K1200Lt PTSD Therapy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 4:50 am Thread Starter

K1200Lt PTSD Therapy

After lurking for a few weeks, Iím thinking Iím in good company with most of you. I gotta tell this story, and I donít believe anyone else will be able to empathize as well as you. If anyone reads this and posts a reply, I will consider it gravy to the psych-therapy just writing about this gives me. Here it is. Grab some tissues. It could get wet in here.

In July I fell madly in love with a pre-owned Ď05 K1200LT graphite killer-whale with more extras than I could count and only 7200 miles on the odometer. I was in the market for a new touring bike to be used primarily for dates with my lovely main-squeeze of the last 19 years, Cindy. This is the woman who was begging me to take her up to Brigham City on the back of my Honda Shadow 500 for a peach shake a mere 7 days after giving birth to our now 13 year old son. Two-times natural child birth with episiotomy not withstanding, sheís sweet, petit, pretty, and tougher than... anybody else Iíve ever known (and I work with some bad-ass folks.) Letís definitely say sheĎs tough enough to kick my ass for sharing with strangers way too much information! So, back to the bike. Cindy, who never spends much money on herself, insisted I consider getting a touring bike when we were financially ready. No one at work believes how lucky I am with the Lady. Never spends money, begs me to buy a bike! Who am I to refuse her? She works hard. I owe her. Iíll sacrifice!

BMW of North Salt Lake was my only local option for a beemer. I had looked at the Harleys and Goldwings, but just didnít see The One I had to have. Itís funny how the ďcounter cultureĒ of Harley riders has now become the main-stream norm. Itís not funny how I was treated when I walked into three local Harley Davidson dealerships (with 20k to spend, mind you) and was treated like a nuisance. I might as well have been a turd in a punch-bowl at the Four Seasons. I also kept reflecting on what a good friend of mine had to say about his 6000 mile round-trip to Anchorage a couple years ago aboard his Electraglide. Of his group of 6 riders, the only two that didnít suffer a major breakdown was the two with BMWís. That impressed me. So did the LT.

The first thing, of course, is the look. I had NEVER seen one. Unbelievable. Bat Byke? Fitting name, Sir. The second thing, of course, was me dropping it out in the parking lot as I pulled out for a test drive. My 30" in-seam and the charming pecadillo of the LTís top-HEAVY build contributed, as many of you can testify. No problem. I grew up getting tossed by nearly every horse I ever stepped up on, at least once. I got my ďthis is how you pick up an LTĒ lesson right off the bat. The sales guy was cool. He understood. I think. Anyway, I got her picked up and on her way just as a serious little summer squall hit the area. 30-40 mph winds, dust and light rain. Undaunted, I took this dream machine over rough surface streets and onto the interstate for a 20 mile ride. I could not believe how well it handled, even in the rotten weather. Weather I probably would not have tried to ride in if I hadnít been so damned spellbound (and embarrassed about dropping it.) I pulled back into the dealership and bought it. Right there! No regrets.

I caught pneumonia. Couldnít ride for several days. I Finally got to where I felt like going somewhere, and the clutch went out. Stranded me at my brotherís house on Wyoming. Enter BMW Roadside Assistance! Wow. These guys treated me like the King of Oompapa Mow-Mow. A week later, I get the LT back, after great service by Andy at BMW NSLC. Finally I can start putting miles on her. About 600 miles later (the last 200 with Cindy) we were ready for a nice day-trip with several friends. Decked-out in new helmets, jackets, and gloves, we had a wonderful morning riding Sardine Canyon to Logan, then to Bear Lake via Logan Canyon and over to the top of Monte Cristo. These are moderately twisty mountain roads, and we handled everything fine. That is, until mile marker 39 Utah HWY 39 west bound. We crashed. For no apparent reason, I missed a curve at 25-30 mph and hit a reflector post. One of those BIG TALL bastards you can see in 5 feet of snow. If I had taken off my helmet like Cindy had (just moments before, and without my knowledge) I would be dead instead of nursing two broken fingers and a broken collarbone. ďLuckily?Ē Cindy suffered only major lacerations to her scalp (49 staples) and broken ribs. She got to ride a helicopter that day as well. The LT, with less than 8k miles... totaled. I had it less than 6 weeks.

I have been riding seasonally for 15 years. Dirt bikes, the afore mentioned Shadow, a Suzi Marauder 800, and odd trips on borrowed bikes of all sizes. I have never crashed before. I keep trying to figure out what happened. I was knocked unconscious and I donít remember much more than drifting wide and trying to ease it back without over reacting. I was coming out of a right curve into a left curve going down hill, gravel shoulder.... I donít think I even tried to brake. The ABS may have saved the day, but I have years of riding behind me saying, ďdonít hit your skids on the curve... especially on gravel.Ē I think I became transfixed on that big-assed post at one point as well, and you know the physics.. ďthe bike follows your head.Ē A bad ending to a great day.

Bottom line is, she wants to ride again and so do I. With another six weeks to heal, Iím sure weíll ponder and decide to get another LT. Although Iíve had riding classes, I plan to do another or two if I can find a local one thatís appropriate. Any Utahns with suggestions? One thing IS CERTAIN... I donít think Iíll ever have to mention the ďHĒ-word to Cindy again. The jackets and gloves certainly helped too.

