Video: Ride Around the Lake - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Video: Ride Around the Lake

This is a video I put together of a short ride around a local lake. The riding choices here in my area are very limited for anything mildly entertaining. Winter is here and riding days for pure fun are limited.

I was interested in a comment on another thread about videos. So, I decided to try to mix it up a little bit. The process took a long time with some interesting challenges to overcome. I hope you like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 4:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Video: Ride Around the Lake

Interesting and thanks for sharing! I liked the variety in camera viewpoints. I've got lots of videos of my travels, but don't have the editing skills needed to put something like this together.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 9:38 am

Nice Job making it interesting GJ!
Reminds Me of when I was stationed in Oklahoma in 1985.

(I see that Your LT is one of the Most Reliable Colors!)

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Garage

Hey nice job on the video. I just got a second GoPro today to do the same kind of stuff. You did a great job.
Having been through Kansas I am surprised you found anything interesting to video. Nice place to live, but I am spoiled by the North West and all its scenic views.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #5 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
Nice Job making it interesting GJ!
Reminds Me of when I was stationed in Oklahoma in 1985.

(I see that Your LT is one of the Most Reliable Colors!)
I think I saw this color is the one most widely available. While not my first choice, I don't really see the color when I am riding the bike.
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Hey nice job on the video. I just got a second GoPro today to do the same kind of stuff. You did a great job.
Having been through Kansas I am surprised you found anything interesting to video. Nice place to live, but I am spoiled by the North West and all its scenic views.
There's not much to choose from within a couple of hours from here. When we get some good weather again, I hope to post some more videos of my other two favorite places but they are a little further away than this lake.

You should get some great shots with the 2 GoPro cameras. Fun!
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 9:09 pm

About how fast was your max cruise speed? The wide angle lens of the Go-Pro makes it seem really fast. Why was there so much more vibration on the RH views? And what/how was the camera mounted?

No Snow here (Mpls) yet but also no riding anymore. Nice job!
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

My max speed was only about 40mph indicated. When looking forward and backwards, the speed isn't too bad looking but from the side view, it seems faster; one of the reasons people shouldn't look out the window sideways to avoid car sickness. Most high speed chases in movies aren't high speed at all, about 20mph with other cars going slower and/or stopped. Shots low to the ground seem faster too. I guess it is kind of like riding a go kart that feels really fast because you are sitting a few inches off the ground.

I shot the forward with the GoPro on the helmet for the forward shot. I used my iPhone for the right hand shot. I was strapped for a place to put the iPhone and it ended up being attached to my cup-holder on the handlebar, resulting in more vibration. Next time, I will move this camera elsewhere. This was kind of a test video. I did a second take with my glove in between the attachment and cupholder but didn't get the camera straight enough to my liking for the second attempt that cut the rattle/buzzing out as well. I just watched the second take again and it is much smoother. Maybe I'll do a re-edit and put the better footage in, although it will require some more manipulation to get the level better. I have an assortment of camera attachments I bought in China.
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

I thought about smoothing the whole video out but it is a motorcycle; it does vibrate.
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 14th, 2015, 9:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen View Post
About how fast was your max cruise speed? The wide angle lens of the Go-Pro makes it seem really fast. Why was there so much more vibration on the RH views? And what/how was the camera mounted?

No Snow here (Mpls) yet but also no riding anymore. Nice job!
I went back and replaced the right view footage with the second take of the right view and don't like the results. I haven't published the second version. The camera was smoother but I didn't have the angle of the camera set as well the second time. So, the ground is in good focus but the trees and lake isn't in very good focus.
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 14th, 2015, 11:30 am Thread Starter

So, I figured I had done the hard work of putting the video together. It doesn't really take any work to publish it. So, here is the second version. You can decide if you like the first version or the second version better. If I watch the videos anymore, I will start tweaking them more and more. I will fight the urge to make any more changes, like keeping the second version's view until the slow motion and keeping the slow motion of the original... see, I'm already thinking about tweaks.
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 25th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Jim,
At first, I thought it might be Lake Afton (I remember the races & car shows at Afton), but then decided it could be a small lake east of Winfield. Eldorado is a more irregular shaped lake. So which lake is it?

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 30th, 2016, 1:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Jim,
At first, I thought it might be Lake Afton (I remember the races & car shows at Afton), but then decided it could be a small lake east of Winfield. Eldorado is a more irregular shaped lake. So which lake is it?

Bob
Hey, You had the guess right and then talked yourself out of it. The road around the lake near Winfield has a much rougher road if you want to venture around the lake. I decided I didn't want to jar my teeth around the Winfield lake so I moved on the day I checked it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in