• 1 Post By MikeERideWNC
  • 2 Post By norton
  • 1 Post By MikeERideWNC
  • 1 Post By Scubadoc
  • 1 Post By rattler50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Anyone buying a Camera this year?

There are so many cameras’ out there. Really hard to choose. We have done some comparisons and gotten a lot of feedback over the years. Put together some details and specifics on some of the most popular ones and thought I would share them. GoPro gets lots of attention, but there are some other great cameras out there. Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Sport Action Camera: Which One is Right for YOU?

May help as you are looking for gift ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPRO_GWB_main2__15332.1415308177.315.315.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	94818  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Re: Anyone buying a Camera this year?

I use Contour... Contour Action Cameras - Official Website

I like how well they hide when on a bike or car.
The quality and functionality is better than GoPro.
GoPro has knocked it out of the park with marketing...
However, why would you want an ugly square in a plastic cast hanging off of a bike.

Here in NC. The Five-O knows to look for cameras.
I want mine to go unnoticed. There are sometimes a lot of infractions on it.

Good luck. Everyone has their favorite.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 27 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 7:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
Here in NC. The Five-O knows to look for cameras.
I want mine to go unnoticed. There are sometimes a lot of infractions on it.
Uhhh, I have no idea what this means....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 7:30 am

Dang! How old are you?
In the seventies there was a TV show called Hawaii Five-O. It was a police detective show. This show was resurrected a few years ago.
Slang for the police is Five-O.
If a police officer stops you for speeding and sees a camera, he is allowed to view the footage on the camera...
Here in mountains, it is very easy to rack up a lot of infractions, like passing on a double yellow.
The NC state wide speed limit is 55mph, but most tourist are going 30mph there are no passing zones. Are you going to follow or pass?
vernvernvern likes this.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 8:23 am

Garage

Quote:
Dang! How old are you?
In the seventies there was a TV show called Hawaii Five-O. It was a police detective show. This show was resurrected a few years ago.
Slang for the police is Five-O.
If a police officer stops you for speeding and sees a camera, he is allowed to view the footage on the camera...
Here in mountains, it is very easy to rack up a lot of infractions, like passing on a double yellow.
The NC state wide speed limit is 55mph, but most tourist are going 30mph there are no passing zones. Are you going to follow or pass?
I can't speak for JNW003, but I knew what you meant by Five-O, had no idea what you meant about keeping the camera hidden. Here in GA we don't have that law. I do ride in NC though, so that's good to know. I don't ride with a Go Pro, but I know a few guys who do and I'll pass it on.

2000 R1100RT
post #6 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 8:41 am

In reference to cameras please do me a favor. If you post a video of you riding somewhere, please edit it. It floors me how many guys post beautiful scenic twisting road riding videos with no subtitles or voice overs telling you where they are or whats going on. Also thirty minutes of watching someones endless riding is way to long and after two minutes I click off, boring! Granted it is a lot of work to get lots of interesting shots and add commentary but without it you only need to post two minutes of just riding footage. What makes an interesting video besides the voice over is the different shots. Setting the camera on the road for a ride bys, showing rear facing shots, moving camera to different positions on the bike and doing panaramic shots of the scenery make the video a winner. I just saw a drone commercial that will automatically follow you and the camera stays trained on you where ever you go, would that be cool to ride the bike with a drone shooting from above as you ride a mountain road. I'm sure that would create many problems, trees, cops, people crashing as they pass you by staring at the UFO following the motorcycle, but that would be a cool video.

Ok enough ranting just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the matter.

Whiskey and OrygunRT like this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #7 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 8:49 am

I don't normally mount a camera to an LT... It is just too slow.
But here is an example of one of my VFRs.
When I get stopped the helmet goes on top of the camera and the gloves go on the radar detector.
Knock on wood, I have never been stopped thanks to the radar detector.

Kind of the same thing on the 848.
Helmet comes off and goes on the camera mount and gloves go over the detector.

Visit
post #8 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 9:33 am

Garage

Amen to Norton's comments. It's absolutely crazy how many people post videos of their rides and it's 30 minutes of starting at the road passing by and the sound of an engine running or some retarded techno music.