There. If you made it through the drivel, thanks for reading this. PTSD sucks, and it helps to talk/write it out. We will be getting back on the horse.
Frosty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:44 am

What a great entrance to your new LT "home". A good story, with great writing. I'm glad you stopped lurking and came in from the cold to share your experiences.

Glad to hear all is going well after some initial "speed bumps". You are a lucky man -- on several levels.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:53 am

As Howard mentioned, that certainly is a grand entrance into 'the asylum'. Your relationship with Cindy sounds very similar to the awesome relationship I have with my first bride of 21 years. I saw her for the first time in 5th grade and told my best buddy that I was going to marry her. 10 years later, I did just that.

I wish your story had a better ending though. Then again, I guess it really hasn't "ended", it's just ready for a new chapter. I BETTER chapter, we all hope.

I'll spare you my opinions and speculations of what I think happened. I'm not sure you're ready to hear that just yet. I would suggest that an MSF class may be in order when you're ready to ride again.

Thanks for taking the time to type the story.

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 7:37 am

Hey Frosty, live and learn. Most importantly is to live to ride another day. You've done that.

Great gal, great story. Hashing over in your brain till you figured out what happened and then not doing again is the ticket.

Yeppir, you fixated.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 8:00 am

Nice post about a bad time

Nice post Frosty. I enjoyed reading every word. You are lucky, in a lot of ways.
Heal well, and quickly. Both of you.
That'll be a learning experience for sure, too bad the price was kind of high. But then, it could have cost you more.

Whenever these things happen we reflect hard, which you clearly are doing. I have said the the LT is a dangerously seductive bike, but then many modern bikes are. I started street riding and long distance touring in 1972 and have logged a lot of miles since then. I walked away, only limping, from the few accidents I have had. As I reflect on those accidents I conclude that better riding skills might have gotten me out of trouble but it was error in judgement that got me into trouble in the first place. As time has gone by and I "dissect" the circumstances leading up to the accident, try to learn from it, and then try really hard not to let history repeat itself.

I try to learn from the experience of others too, and I appreciate your post for your honestly and insights.

I'm so glad you'll have the chance to consider another LT and sorry you didn't have more time with your first one.

Again, heal well, and welcome to this motley group. I think you'll find mostly support and encouragement here, and a desire to help.
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 8:01 am

Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you and your bride heal quickly. There are a couple of places that offer courses.

http://www.utahmre.com/
http://wheels-in-motion.com/USA.html#Utah
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=UT

Good luck and let me know if I can do anything to assist you.

Nathan Coe
K1600GLT
R1200GSA
Orem Utah

post #7 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Hey! Welcome. Barley pops are over there, sandwiches this way...

I see you've pulled up a chair - good story! Thanks for sharing - we all gain from 'em.

Since you've had a bit of a ride'n background, I'd guess you may have a simialr perspective that I had back when. Namely, something this shape, weight and size can't turn. Boy oh boy - get ready! Push 'er over, crank the bars, get a knee down - these babies can freak'n TURN

Twisties are a natural - enjoy the next one!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Garage
Hi, Frosty:

Welcome to the fold. I'm happy to hear you and Cindy survived your ordeal to ride another day. When you do that, I would recommend you take an MSF course, and take an ERC (Experienced Rider Course) which are taught using your own bike. Nothing will prevent a crash or mishap, but the more training one has, the more one's reflexes respond automatically to potential disasters. Good luck.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Handshake with kid gloves

Thanks to everyone so far for your support and kind words. We are both healing as well as 40-somethings can . It's been three weeks. We are back to work and trying to keep up with two teens when they're not in school. We know it could have been much worse, and those of you who have posted far worse crash stories have made me feel even luckier!

As for comments by many others in our life, some have been supportive of getting back on the pony, while others, a you would expect, think it's crazy to even consider it. My reply is, it would be crazy to waste such expensive experience! Another member posted a comment on another thread: "Everyone dies, not everyone really lives!" Braveheart was one of my favorite movies too .

And finally, I work in what can be a very negative environment. It's nice to know there's positive folks in the world like the members of this board.

F
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMac
...As for comments by many others in our life, some have been supportive of getting back on the pony, while others, as you would expect, think it's crazy to even consider it. My reply is, it would be crazy to waste such expensive experience!...
I like that. With your permission, I'll use it the next time I get a snooty comment about riding a bike from someone.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Permission?

Thanks Howard, but you don't need permission to tell the TRUTH!!
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Very glad to see you are both OK.

My Bests Wishes

Bob, 00LT
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Lose the lumps, not the LESSON!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 9:34 pm

I'm glad you and the wife are okay. I'm 35 and have been riding for 31 years, the last ten on street bikes. I find the LT such a remarkable bike that I have had to real in the urge to do the silly thing I use to do on sports bikes, though It has left me braking really hard into a couple of corners. Bad knee and worse ankles considered I would not trade one minute that I have spent on a motorcycle for anything in the world. Motorcycles have been the staple of my father's and my relationship for 30 years.{although he owns 2 noisy hd thank God I have no problem passing either} I own two dirt bikes again as you can see from the aviator and I cherish every minute I spend in the woods with my 11 year old son. So with that said, brush of the seat of your pants, thank God every morning when you get up, kiss that loving wife and see this beautiful country without have to look through a window.

Tony

Last edited by tsk1200ltc; Sep 18th, 2006 at 9:46 pm. Reason: I can't type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in