Looks Like I Have Finally Found the Right LT for me... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Rear Seat "Lip" with Ft Worth Rack...

Found the right LT for me and one of the first things I am going to do is remove the trunk and install a Ft. Worth rack. It's a 2002 LTC (in black, of course).

I saw a picture without the trunk and the rear seat didn't have the backrest "lip". Here it is:

Is this seat modified? Most of the pics I see of LT's without trunks, the rear seat has that "lip-backrest". It's not the end of the world to have it but I prefer it without the seat "lip". What do I need to do? Is that a custom seat?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by BlackBMW; Sep 16th, 2006 at 5:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 1:43 am
IBR# 366

Garage
That's definitely been modified. The front seat and the vinyl looks stock, so I'd guess they just pulled the cover off the rear seat, cut the plastic lip and foam down, sewed the cover down closer, then put the cover back on. You could do this yourself, or have a local auto upholstery shop do it for you.

I've thought of this mod before, but had never seen one actually done. Nice job.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 8:15 am

Passenger might object

Passenger might prefer the lip for comfort and security. I added the Ft. Worth rack last month and the only complaint for my wife is that she felt better with the higher trunk behind her. I really do love the new feel though of the lack of trunk and the way the bike handles at low speed. Hate the missing trunk storage, but most of the time it was empty and it is simply a compromise.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:06 pm

Took the trunk off for local runs and did a 1200 mile roundtrip with it off and a couple of bags strapped on. Loved the way it handled.
Trunk back on for a 4400 mile trip. Needed the trunk space and the handling required more attention but it still handled great.
Getting great comments from others who see it..
Best comment to date: ' is that an LT?' (that was from another BMW rider on a GS)
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I usually remove the trunk when riding solo. The bike just feels better.

A couple of years ago I was riding with a bunch of random guys on a Pashnit tour. After a particularly twisty section, the other LT rider came up to me and said "You were really flying. What are you riding?" When I pointed out that I was on the same bike as he was, he was quite surprised. I guess he never figured an LT could move like that.

I managed to surprise everyone once again as we were gathering groceries for the BBQ that night.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Ken, what's the display there covering your odements (jocky) box? Looks to be an LCD panel of some kind - GPS?

Never seen a mount like that - what is it?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #7 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 4:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, GPS. The tray was made by a German company to house the display from a VDO-Dayton MS5000 GPS unit. It was leading edge about 5 years ago, but is starting to show its age. The newer units surpass its capabilities, but few have such large, bright screens.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in