security". basically I looked at it like a clutch plate that absorbs oil even when there should not be any oil, is not as good as one that does not. honestly I felt like a sucker when I got it, but no regrets now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
this list is great I used with the one JZ did, but the prices are surprisingly out dated for just nearly 10 years. I would have expected the price to remain/drop considering the volume of these parts that must have been sold.

02 K1200LTC Black
post #9 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 9:41 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Dave I see you did not or I should say I see no one replaced the Clutch Slave while they were in I was thinking that might be a good Idea
Dave you probably did replace the input and output seals on tran and the motor one right
This is all the seals I can come up with is thier more while I am thier
If you did not change the Clutch Slave is thier a seal on that besides the one it comes in contact against the the Tran
I replace my clutch slave every 60,000 miles. The rear main engine seal is Teflon not rubber & they very seldom leak. I didn't replace any trans. seals either.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
not knowing for sure the cause of the oring failure (material,compression, or heat)
I believe that heat causes the most failures, followed by synthetic oil (no blasting please). The original rubber seal solidifies and crumbles with the heat. I believe in using synthetic oil, but have heard that regular oil helps in keeping the seals more pliable (softer).

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Here are two threads that will help with the project. First one deals with someone who purchased an aftermarket friction plate and then had trouble with dimension stack up because the friction disk was too thick. The second is one of the better threads with details on changing this seal out. As mentioned the crank main seal seldom if ever leaks. Most folks change it out because they are there and it is a long ways in. What needs to be changed are the intake seals and rubber parts, crank case rubber vent tube and stuff like that while you have it apart.

Gear box seal replacement progress. - I-BMW.com

GregRS's journey into seal territory - I-BMW.com

Get a Clymer service manual, a big help. The picture of the shouldered washer for the main crank nut is correct, OEM manual is backwards.

I can lend you the special tools needed for the job if you PM me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K-bke rear main seal 031.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	803.0 KB
ID:	95466  

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Last edited by beech; Dec 26th, 2015 at 12:15 pm.
post #12 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Here is a set up I used on the last RS Oring repair. I also have a supply of the Viton 19x4mm Oring you need that has failed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K12RS_rear_main_seal_r_r.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	95482  

Beech

post #13 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Here are two threads that will help with the project. First one deals with someone who purchased an aftermarket friction plate and then had trouble with dimension stack up because the friction disk was too thick. The second is one of the better threads with details on changing this seal out. As mentioned the crank main seal seldom if ever leaks. Most folks change it out because they are there and it is a long ways in. What needs to be changed are the intake seals and rubber parts, crank case rubber vent tube and stuff like that while you have it apart.

Gear box seal replacement progress. - I-BMW.com

GregRS's journey into seal territory - I-BMW.com

Get a Clymer service manual, a big help. The picture of the shouldered washer for the main crank nut is correct, OEM manual is backwards.

I can lend you the special tools needed for the job if you PM me.

Thanks I will for sure keep tool lend offer in mind but I will not be getting at it for several months But thanks for the info you will probably be hearing from in the future
Now I am trying to take all the info I can in And get some parts on hand

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #14 of 110 Old Dec 26th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Well, some may think I am out of my mind but I will be starting the dissassembly on Monday or Tuesday of my non leaking 2001 LT with 53K . It is a winter preemptive strike at the o-ring with replacement of most everything else along the way. I have all the seals, slave, nuts bolts washers, spring, Viton o-ring and the Siebenrock oil proof clutch from BBY. If I am going to do it, I only want to do it once and don't want to get stuck somewhere if it decides to start leaking.

With any luck, Panzer will be lending a hand and was the provider of some of the special tools he made when he did his and I will benefit from his experience of having already done it.

Replacing the hard rubber and seals on the throttle body as well while I have it out and probably the exterior fuel lines as well.
radar41, Patric and Panzer like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #15 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 7:49 am Thread Starter

When I remove the intake manifold to do job what new parts should I all get Maybe a breather manifold along with the engine breather hose and maybe the vacuum hose What else do I need for this area
And there is nothing tricky about replacing this stuff right just what to know what I am getting into

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #16 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 8:30 am

Quote:
When I remove the intake manifold to do job what new parts should I all get Maybe a breather manifold along with the engine breather hose and maybe the vacuum hose What else do I need for this area
And there is nothing tricky about replacing this stuff right just what to know what I am getting into
I changed out my breather tube when I did mine. I did not have much choice as it was torn in many spots and basically a goo. putting in the new one is reported to be tricky, but with the engine tilted it is far more easy, so yeah the timing is perfect.

