A question and an introduction - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:04 am Thread Starter

A question and an introduction

I am new to the board and new to BMW motorcycles, as well. My previous bike was a Honda ST1300. I enjoyed my time on the ST, it is a very fine motorcycle with a terrific engine, but as I get older and have developed a penchant for long trips, I decided to investigate larger touring bikes. I went to my local BMW dealer and test rode a new '05 LT (They had one new one left over), and I knew before I got out of the parking lot that this was the bike for me. As I said, I thought the ST was great, but the LT was much more comfortable and had more of the amenities that I was looking for in a long distance tourer. I should also add that the best part of the ST experience was their owner's board. Simply terrific people and I enjoyed their camaraderie, knowledge and humor very much. It seems as though it is going to be the same way here and I look forward to being an active participant for years to come. All that being said, I do have a question, more regarding my dealer than the bike itself. I do not have any experience with this dealer, and I have had some bad experiences with different dealers over the years. The bike I bought was a new '05, but it had 160 miles on it. The dealer indicated that this was due to test rides and such. Which I didn't give much thought to as one of my favorite parts of dealing with BMW dealers is that they allow you to test ride their bikes. However, how do I know if this bike wasn't dropped or in some kind of minor accident or had some kind of service history in it's brief existence before I bought it. Is there a way of looking up the service history using the VIN number on the internet ? I realize I could ask the dealer, but I don't want to come across as not trusting and how would I know if they were telling me the truth, anyway. There is nothing apparently wrong with my bike, but I just got to thinking after I read another person's thread rearding this same topic on another board about a different make bike. If anyone knows if this is possible to check, I'd appreciate it. Also, one other question, on the '05's, what colors were they offered in ? Mine's gold.

Thanks, Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe there is any way of checking into the history of the bike. Even if it was dropped and the side bumper replaced, I don't see where that would be a cause for concern. Others may have more information regarding this.

As for the '05s, they came in "Gold" (actually called "Light Yellow Metallic"), "Dark Graphite Metallic", and "Ocean Blue".
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:25 am

Welcome, Roy. Glad you're aboard. You gotta lot of catchin' up to do, so plan on burning some midnight oil, reading the major threads found around here. Helps that you were on the ST forums, cuz I imagine the tone and content is prolly familial in kind.

Lissen - here is the perfect opportunity to establish the start of a great relationship with your dealer. Here is what I would do ---

Ride the bike to the dealership; ask to chat with the major principal that can answer your question about past history of your bike; and tell them you're just as much interested in it's past as they should be in it's future. If both parties are on the same page, there should be no room for left-over, or niggling, doubt. Doing this, they should perceive that you will be a loyal customer down the line, and you should be relieved that they are above-board in their dealings with you. That's kinda simplistic in description, butt can sure set the framework for a "what, me worry?" arrangement in the future --- both sides of the fence.

Good luck, Roy. Enjoy your new ride. Spend more time than you think you should, just practicing slow maneuvers in empty parking lots, etc. Pays off if you ever have a need to use the knowledge in a given situation.

Ride safe, Roy.

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:30 am

how many miles are on the '05?
their service manager should be able to run your vin# and you should be able to see everything that has been done to the bike at that dealership.
RKO
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:53 am
Prodigal Son

Smile As Yoda would say

"if this bike wasn't dropped"

Be it Will

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:01 pm

bike dropped

I thought it would result in a error code as a fault. They told me that happened with my bike when I bought it used, and it actually was dropped at the dealership and fixed before the read out the code in the history of the bike.
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond
I thought it would result in a error code as a fault. They told me that happened with my bike when I bought it used, and it actually was dropped at the dealership and fixed before the read out the code in the history of the bike.
Hhmmn... So you're saying that the LT has a "tip-over sensor"?! First I heard of this.
post #8 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:59 pm

yea..

That was my understanding from the dealer..I could be wrong, but at suth sound I believe that they mentioned that the fault for high lean was triggered and resulted as a code. I will check with them to make 100% sure I am getting the facts correct!
post #9 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond
That was my understanding from the dealer..I could be wrong, but at suth sound I believe that they mentioned that the fault for high lean was triggered and resulted as a code. I will check with them to make 100% sure I am getting the facts correct!
I'm not sure about other LTs, butt I can tell ya that Toad, a '99 vintage, doesn't have a lean/fall down sensor - or at least one that works!! Toad has fallen beyond the horizontal and shortly thereafter, wuz in for service - no fault codes shown.
post #10 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Welcome Roy...

I bought my LT used and I had a dealer run the VIN# and they told me that it had a few charges against the warranty over 24 months. Not a long list ... So unless the repairs were charged against the warranty you won't know. The charge codes were basically Greek to me and the dealer would not research them.

