What would be a Exc. deal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter

What would be a Exc. deal?

I'm going to look at a 2000 LT today and am aware of the issues surrounding the earlier models, especially concerning the final drive. I'm not without a bike right now, (in fact I have two) but thought if I could get the bike at a bargain price, even though they do have their problems I could take a chance on it. The bike has 24,000 miles on it, has only been ridden a couple hundred miles in the last 3 yrs., has not had the valves adjusted, or the oil changed. The bike is the C model I think. Anyway I better get this posted as I go for a test ride in about an hour. Just need some feedback as to what you think would be a killer deal. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:16 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Never had an oil change or hasn't had one in 3 years?

Should be in the $6,500-$8,500 depending on condition and added accessories.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 9:19 am

I think for a bike that has been in storage that long, I'd insist that the owner allow a dealership to go over the bike as a curtesy inspection, at the least. And of course, have the dealer punch in the VIN # for past history of service/warranty work.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:00 am

If you feel you can get a good enough deal on it, the previously post range sounds fine, with $8500 being about all I would pay for it as long as everything is working on it.

I would certainly do a full service on it ASAP, with absolute attention paid to ALL fluid changes, especially brake and clutch flushing. That is TOO long to have them sitting there. Moisture plays havoc with the fluids.

I think I would also go ahead and get a new Odyssey or Westco AGM battery and put it in also. Check the tires for fine cracking. Not sure how long it has been on them, they have surely been changed at least once in 24K.

If the throttle seems stiff, and won't "snap" back closed when released, plan on upgrading to the new type cables. If it has any throttle hesitation when accellerated from around 2500-3000 RPM when the air temp. is over 85 degrees, a 2000 likely does not have the upgraded Motronic, unless it was one the owner had done for that reason. The only way to stop the hot hesitation is either have the Motronic upgraded (don't know if dealers will still do that free on a bike that old), or unplug the air box temp sensor. If you do that you HAVE to always use premium fuel in hot weather. Most use premium allways anyway though, as this is a pretty high compression engine.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 4:30 pm

% grand would be great.
The bike sitting without the oil being changed, leaves combustion by products in the engine. AKA acids, that is why they say so many miles or a certain amount of time between oil changes.
Might go 6 grand
Rock
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikexup1
I'm going to look at a 2000 LT today and am aware of the issues surrounding the earlier models, especially concerning the final drive. I'm not without a bike right now, (in fact I have two) but thought if I could get the bike at a bargain price, even though they do have their problems I could take a chance on it. The bike has 24,000 miles on it, has only been ridden a couple hundred miles in the last 3 yrs., has not had the valves adjusted, or the oil changed. The bike is the C model I think. Anyway I better get this posted as I go for a test ride in about an hour. Just need some feedback as to what you think would be a killer deal. Thanks
shoot I got a '02 that has never missed maintence in fact has had several extra's done. right now as of august is current up top date with anuals - everything, shoot new tires as well, and comes with a brand new extra front.
still has 3 years of non deductable extended warranty left on it. (good till august 17 2009)

7900- 10800 NADA

8k it's yours now and I won't wait for my new one to come in

<g>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 7:40 am Thread Starter

I rode the bike, it ran ok, but the fact that it has just been sitting, and looks like it hasn't been washed in the 3yrs., made me real hesitant in even wanting to make an offer. It was one of those cases where the guy has so much going on he doesn't really have time for a bike, and truthfully I think he was scared of the bike. He hadn't ridden in 30 yrs., and just as much said he bought the bike on a whim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in