02 K1200LTC Black
post #17 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 10:45 am

CoolK1200, please keep us up to speed on progress and things found.This is as good as any place to do it as we are all watching. Think about changing transmission case seals too, your there.

Beech

post #18 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
CoolK1200, please keep us up to speed on progress and things found.This is as good as any place to do it as we are all watching. Think about changing transmission case seals too, your there.
Beech, I have the input and output seals as well as the slave seal for the transmission and Panzer provided the tools to properly seat the ones that are critical. Even though the main engine is Teflon and is seldom reported to be the leaking culprit, I am replacing that one as well. Bought a lift and some new tools for doing proper measurements before ripping out the old ones so I can verify proper placement when done.

My thinking is that if it would have cost me $xxxx to have the dealer do it, I can spend the extra on cool tools and do it myself. Then if i ever have to do it again or help someone do the same, I am 3 steps ahead.

I will take photos along the way and post as several of the stories i have read of people doing this vary somewhat in implementation up to the point of doing the actual seals.

Gordon

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #19 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Quote:
When I pulled my throttle body to replace a misbehaving TP potentiometer, I noticed that the bushings were very hard from age. They can crack and be the source of a vacuum leak so I am putting new ones on this time. I made a breather tube from copper based on photos from other threads to replace the cracked and broken plastic one. Not having a proper breather hose to attach it to the block, I used radiator hose with the intention of replacing it with a proper material next time in which will be now. I ordered a Chrysler breather hose from Amazon which should hold up pretty well and has some interesting bends in it so fitment should not be an issue. Also ordered new o-ring seals for the TB mountings to the block as they can also leak and cause issues.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #20 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 7:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Take a good picture of the Chrysler hose and provide the PN as I am sure other will be interested.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #21 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Take a good picture of the Chrysler hose and provide the PN as I am sure other will be interested.
I will as long as it does what I want it to. It looks good in hand but when you actually decide what part to use on it, it may or may not be a good choice. It is something like 25 inches long with several nice bends in it that I thought might work well.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #22 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone but I have one more question when you replace the slave cylinder do replace the push rod and felt which I think I would
Than I see on one thread where soneone talks about a seal that they have to pull before they put the slave back in But I went on Max Parts and can not seem to find one I see the gasket type one but I do not think thats one they where taking about
I did order a slave from BB for a 104 dollars and when they run out thier stock they will be done with these slaves Thought I let you know

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Dec 27th, 2015 at 9:27 pm.
post #23 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone but I have one more question when you replace the slave cylinder do replace the push rod and felt which I think I would
Than I see on one thread where soneone talks about a seal that they have to pull before they put the slave back in But I went on Max Parts and can not seem to find one I see the gasket type one but I do not think thats one they where taking about

Others may have a different opinion but unless it is damaged, you would only replace the pushrod if it was the earlier model without the groove for the felt which is only there to keep it from rattling and the rattling bothered you. Otherwise, you would only replace the felt to keep it quiet. I don't know what year they switched. I think the Max BMW fiche only says earlier models. Unless someone knows what year that came out, you won't know until you open it up.

The felt ring PN is 23211230440 and the new pushrod if yours doesn't have the groove is 21527659113

The seal that goes in around the shaft the pushrod goes through behind the slave is 17x28x7 PN 23127705085 and the output shaft seal is 25x40x6 PN 23122330135 and is found on the transmission housing/mount parts/gaskets fiche. I ordered both as I plan on replacing all seals I come into contact with Both the 99-04 and the 05 - 09 fiche list the same 2 part numbers.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Dec 27th, 2015 at 9:45 pm.
post #24 of 110 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 11:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I replace my clutch slave every 60,000 miles. The rear main engine seal is Teflon not rubber & they very seldom leak. I didn't replace any trans. seals either.
I've replaced 6 rear main seals for leakage. All but one had been put in without a proper seal driver. All were warped and not seated properly. some were done by BMW techs. I've rebuilt 3 transmissions. All had over 75k (one had nearly 200k) and the front bearings were either shot or about to be. The transmission seals were not far behind. I've replaced over a dozen clutch slave cylinders. One was definitely shot. The others were preventative maintenance. I've always felt that if I was that far deep into the bike I might as well freshen it up.