Long end of my message in 160 miles there is not much you can do to the LT that would not show on the paint or chrome that I would worry about. If you have reoccurring issues ask for a report so you can document the repairs..

If your LT looks and runs great then no sense starting some buyers remorse thing over a repair.. you got three more years and 35K of smiles to work out your differences.. Important thing now is it looks and runs like it's new.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #11 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
I am new to the board and new to BMW motorcycles, as well. My previous bike was a Honda ST1300. I enjoyed my time on the ST, it is a very fine motorcycle with a terrific engine, but as I get older and have developed a penchant for long trips, I decided to investigate larger touring bikes. I went to my local BMW dealer and test rode a new '05 LT (They had one new one left over), and I knew before I got out of the parking lot that this was the bike for me. As I said, I thought the ST was great, but the LT was much more comfortable and had more of the amenities that I was looking for in a long distance tourer. I should also add that the best part of the ST experience was their owner's board. Simply terrific people and I enjoyed their camaraderie, knowledge and humor very much. It seems as though it is going to be the same way here and I look forward to being an active participant for years to come. All that being said, I do have a question, more regarding my dealer than the bike itself. I do not have any experience with this dealer, and I have had some bad experiences with different dealers over the years. The bike I bought was a new '05, but it had 160 miles on it. The dealer indicated that this was due to test rides and such. Which I didn't give much thought to as one of my favorite parts of dealing with BMW dealers is that they allow you to test ride their bikes. How=http://realoem.com/bmw/select.doever, how do I know if this bike wasn't dropped or in some kind of minor accident or had some kind of service history in it's brief existence before I bought it. Is there a way of looking up the service history using the VIN number on the internet ? I realize I could ask the dealer, but I don't want to come across as not trusting and how would I know if they were telling me the truth, anyway. There is nothing apparently wrong with my bike, but I just got to thinking after I read another person's thread rearding this same topic on another board about a different make bike. If anyone knows if this is possible to check, I'd appreciate it. Also, one other question, on the '05's, what colors were they offered in ? Mine's gold.

Thanks, Roy
Run the last 7 digits of your bikes' VIN HERE and you'll know when it's produced. The model year starts after the summer recess of the Spandau facility. Production of M.Y. '07 has just started a few weeks ago.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #12 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
I should also add that the best part of the ST experience was their owner's board. Simply terrific people and I enjoyed their camaraderie, knowledge and humor very much. It seems as though it is going to be the same way here and I look forward to being an active participant for years to come.
Welcome to the LT and the forum. If you hang out at the st-owners site, feel free to hang around and harrass them as I do - then they'll have at least 2 LT representatives there, got to balance out the GW presence (if the MSN site, then you may be the only LT owner there for all I know). Spending time on both boards, I can verify that while the attention of the owners differs by the bike model, both boards represent the very best in camaraderie, knowledge and humor in the online world. Good people and good forums all around. Enjoy your LT.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:03 pm

Sensor

So I was part right and wrong..oh heck..who know's, its how you look at things I guess.

Anyways.....called the dealer and...
Their is a sensor for the "Brake fluid sensor" that if the sensor is triggered then it gets set off. This can be caused by tilt over. If you run hot in the curves and scape the pegs this should not set off the sensor due to centripical force....

Well
take care
Ian
post #14 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Welcome, it's still under warranty right; Ride it like you stole it!

When I bought mine I called a different dealer and had him check for any warranty stuff and repairs, you just have to give him the VIN. You can also purchase an extended warranty from Bob's BMW and they will run a check on the bike using the VIN.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #15 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Roy,,, Did you test ride the bike??? Did you drop it??? Why would anybody else drop it on a test ride????

160 miles makes it a brand new bike....I bought a demo bike and never once worried about someone hurting it before I bought it......

Tip over sensor Now thats as funny as it gets right there ................Pete
post #16 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 2:43 pm

yea

Actually the canyon red i had before was tipped over in store before I bought it. So it happens. Heck in Ridewest I saw a person get on a new bmw and tipped it over getting on it. RIGHT THERE....the person was ok but felt bad.

So pete not sure if you are making those funny faces at me or not ?

Last edited by ihbond; Sep 19th, 2006 at 3:23 pm.
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:48 pm

I sir,,, Make them at anyone who will except them ............Pete
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
...Why would anybody else drop it on a test ride????...
Last summer I saw a CLC in a showroom that the owner had dropped twice in his first 11 miles on it. He brought it back and sold it to the dealer at a h-u-g-e loss because he was afraid to get back on it. Dealer replaced the parts that were banged up and sold it. Again. Nice discounted price on an almost-new bike!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:09 pm

hmm..

One of those dirty little secrets, where they still can sell it new, since it never left the lot or the truck! Sounds familiar!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in