Extending the warranty??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 1:43 am Thread Starter

Extending the warranty???

Okay, I looked through the FAQ section and can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Have any of you extended the warranty on your bike? My 2003 I just bought is still covered under the original warranty as it was bought in early 2004, but I sure don't want to have to pay for service if something goes wrong.

Can anyone suggest an extended warranty company, or does BMW themselves extend the warranty on their bikes? Also, what types of coverages do you have and what are the costs?

Thanks for the help for the newbie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 2:00 am

Cars yes, Bike no

Can't say that I've heard of this. Had 3 BMWs, all of which came with the 2 year unlimited mileage guarantee. For BMW it's a case of swings and roundabouts for mileages on bikes during the guarantee period, but this is what I think they base their decision on not to extend waranties. If it goes wrong out of warranty, you are forced to fix it$$$ What a pleasure - more business for them!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
There are a few companies that do extended warranties for BMW motorcycles. Several members here have them, and some have paid out well over the years. Prices vary of course, and some will only work if the bike is still under factory warranty. Also, be sure to read the fine print on exactly what is covered, and what isn't. Most dealers prefer to work with warranty companies they've had good luck with in the past, or which they sell directly for, so you should ask your local dealer's opinion as well.

Find the Search button above, and enter "extended warranty" into the box. That will give you a good place to start, at least until everyone wakes up in the morning.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blavenia
Okay, I looked through the FAQ section and can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Have any of you extended the warranty on your bike? My 2003 I just bought is still covered under the original warranty as it was bought in early 2004, but I sure don't want to have to pay for service if something goes wrong.

Can anyone suggest an extended warranty company, or does BMW themselves extend the warranty on their bikes? Also, what types of coverages do you have and what are the costs?

Thanks for the help for the newbie!

A good thing to do is to ride it for a bit before you spend the cash on it and make sure you are going to really like and keep the bike.

a word of caution, read the contract CLOSE, and see what all it will cover, some things may not be covered by some insurance companies,

like elect windshield motors, clutches, exhaust, reverse problems, slave cyl problems. also many added extended warranty will not cover oil leaks if not purchased with the bike when it was new, you are the second owner right.

the only other reason you may want one is for the final drive, the engine is going to last a L O N G! TIME

a final drive costs about a grand

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 6:54 am

I've heard good things about Bob's Bmw extended warranty; a little pricey, but they are good according to the people I have asked.
Don't listen to all the whinning you get from this list. The bike is a machine and things break as on all machines but this one holds up better than all most of the others.
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 8:26 am
Gene

Here is the reply I received from Bob's BMW when I asked about an extended warranty on my 2002 which was out of factory warranty. Hope this helps.

Gene

BMW does not offer an extended warranty. They leave it up to the dealers to
find the best one out there. Our warranty (Starsport underwritten through
Interstate) can be used nationwide and in Canada.

You can purchase an extended warranty if the bike is out of warranty
however; the length of warranty you can choose is limited to three
additional years.

You can choose to extend your warranty for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years while under
BMW warranty. The warranties are unlimited mileage and provide coverage that
can be used nationwide and in Canada. You can choose either a $50 or $0
deductible. You can select ABS coverage and Seals & Gaskets coverage as
well. Prices while under warranty range from $939 - $1473 depending on the
term, CC size and deductible you choose. Prices range from $829 to $1766 if
out of BMW warranty.

If this sounds like something you may be interested I would be more then
happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Thank you,

Tiena Miller
Finance & Insurance
Bob's BMW Motorcycles-Vespa Columbia
10720 Guilford Road
Jessup, MD 20794-9385
301-497-8949 x 210
240-554-0083-fax
www.bobsbmw.com
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The extended warranties take over after the factory warranty expires, right? So if you cross 36K in two years, the extended warranty comes into play then (not at three years after purchase)?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Several great responses here. I did search some for extended warranties and found a lot of information, but what's listed here is great.

Let me be clear. It's a 2003 that was bought in January 2004. It has 14,800 miles and is under factory warranty until Jan 2007. I've ridden it two days in a row and love it, but I will continue to ride it to make sure, but given the fact that I spent what I consider a small fortune for a bike I want to make sure I'm covered.

I'm pretty sure I want to extend it. I need something that works well in many areas of the East, since I travel a lot and will be moving to Tennessee from Orlando very soon.

Thanks all.
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:55 am

Where at in TN? I ask this because it might make a difference in what dealership you will mainly use

many in the Chattanooga and surrounding area use bmw Atlanta

(I use them and have had Excellent service there)

you might want to call the dealer that will be close to you (or decide how far you are willing to travel for a GOOD dealer (ok yes plugging BMW Atlanta here<g>)

anyhow call them ask them their opinion on extended contracts they sell,
Like I said earlier BE SURE of what you are buying, READ the contract and make sure it covers what you think it will

Tom

post #10 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawkfe
Here is the reply I received from Bob's BMW when I asked about an extended warranty on my 2002 which was out of factory warranty. Hope this helps.

Gene

BMW does not offer an extended warranty. They leave it up to the dealers to
find the best one out there. Our warranty (Starsport underwritten through
Interstate)

Tiena Miller
Finance & Insurance
Bob's BMW Motorcycles-Vespa Columbia
10720 Guilford Road
Jessup, MD 20794-9385
301-497-8949 x 210
240-554-0083-fax
www.bobsbmw.com

Ok I have interstate and they will not cover

heated grips, any Part of the clutch even if soaked in oil from a rear seal leak, Exhaust system, Electric windshield, OR any part of the reverser unit - I know this from expereince with my '02 lt.

They did not bat a eye on covering the rear main oil seal (but refused to pay for the oil soaked clutch)
they did not bat a eye to pay for the final drive or my stereo head.

I do have the ABS option (which is a option) but it had already been replaced and I have not had one problem with it since, but I do get the entire system flushed each year on both bikes not just the priomary one year then the hydro the next, they get it all every year

so here is a local with experience with interstate

Tom

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The extended warranties take over after the factory warranty expires, right? So if you cross 36K in two years, the extended warranty comes into play then (not at three years after purchase)?
no not really it all depends on the contract

that is another thing WATCH how the sales man sell it to you

you may think your getting a 7 year warrenty , but in reality it may only be a four year extended

Tom

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:33 am

I just bought an extended warranty for my '02 LT. It's called the "Sell the LT and buy an '06 GT" plan. I think I'm going to like it a LOT!
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 8:21 am

I am about to purchase an extended warranty from my dealer so I just got filled in. He said the warranty covers everything except electronic items, specifically the radio, windshield motor, heated grips, etc. It includes seals, rear drive, ABS and everything else. There is no deductable. Three years, unlimited mileage. Must be purchased before expiration of the factory warranty. If service is performed by my dealer they can just do it and be reimbursed. If done elsewhere, prior permission must be received. As explained to me, this is a 72 month warranty back dated to the purchase date of the bike. The factory warranty covers repairs until out of factory warranty however you can take advantage of the other features such as towing and motel stays during repairs. Cost $1100.00

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I just bought an extended warranty for my '02 LT. It's called the "Sell the LT and buy an '06 GT" plan. I think I'm going to like it a LOT!
it's called sell a bike for new every 36k miles and your fine, actually that is not a bad plan if ya only did say 36k miles a year <grin>

me I only do about 3600 a year these days!

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in