It's been a while since I've surfed the Forum. It looks like most of you guys are still working on the LT's and haven't jumped to the new K bikes yet. Excellent! We love our LT!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #25 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 1:41 pm

OK, have the old girl up on the lift and all my parts and tools laid out and ready. Time to tickle the old girl a bit and see if I can get her undressed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	95578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	95586   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	506.9 KB
ID:	95594  
Panzer likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #26 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Others may have a different opinion but unless it is damaged, you would only replace the pushrod if it was the earlier model without the groove for the felt which is only there to keep it from rattling and the rattling bothered you. Otherwise, you would only replace the felt to keep it quiet. I don't know what year they switched. I think the Max BMW fiche only says earlier models. Unless someone knows what year that came out, you won't know until you open it up.

The felt ring PN is 23211230440 and the new pushrod if yours doesn't have the groove is 21527659113

The seal that goes in around the shaft the pushrod goes through behind the slave is 17x28x7 PN 23127705085 and the output shaft seal is 25x40x6 PN 23122330135 and is found on the transmission housing/mount parts/gaskets fiche. I ordered both as I plan on replacing all seals I come into contact with Both the 99-04 and the 05 - 09 fiche list the same 2 part numbers.
Thanks for the info I am slowly getting things figured out and getting some of parts together I hope everything works out for you
on your major job Maybe you get done you can fill me in on something to look for a first time job like this
Ya great Pictures for a start of it good luck But I do not see a presure plate or a spacer ring or maybe we do not have to put new ones on And it looks like you stole my Table Jack
Any way have GREAT New Year

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Dec 28th, 2015 at 3:31 pm.
post #27 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the info I am slowly getting things figured out and getting some of parts together I hope everything works out for you
on your major job Maybe you get done you can fill me in on something to look for a first time job like this
Ya great Pictures for a start of it good luck But I do not see a presure plate or a spacer ring or maybe we do not have to put new ones on And it looks like you stole my Table Jack
Any way have GREAT New Year
Gary, although i have done big type jobs before on cages, this is a first for me digging this deep into my LT. I didn't buy the spacer ring or the pressure plate and cover hoping that mine are in good shape and just a new spring will make the set close to new again. If they are dished, then i will have to pause a few days and order replacements and they are expensive if I don't need them.

Got the girl undressed and am done for the day. Tomorrow I will pull the tank, the final drive and swing arm getting ready for Panzer on Wednesday. Need to figure out a way to support the back end with stuff I have. I have some ideas from others postings so I should be pretty OK once I get to that tomorrow.

I will let you know of any gotchas i run into along the way like how the heck do you get that reverse switch off. It may not need to come off but I think there is a warning of bending something if you don't.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0010.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	95610  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #28 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:22 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I left the reverse switch on & just unplugged the connector.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #29 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:22 pm
cws

Garage

If it's any help to anyone, I wrote up the teardown procedure when Axle and I stripped down my 2005 to do the clutch... made it easier when putting the girl back together just re-tracing my steps.
attached as a pdf... can't see how to upload to technical files anymore.

This was the lead up to BlauBeeMr's fine document, which is in the files.

Hope your 2016 is a good one!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Teardown procedure for clutch job - 2005 BMW K1200LT.pdf (588.8 KB, 165 views)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #30 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ditto on "don't remove the revere switches". Too easy to break them, just unplug the connector and leave it on the tranny. Be mindful with the front wheel chock when raising the rear of the bike. Check the straps since your pivot point on the axle is higher. It just caught me off guard the first time I did it. As the bike moved forward as well as up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #31 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Quote:
I left the reverse switch on & just unplugged the connector.
I have the wire lose and took the 10mm nut off but the pin underneath where the cut out on the switch fit over, wouldn't let the switch slide off the bolt and I didn't see an easy way around that so I just put the nut back on. I will probably leave it that way and do it as you did.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #32 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Ditto on "don't remove the revere switches". Too easy to break them, just unplug the connector and leave it on the tranny. Be mindful with the front wheel chock when raising the rear of the bike. Check the straps since your pivot point on the axle is higher. It just caught me off guard the first time I did it. As the bike moved forward as well as up.
Thanks John, I ran into that already when I tried to jack up the bike to get the center stand down after I ran it into the front wheel chock like you have on your trailer I had to loosen the straps to allow the bike to move up easier. Going to leave the switch alone.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #33 of 110 Old Dec 28th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
If it's any help to anyone, I wrote up the teardown procedure when Axle and I stripped down my 2005 to do the clutch... made it easier when putting the girl back together just re-tracing my steps.
attached as a pdf... can't see how to upload to technical files anymore.

This was the lead up to BlauBeeMr's fine document, which is in the files.

