• 1 Post By oldmopars
  • 1 Post By johnbaker15
  • 1 Post By rosmba
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By rosmba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Question winter nap

although it has been very nice the last few weeks, I have been so pressed for time that I have not had time to ride my new to me machine much. Anyway, it will end up sitting under the car port for the winter. I am going to order a cover for it and have a battery tender. Do you guys that end up not riding for a few months use staybil on these BMWs? I do with my Harley, but this things seems, if I am reading things here correctly, to be a finicky and high maintanance machine. And with no close service shop and given that even a quote on an oil change for this thing is nearly double that of my Harley, which is 50% higher than a Honda. I don't want any nasty surprises in march or April when I can get back to riding.

As always thanks for all the help guys.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 9:58 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: winter nap

No problem adding Stabil to the tank. Make sure you fill it up to reduce condensation in the tank. Better to do an oil change before storage, but one shortly after you bring her out will also work. Oil change is fairly easy to DIY. Plenty of good videos out there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 1:29 pm

I have been running my fuel to very low before refilling with ethanol-free fuel for the last two tanks. After that, I add Seafoam.

See Kirk videos to see a good list of DIYs on services. Maint./ Repair Videos

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Garage

Unless you live somewhere that working on your own bike is not allowed, you have physical limitations, or more money than brains, just change the oil yourself. It is really easy. There are videos, and instructions both here and in your manual (You have one, Right?).
As for high maintenance, compared to a Harley? NO, compared to a basic no frills Honda, Yes.
Most of the things that you need to do on the KLT are the same things that need to be done on any other bike. Oil change, Brake fluid flush, other fluid flush/change etc. All bike need valve adjustment some time, all bike need fluid change/flush.
These bikes have a few more things that you might need to fix/adjust but that is only because they have so much extra stuff on them. These bike are fully loaded touring machines.
I have an older KLR 650 and I do all the same stuff it it as the BMW, and it is as basic as you can get(2 wheels, 1 cylinder, 1 carb)
So, learn how to do your own fluid changes, use Staybil and pure gas, a battery tender, you will be just fine.
rosmba likes this.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #5 of 16 Old Dec 14th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Unless you live somewhere that working on your own bike is not allowed, you have physical limitations, or more money than brains, just change the oil yourself. It is really easy. There are videos, and instructions both here and in your manual (You have one, Right?).
As for high maintenance, compared to a Harley? NO, compared to a basic no frills Honda, Yes.
Most of the things that you need to do on the KLT are the same things that need to be done on any other bike. Oil change, Brake fluid flush, other fluid flush/change etc. All bike need valve adjustment some time, all bike need fluid change/flush.
These bikes have a few more things that you might need to fix/adjust but that is only because they have so much extra stuff on them. These bike are fully loaded touring machines.
I have an older KLR 650 and I do all the same stuff it it as the BMW, and it is as basic as you can get(2 wheels, 1 cylinder, 1 carb)
So, learn how to do your own fluid changes, use Staybil and pure gas, a battery tender, you will be just fine.

+1 on that.

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2015, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

OK... LOL... made my attempt at changing the oil today. Have been a wrench for years but on street rods, muscle cars and harleys. So anyway I get everything, I think, I need to do the oil change. All of the available garage space is used up so this is in the drive, 45 degrees, threatening rain deal. First I find that the only size metric hex I do not have on hand is the one for the smaller bolts in the oil filter cover. Ok, quick trip 5 miles each way to parts store solves that. Also looked for a different filter remover cup as the one I have that nearly fits the BMW filter I way over paid for (I know I'll use that place you all recommend next time) seems to be set up for 12 flats not 14 but it has a upper section that seems to have 40 notches so I figure ok it will work. WRONG... LOL.. get the cover off and no way is my filter cup going to budge that filter and it is so tight on one side the I end up grinding down the little flare on my cup to get it up in there to begin with.

Oh well. What are you guys using as a filter cup? point me in the right direction as she is sitting out there with no oil in her and it is supposed to be nearly 70 on Christmas day.. GRRRRRRR

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2015, 3:11 pm

Garage

I would just leave the filter off this time. You can change it next time.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2015, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree View Post
I would just leave the filter off this time. You can change it next time.
I still have my Harley, I'll ride it until I get what I need for my LT. I would love to see your "rat rod" LT... any pictures of it?

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #9 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2015, 7:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Take the filter wrench that most closely fits and run three screws into it and the filter....that should do it until you get the correct size one.
rosmba likes this.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
Take the filter wrench that most closely fits and run three screws into it and the filter....that should do it until you get the correct size one.
now there is a genius idea... never heard of that.. but that ought to work... going to be a few days before I have day light to try it but thanks
johnbaker15 likes this.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #11 of 16 Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 2:29 pm

Garage

This was the Rat Bike. Most of the parts had some sort of damage, but I made it ride-able. ABS didn't work, windshield was just bolted in place with home made brackets, saddle bags were held together with epoxy and kevlar thread, seat and knee pads recovered, shocks were shot, but it was ride-able!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rat.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	95346   Click image for larger version

Name:	rat1.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	95354   Click image for larger version

Name:	rat3.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	95362  

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 8:54 am Thread Starter

I was expecting way more rat than that. but I like it, you could have fashioned a tank cover that would have topped it off. There is a guy up 81 from me that has a completely ratted out honda cruiser. No original Tupperware at all, lowered, cafe cowl... the thing is amazing. And the crotch rocket locals tell me it is fast... you would really have to see it to appreciate it, but then I like rat rods. Some really great back yard engineering in most of those rigs.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 24th, 2015, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

I placed an order late on tuesday afternoon for the oil change kit with filter cup from Beemerboneyard and WOW.. it came yesterday afternoon and I was able to get the oil change finished up today. Just one question. I put in the 3. 75 qt. as suggested but I still can not see anything in the oil level window. The oil was black as tar so I am thinking it may have coated the inside of the window. It is all back together now, but I was wondering, maybe a rookie mistake, while the filter was out should I have reached up in there and attempted to clean off the inside of that window? Can it even be reached from there with the filter out?

well anyway can not praise the boneyard more, thanks to those of you that recommended that place. Also, Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #14 of 16 Old Dec 24th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Garage

The oil should clear off the sight glass, no matter how dirty the old stuff was. Did you run the bike any? Also, I'm assuming you changed the filter. Yes? If so, 3.75 may not be quite enough since the filter needs to fill with oil. I haven't done an oil change on my bike yet, so I could be completely off, but I'm thinking that either there's not enough or the oil just hasn't filled all of the right holes yet after a short run.

2000 R1100RT
post #15 of 16 Old Dec 24th, 2015, 4:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Filled with new, clean oil, it may look like it doesn't show. I filled mine up a couple of changes ago, and thought it didn't have enough oil in it, but it turned out that the amount I had put in was over the top of the sight glass. Once started, the level dropped down to where I could see it and all was good...
Whiskey likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #16 of 16 Old Dec 24th, 2015, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Filled with new, clean oil, it may look like it doesn't show. I filled mine up a couple of changes ago, and thought it didn't have enough oil in it, but it turned out that the amount I had put in was over the top of the sight glass. Once started, the level dropped down to where I could see it and all was good...
I filled the filter and went by the amount recommend in the repair guide. I did start it but didn't ride it. oil pressure light is out so I assume it at least has enough oil in it....
Whiskey likes this.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in