2000 R1100RT
post #9 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 9:50 am

Pretty sure the drone couldn't keep up...
pkpr1998 likes this.

Visit
post #10 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 10:41 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I like the idea of a small drone set to automatically follow your route. But I do have some questions.

How much weight could such a drone carry?

What does a small camera weigh?

Could I get a small screen tied to that camera in real time and mount it on the bike?

How much does a V1 weigh?

That sure does raise some interesting possibilities . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
In reference to cameras please do me a favor. If you post a video of you riding somewhere, please edit it. It floors me how many guys post beautiful scenic twisting road riding videos with no subtitles or voice overs telling you where they are or whats going on. Also thirty minutes of watching someones endless riding is way to long and after two minutes I click off, boring! Granted it is a lot of work to get lots of interesting shots and add commentary but without it you only need to post two minutes of just riding footage. What makes an interesting video besides the voice over is the different shots. Setting the camera on the road for a ride bys, showing rear facing shots, moving camera to different positions on the bike and doing panaramic shots of the scenery make the video a winner. I just saw a drone commercial that will automatically follow you and the camera stays trained on you where ever you go, would that be cool to ride the bike with a drone shooting from above as you ride a mountain road. I'm sure that would create many problems, trees, cops, people crashing as they pass you by staring at the UFO following the motorcycle, but that would be a cool video.

Ok enough ranting just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the matter.

Those are some great ideas! Have you ever edited video? I have created many videos and it can easily take at least 1 hour per finished minute to create what you are talking about. Add in some more things to make it interesting and it can be 2-3+ hours per finished minute of video. That's not counting the time to shoot the multiple angles, especially if you have only 1 camera.

Great ideas though and maybe I will give them a try some time. I have a GoPro and like it a lot. If the lighting is good, some good amateur video can be captured with the new iPhones as well. I have video from dives in Hawaii i still need to work on and edit but don't have the time...ugh.
post #12 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
I like the idea of a small drone set to automatically follow your route. But I do have some questions.

How much weight could such a drone carry?

What does a small camera weigh?

Could I get a small screen tied to that camera in real time and mount it on the bike?

How much does a V1 weigh?

That sure does raise some interesting possibilities . . .
All of that can be done if price is no object. A custom high quality drone can start at about $2,500 - then, start adding on the elements you want on it.
post #13 of 27 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 8:07 pm

If anybody wants to go cheap I just picked one up from Walmart on sale or clearance them out for 35 dollars its a Air Pro HD Sports Video Camera its is good durable water proof From what little I been playing with its great picture and vid going to mount it to my helmet Its the blue and black one its HP 1080 Its a metal barrel one ,waterproof to 30ft. Dimensions 4.25 by 1.57 round
Just throwing it out there

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Dec 6th, 2015 at 8:16 pm.
post #14 of 27 Old Dec 7th, 2015, 10:57 am

Quote:
Pretty sure the drone couldn't keep up...
Actually drones can do most typical road speed limits. obviously wind, trees, trucks, signs, wires and many other issues would make this a difficult task. Also regarding the one I saw advertised on TV, I did not get the manufacturers name to check out the drones specification but wonder if it could follow a bike at 50 or 60 mph which is a typical twisty road speed. the other issue is that the FAA is working on limitations which will be placed on drones. Also privacy concerns are probably gong to cause additional restrictions and the liability if the drone hurts someone or damages property. They are cool but with all that said I'll do with out one.

Scott
2007 LT
post #15 of 27 Old Dec 7th, 2015, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Those are some great ideas! Have you ever edited video? I have created many videos and it can easily take at least 1 hour per finished minute to create what you are talking about. Add in some more things to make it interesting and it can be 2-3+ hours per finished minute of video. That's not counting the time to shoot the multiple angles, especially if you have only 1 camera.

Great ideas though and maybe I will give them a try some time. I have a GoPro and like it a lot. If the lighting is good, some good amateur video can be captured with the new iPhones as well. I have video from dives in Hawaii i still need to work on and edit but don't have the time...ugh.
I have watched way to many you tube videos and have never edited because I do not own a go pro or the like, but I do realize editing is a lot of work from comments the videographers have stated on how time consuming it is. I only know when you watch a video that someone took the time to think it out and edit they can be very entertaining and even inspiring.