Hope your 2016 is a good one!
Thanks Chris. Downloaded and looking it over.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #34 of 110 Old Dec 29th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Managed to get most of the bits off today in between conference calls and meetings. Still have the cross bar, center stand and the speed sensor on the transmission. I used the last few minutes of daylight to cut down the allen wrench to be able to get to the sensor bolt and also cut and slotted two 8mm bolts for guide pins.

I am guessing it gets messy if you pull seals with the engine tilting backward and full of oil so I will be draining that also in the morning before Panzer arrives to assist and provide knowledge gained from his experience on things I missed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0015.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	519.0 KB
ID:	95770  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #35 of 110 Old Dec 29th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Managed to get most of the bits off today in between conference calls and meetings. Still have the cross bar, center stand and the speed sensor on the transmission. I used the last few minutes of daylight to cut down the allen wrench to be able to get to the sensor bolt and also cut and slotted two 8mm bolts for guide pins.

I am guessing it gets messy if you pull seals with the engine tilting backward and full of oil so I will be draining that also in the morning before Panzer arrives to assist and provide knowledge gained from his experience on things I missed.
I am so stoked. this is going to be a blast. I'll bring my heat gun too. in case you want to get into the gearbox.

02 K1200LTC Black
post #36 of 110 Old Dec 29th, 2015, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I am just wondering are you looking at it already and thinking what am I getting into
Maybe I will head right on down there by you guys and we can work on mine next

But really keep us posted and if you run in something that you think to your self boy nobody mentioned that POST IT Just saying for my notes

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #37 of 110 Old Dec 29th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Quote:
I am just wondering are you looking at it already and thinking what am I getting into
Maybe I will head right on down there by you guys and we can work on mine next

But really keep us posted and if you run in something that you think to your self boy nobody mentioned that POST IT Just saying for my notes
Seeing I am doing the unthinkable of tearing down a perfectly fine bike with no signs of leaks or clutch slippage simply to replace a $1.39 cent O-Ring, and replace $800 worth of parts along the way, all seems to be going along according to others documented experiences. My biggest asset is Panzer who seems excited to come and help LOL!! If anything out of the " ordinary" happens, you can count on pictures being posted with play by play details on what it was and how it was dealt with.

If you do happen to want to drag yours from Michigan down to Atlanta, I will be happy to assist in the replacement of your necessary parts. Lord knows, I have the stuff to do it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #38 of 110 Old Dec 29th, 2015, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
I am so stoked. this is going to be a blast. I'll bring my heat gun too. in case you want to get into the gearbox.
I have a heat gun and a torch as necessary. I am just glad to have someone else to help with this task. Even if it would be for someone to simply watch and ask questions which in your case, it is not. Doing this alone is a really big job seeing we are not BMW certified techs. Very doable as my tech skills and tools are up to the challenge but there isn't much left of the bike once you get to that o-ring.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #39 of 110 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Panzer arrived about 9am and we started in. Got the trans out, clutch replaced with siebenrock plate, plate qnd cover were not in bad shape, only a very slight dishing of a couple thousandths so I decided to go ahead and use them.

The main seal replaced, trans seals, in and output seals replaced, slave replaced, O-ring replaced. The O-ring is hard as a rock and square with signs of oil seepage so I guess i was not totally out of my mind in tearing it down.

Installed new bushings on the throttle body and replaced the radiator hose i used to attach the breather previously with a proper material breather tube that can handle the oil and vapor.

Panzer was a Godsend and a real trouper. Having that second set of hands when installing the transmission made a 5 minute job of what Panzer spent 3 hours doing by himself. The tools he fabricated also made quick work of setting the seals and making sure they were evenly installed and at the correct depth. Attaching a picture of todays dead men. Now the process of getting all those things I pulled off , labeled and put in red party cups back on the bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0016.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	95802  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #40 of 110 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Panzer arrived about 9am and we started in. Got the trans out, clutch replaced with siebenrock plate, plate qnd cover were not in bad shape, only a very slight dishing of a couple thousandths so I decided to go ahead and use them.

The main seal replaced, trans seals, in and output seals replaced, slave replaced, O-ring replaced. The O-ring is hard as a rock and square with signs of oil seepage so I guess i was not totally out of my mind in tearing it down.

Installed new bushings on the throttle body and replaced the radiator hose i used to attach the breather previously with a proper material breather tube that can handle the oil and vapor.

Panzer was a Godsend and a real trouper. Having that second set of hands when installing the transmission made a 5 minute job of what Panzer spent 3 hours doing by himself. The tools he fabricated also made quick work of setting the seals and making sure they were evenly installed and at the correct depth. Attaching a picture of todays dead men. Now the process of getting all those things I pulled off , labeled and put in red party cups back on the bike.
Thanks for detailed report and pictures.

