XM/GPS/etc install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Post XM/GPS/etc install

Not sure which 'subforum' in accessories this would go into, since it's applicable to a variety of gadget mounts...

I dug around on the forums a bit before tackling my XM installation, and I don't believe I saw the method I used, so I'll post it here. It took me all of an hour, including taking the pictures, and it turned out pretty clean.

Purchased items:
RoadyHolder, offset right (BMW clutch version), $34, www.hoonhardware.com
XSOReeKey voltage converter (can't remember cost, bought it a long time ago), www.2wheelinnovations.com (think they're out of business, but hoon has an eqivalent power supply for about $30.
Female spade crimp terminals, .110" width

What I hadn't seen before is someone tapping power from a connector I found inside the left handlebar plastic. My '03 LTC has the ComSystem with a PTT button under the left grip, and this connector was a breakout from that harness lead (see first photo below). Anyone know what this connector is normally for? It was just tucked under the handlebar, nothing connected.

I probed the three pins and found black to be ground, white to be dead, and red to be 12VDC switched to the ignition key. I bought the female spade terminals, which fit nicely into the connector housing.

Then I tucked all 600' of wire into the lower handlebar plastic, secured with a few Ty-raps, and was still able to get the upper piece back on with no trouble. I really like having the antenna wire tucked away, rather than bundled up on the back of the RoadyHolder bracket like HoonHardware suggests.

I use the over-the-air FM transmission for the audio hookup - I don't do much cross country travel, so I don't need to worry 'bout the direct FM antenna connection.

Now, if I could just get the iPod hooked up as nicely, I'd be set...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Spare connector used for power.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	6774   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Voltage converter.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	600.2 KB
ID:	6775   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 Power connection made.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	6776   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Wires dressed.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	6777   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Voltage converter fits snugly under bundle near steering column.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	6778  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Rear view of completed install.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	6779  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Thanks for the tips and pics. I am kicking around the idea of getting a GPS and XM Radio and want to DIY install. What are your thoughts on protection from the rain? Does it look like some type of rain-suit would be practical? Or possibly mounting a similar setup on a BMR shelf?
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Nice install. I've never seen power in the bar on my '05. Looks very clean.

I use the Marine cover for my SkiFi II. Works great. If it looks like it's going to rain, I just snap on the clear cover And Keep riding. I've had it a couple downpours with no leaks. I ordered the cover and mount separately from the marine kit, directly from XM for about $30. The entire marine kit runs about $100 if I remember right. I also ordered an antenna with a 6ft lead so I could get away from that extra 600' of wire.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in