Scott
2007 LT
post #16 of 27 Old Dec 7th, 2015, 1:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There are a couple of drone packages that follow the action. Here's one

https://www.airdog.com/

https://www.airdog.com/community/moto-enduro/

Also saw a demo where it can come along side . . great for water sports but not for moto tracking.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #17 of 27 Old Dec 7th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Those are really cool videos from the drone. Battery life is short. And, those great roads winding through the trees won't work at all. Want to fly the little drone in the video in a 15+mph wind and forget about it. You will be walking through the fields looking for your drone, trying to figure out when it quit following you. The good news: the technology is progressing fast and hopefully in a few years a viable option will be available.

I was in Shenzhen, China this summer at a massive technology building. I was talking with a young man who works for a big tech company building drones, while visiting a booth selling all the parts to build your own drones. Another guy from India was there in the conversation and had visited a drone production facility that morning that creates high dollar drones starting at about $5,000 for the basics. It was an interesting conversation.

My drone got caught in a nice 30mph gust and went to visit my neighbors dog. I kept looking at the camera to try to find it with no luck. Turns out the dog decided to eat the drone and chewed into a mangle mess...lol

Last edited by guitarjim; Dec 7th, 2015 at 10:26 pm.
post #18 of 27 Old Dec 7th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Not sure of what states allow a LEO to look at your video footage without legitimate probable cause.

If you are riding the twisties and riding like an idiot, excessive speed, passing in an unsafe manner, or menacing other drivers and/or riders who don't share your view of how the road should be used, then shame on you. The camera may be what lets your family know how you died. I hope it does not happen to you this way, and if it does, I pray that you don't take anyone with you as you deepen the gene pool.

Personally, I like the GoPro because of the availability of accessories, mounts, etc for it. Image quality is nice. What I don't like about the GoPro is their price-fixing approach to the market. Technically, they don't fix the price, they just exercise their right to sell to only dealers who agree to M.A.P. and other prescribed pricing policies. I have seen this in other industries in the past, SCUBA retail good being one of them. Hate it.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #19 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 2:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Once a year, REI issues a 20% discount for any purchase for it's members. I bought my GoPro Hero 3+ Black for an $80 discount off list price, but verified before the purchase that I could use the discount.

p.s. - I've never heard of LEOs referred to as Five-0's in California. East coast people must have adopted this Hawaiian term....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #20 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 5:39 am

Paul, Thanks for the video find. I find drone video captivating, I guess its mans dream to fly like a bird which as a kid I would dream I was flying quite often. The advancement in technology is amazing and the future will have an explosion of more mind blowing technological advancements. I watched several videos of guys racing drones through abandoned buildings, parking garages and forests wearing video screen googles which give them the sensation of the pod racing like in star wars. The drones reach speeds in excess of 100mph crazy cool stuff.

The first five minutes of this video below shows the capabilities of the drone to follow a vehicle but is being flown by the dude in the vehicle. Now they need to figure out how to follow and avoid objects. The girl is cute anyway.

Scott
2007 LT
post #21 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 9:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

My company has applied to the FAA for a special permit to allow a drone to be used with HD video, photography & IR capabilities. We are involved with a segment of the construction industry related to building sciences related moisture thermal envelope anamolies. In Canada we have authorization to have our "licensed" pilot set up a drone scan of specific urban or suburban building terrains to use as a very sophistical diagnostic tool.

Our drones costs in excess of $100K and are set up not only with GPS nav but also with perimeter defining beacons that limit the flight path. The drone is launched within the defined area of the filed flight plan and then self navigates by a serpentine pattern over the building's elevation capturing first daylight video and still photography. Later at night, thermal anomalies are scanned with the IR camera. If low battery warnings "sound" the drone will return to the point of take-off avoiding obstacles.

Sensors and software for obstacle avoidance is in development so that the drone will not crash into a wall or other obstacle of a higher altitude within the flight plan.

Later a software package can convert the data to a scaled CAD drawing to develop recommendations for the building owner(s).