QUESTION: can you measure your remaining clutch-friction-plate thickness AND also specifiy known mileage on that plate?
When I did mine at 54,000 miles it was oil-soaked BUT only worn about 30% (down to 5.6mm - minimum specs is 4.5 on K1200RS)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #41 of 110 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thanks for detailed report and pictures.

QUESTION: can you measure your remaining clutch-friction-plate thickness AND also specifiy known mileage on that plate?
When I did mine at 54,000 miles it was oil-soaked BUT only worn about 30% (down to 5.6mm - minimum specs is 4.5 on K1200RS)
John, mine measures 5.53mm and it is not oil soaked at 53.3K.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #42 of 110 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Quote:
John, mine measures 5.53mm and it is not oil soaked at 53.3K.
Thanks for reply!
So... we did about the same for similar mileage. Your friction plate could still be of some use as it was not oil soaked. Someone not hard on these clutch could easily do another 65,000 miles with it. The job is so long, I understand you might want to start with a brand new max thickness plate ;-)

I bough my K1200RS brand new in 2002 and began having a seeping / leak from housing junction when I choose to do the job in 2007. The O-ring was found to be pretty hard and somewhat cracked. The main seal did not look bad, but was replaced for newer type anyway.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #43 of 110 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Great Job wish you guys were in my area thats where I feel I would run into trouble getting the transmission out and putting the darn seals in correct I pretty much had the rest of the bike naked to that point Anyway great JOB

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #44 of 110 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Great Job wish you guys were in my area thats where I feel I would run into trouble getting the transmission out and putting the darn seals in correct I pretty much had the rest of the bike naked to that point Anyway great JOB
We talked about you today and would love to help if we were closer. My bike is still pretty naked but the hard part is done. I just hope it starts when I press the button

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #45 of 110 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Your friction plate could still be of some use as it was not oil soaked. Someone not hard on these clutch could easily do another 65,000 miles with it.
I plan on keeping it in case anyone should happen to need or want it at some later date. It doesn't look that bad and as you say, it does still have some decent life in it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #46 of 110 Old Jan 1st, 2016, 11:34 am

Quote:
Tag for help
OK John, after it sitting for a day after reinstalling the transmission, i have seepage at the rear output shaft. What did I do wrong here. I looked for an oil hole on the shaft and saw none so this seal should be sitting on the shaft all the way around. I think this is the one seal I didn't remember to measure before pulling it. Does it look in too far or not far enough?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	95842  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #47 of 110 Old Jan 1st, 2016, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Tag for help
Best depth measurements I can make now put it around 75 to 80 thousandths which is just slightly deeper than the tool of 50 thousandths. Looked at the weep hole videos but i can't get a very good view to compare with.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #48 of 110 Old Jan 1st, 2016, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Best depth measurements I can make now put it around 75 to 80 thousandths which is just slightly deeper than the tool of 50 thousandths. Looked at the weep hole videos but i can't get a very good view to compare with.
I was just wondering do you have the OEM SEAL There is a nother option I thought I would Bring it up on all the searching I been doing about this main seal thing Not saying its any better
Timken Natiolal Seal 25x40x70 part# 00601809 I think you can get local too

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Jan 1st, 2016 at 3:39 pm.
post #49 of 110 Old Jan 1st, 2016, 3:59 pm

Quote:
I was just wondering do you have the OEM SEAL There is a nother option I thought I would Bring it up on all the searching I been doing about this main seal thing Not saying its any better
Gary, did you type that wrong? the specs in the book are 25x40x6 and the seal I removed matches those dimensions.There is a double lip Nitrile Butadiene Rubber seal listed on Amazon

Robot Check

but the replacement seal ( 23 12 2 330 135 SHAFT SEAL - 25X40X6 ) is supposed to fit. I remember seeing a picture of one of the transmission shaft with an oil hole very close to the seal lip so placement would be pretty critical but I looked at each shaft to see if there was any oil hole and I did not see any at all. The seal appears to be evenly seated although possibly 20 thousandths too deep. Unless there is a decrease in the shaft diameter further in, I am confused as to why i am getting seepage. It hasn't even run yet.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #50 of 110 Old Jan 1st, 2016, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Went and looked and found what I believe you were referring to, a 25x40x7 Timken National seal. The only difference I might see with that is that it is a single lip seal where others listed on Amazon are a double lip seal as is the one I removed. The replacement I put in was a single lip I believe and the MAX fiche picture shows a single lip seal as well. I wonder how much benefit you get from a double lip seal vs a single lip.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in