transmission question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 12th, 2015, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage
transmission question

I have a 1999 K1200LT which I purchased over the summer and have ridden it for a few days now. This bike does not have reverse(any longer). It has a 6 speed transmission which I'm thinking has come off another model. It runs and rides very well. I believe all the K1200LT's came with a 5 speed transmission. Am I wrong on that? Is it possible to find out the type of bike this transmission came off by using the serial number from the transmission? Thanks for any info.
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Dec 12th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Re: transmission question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
I have a 1999 K1200LT which I purchased over the summer and have ridden it for a few days now. This bike does not have reverse(any longer). It has a 6 speed transmission which I'm thinking has come off another model. It runs and rides very well. I believe all the K1200LT's came with a 5 speed transmission. Am I wrong on that? Is it possible to find out the type of bike this transmission came off by using the serial number from the transmission? Thanks for any info.
Tony
I am not your tranny subject matter expert. But I can tell you that all OEM K1200LTs came with a 5 speed tranny with a reverse.

Someone must have swapped in a compatible 6 speed transmission. What model bike it might have came from is beyond me, but I would suspect a similar year K1200, maybe a GT or RS?

Others who know more will chime in. Saddleman or jzeiler will probably know.
post #3 of 5 Old Dec 12th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
Tony
As CharlieVT posted, it is probably a repair or modification done using a K1200RS (1998-2005) or K1200GT (2003-2005) transmission. I have never tried, but I am 99% sure these would fit the clutch bell housing of ANY K1200LT sharing the same "brick-engine" design. Someone on the K1200RS forum has done the reverse swap: install a K1200LT engine mated to a K1200RS transmission into the frame of a K1200RS (he had found a very cheap K1200LT engine to replace broken engine on his K1200RS).

See lower section of attached document (link below picture) for the transmission serial number scheme used on BMW of that era. The letter "F" or "H" will clarify the source of this transmission.

Using the same PDF document, you can ALSO check the source of your engine Serial-number in case it is not from a K1200LT of same year as your bike (or minus 1 year in production). NOTE missing info in PDF document: engine of K1200RS/K1200GT have letter "EA" as "Federal-Emission-code", HOWEVER a "real" K1200LT engine should have letter "EC" as shown in 2nd attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT (2005) Engine_Serial_number_YEAR.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	95002  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200_Engine_Gearbox _Serial_number_codes.pdf (614.8 KB, 123 views)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 5 Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 12:58 pm

Serial #'s won't help you if someone put RS gears into an LT case.

which is also very possible.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 6:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This cut away is an RS transmission. Note the end cap on the starter. The second photo is a normal LT transmission with the starter in the reverse area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Innards1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	95370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Bolt.PNG
Views:	134
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	95378  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in