Drones can also scan building walls for thermal leakage and structural defects safely. An engineering firm had to use bosun chairs and iPads to survey the earthquake damage to the Washington Monument. It would have been safer to use drones but they are restricted in D.C.

Currently the FAA will not allow night flights nor flights where the drone is not in visual contact with the pilot.

I have a video but it is a commercial product and not appropriate for this website. If interested Google: SkyBEAM Arial Mapping

Unfortunately there have been many reported dangerous issues with drones. Recently in the UK a child was blinded by a toy drone that sliced the baby's eye. it could not be saved. Also there are claims of privacy violations and drones short out of the sky with shotguns.

More to come, I am sure!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #22 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 11:23 am

that kind of stuff really interests me if I was starting a career again I would get into the drones thanks for the info
post #23 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2015, 11:17 am

Drones are a lot of fun, but it is an expensive hobby. A good quality drone with HD video capability starts around$1000-1400. As high capacity batteries only permit 20 minutes or less of flight time, consider the purchase of extra [email protected] $150 each. Finally, consider that if you are new to drones, you will likely either crash your drone into a tree, a building, or the ground within the first few days or weeks of learning to fly. Repairs are expensive and can cost up to 50% or more of the price of the drone, depending on the extent of the damage. Finally, consider that most of the popular drones sold by either DJI or 3DR, have been known to just fly away into the wild blue yonder. Don't ask me how I know all this, but it this the voice of experience. A friend of mine is now on his 4th DJI Inspire 1. Base price of these babies are around $3500. One flew into the ocean and sunk. The second flew away after losing radio communication with the controller. His third crashed and the repair cost was$2500, so he just bought a fourth and used the crashed drone for spare parts.
Not to discourage anyone from taking up the hobby, as it is a lot of fun, but be prepared for the total costs, not just the initial investment.
Also be aware that the FAA will likely soon be requiring that all drones be registered for regulatory and enforcement purposes, as there are many stupid folk out there who insist on flying their drones near airports or into airline flight paths.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #24 of 27 Old Dec 9th, 2015, 10:11 pm

I bought the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced model from B & H Photo. So far, so good. I'm still learning the ropes. I have not moved into the advanced flight modes, since it is supposed to become my Christmas present if it survives until then. It's super easy to fly and calibrate.

Eventually, I'll take it through the Adirondacks on a little "follow-me flight" or two. Photography is one of my hobbies and I purchased it for that reason. I don't intend to use it as a toy to fly at high speeds through tight quarters and over large crowds, etc. Cost was $850 as an open box item.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #25 of 27 Old Dec 10th, 2015, 5:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht View Post
I bought the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced model from B & H Photo. So far, so good. I'm still learning the ropes. I have not moved into the advanced flight modes, since it is supposed to become my Christmas present if it survives until then. It's super easy to fly and calibrate.

Eventually, I'll take it through the Adirondacks on a little "follow-me flight" or two. Photography is one of my hobbies and I purchased it for that reason. I don't intend to use it as a toy to fly at high speeds through tight quarters and over large crowds, etc. Cost was $850 as an open box item.
Before you take it onto the mountains, become proficient in flying in non-GPS, or ati-mode. When you have a weak GPS or lose the GPS link
altogether, flying by the seat of your pants is the only thing that will save the toy, er, I mean your flying camera platform.
cealbrecht likes this.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #26 of 27 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 5:47 am

I was able to get out and play with my new camera yesterday. The drones can easily keep up at speeds under 35mph.
Anything above that speed will probably outrun it on a straight away.

The DJI Phantom 3 will fit in the empty top case without taking anything apart. The battery is good for about 18 minutes of safe, usable flight time in light winds.

Set the altitude above the local tree height and go...170ft in my case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #27 of 27 Old Dec 27th, 2015, 8:07 am

I have a Yuneec Q500 and they are a lot of fun to fly. It has the Follow Me feature and comes home when out of range or it loses contact for any other reason. The video is fantastic. They get a lot of bad press because of morons. The rules so far are just basic dos and don'ts. They are getting cheaper but many think they are for spying. So don't fly near a stash house..........
cealbrecht likes this.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Tags
camera, gift ideas, mounts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in