Bike died shifting into first - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Bike died shifting into first

The title pretty much says it all. As I was coming to a stop at a stop sign, I downshifted to first and the bike died (the battery and "brake failure" warning lights were on). It started right back up again, but I just want to make sure that nothing else is wrong. I checked everything that I could think of (clutch was all the way in, sidestand was all the way up & kill switch was in 'run'), but everything seemed ok.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it a sign of something else or just my paranoia?

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Could be several thingsBattery... loose connection there.. I've had mind do same.. about 6 mos before before battery died.. so, I verified the battery connections... but what I think it was, in my case was the "RUN" switch.. I moved it back and forth several times and started using it regularly, I never had the problem again.

Might also be the sidestand switch... if the contact breaks when in gear the motor will shutoff.. Put bike on HCS (Hydraulic Center Stand), operate the sidestand a hundred times or so... fully extend, fully retract is one "cycle"..

Same thing with the 'RUN' switch... operate it a bunch of times so it "breaks in".

There are other connectors on the bike that could be needing a remove and reconnect.. you can do it or you can tell the dealer it needs a terardown and reconnect.

When we do it ourselves we use the contact lube...seals against moisture and improves electrical conductance.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Bike died shifting into first.

Last weekend I had a similar malfunction occur. As I was down shifting I saw the battery light flutter.

However, in my instance Im sure it was an operator malfunction. Sometimes I am so busy looking at the roadway, traffic and scenery and I guess s--t happens

Phil D.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 4:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
When my '02 was brand new, it died a couple of times while decelerating for a stop light. The dealer assured me it was normal, which didn't make me happy. After riding a while, the problem went away.

I now believe that it's the Motronic trying to learn the bike and your individual riding habits. Basically, it just hasn't quite figured out the minimum throttle opening to maintain a stable idle yet. Keep riding, and pay attention for a while until it settles down.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
When my '02 was brand new, it died a couple of times while decelerating for a stop light. The dealer assured me it was normal, which didn't make me happy. After riding a while, the problem went away.

I now believe that it's the Motronic trying to learn the bike and your individual riding habits. Basically, it just hasn't quite figured out the minimum throttle opening to maintain a stable idle yet. Keep riding, and pay attention for a while until it settles down.
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping.

Phil - I'm still thinking that it wasn't operator error. I'm not ruling it out - it sure possible. I just can't think of what I would have done wrong.

AJ

post #6 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I seem to remember my 05 died a few times as well. It hasn't happened in such a long time I had forgotten about it. Just enjoy and don't decell so hard in 2nd until you get a few K on it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 9:19 pm

It happened once on my 02 back in 2003. I never knew why.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:13 am
IBR# 366

Garage
As I understand it, idle speed is set purely by the Motronic. There is no fixed idle screw like on older carbureted bikes (or cars, for that matter). After getting a few miles on it, the Motronic will settle down.

After disconnecting the battery to do some electrical work earlier this year, I reset the throttle position sensor as recommended (key on, don't start, two full turns of the throttle on/off, key off, then start as normal). The bike died easily for the first few miles but soon settled down.

Just make sure you let the brakes cycle through their self check before riding off, or you'll realize how string the power boosters are (actually, how weak the brakes are without the boosters active) That can be a real eye-opener if you're not prepared for it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Just make sure you let the brakes cycle through their self check before riding off, or you'll realize how string the power boosters are (actually, how weak the brakes are without the boosters active) That can be a real eye-opener if you're not prepared for it.
I always do that (I've noted it when just duck-walking the bike around in my driveway the difference ).

It's good to know about the idle being set by the Motronic - I have noticed at times where the idle seems it dips a little low. Maybe the bike just isn't used to me yet. Gee, I guess I have to go ride it more..

AJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in