• 1 Post By silverlt2002
  • 1 Post By cws
  • 1 Post By Whiskey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Brake Pads options.

Hello everyone,

This is for a 1999 K1200LT Bike.

It is time to replace the front brake pads.

I noticed (On both Rotors) that the rear pads are more worn out than the Front pads....is there a reason why ?

Shouldn't both pads on each Rotor wear out equally?

Second question:

I bought a pair of EBC Sintered pads, the place had only one pair.

I need of course another pair since the front takes 4 pads.

On ebay there are some Semi Metalic and Some Carbon/Kevlar pads Made in China that fits the bike at 1/4 the the price of the EBC Pads.

Should I buy a pair of these (and if so, is semi metalic better or is Carbon/Kevlar pads better), and mix them with the EBC ones I already bought ?

If so, should I put one EBC pad on each Rotor and one pad from the other brand ?

I guess the same questions would apply to the rear....should I buy the Chinese made ones for the Rear brakes?

Thank you for your help.

Always grateful.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Re: Brake Pads options.

I would not mix the pads it would not be a good Idea and as far as the rear pads wearing out faster than the fronts that is pretty normal
I would just stick with the EBC

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 12:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If when you say the "rear" pads you mean the "inner" pads, then that is normal. The LT uses a fixed caliper and a floating rotor. The inner pads will always wear faster than the outer ones because of this. I have gone through three sets or rear wheel brake pads and am still on the original front wheel set with 98k on the bike.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Personally I love the EBC HH pads. They wear well and provide very consistent braking. Do not mix pairs of pads on the front. As to the wear you are experiencing, the rears definitely wear out faster than the front. You only have one disk on the rear and two on the front and most of us also tend to use the rear brake a bit more than the front for parking lot maneuvers and to slow through a corner when we enter too fast.
Whiskey likes this.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Garage

Another vote for the EBC HH pads. You definitely don't want to mix up the pads on the front. Wouldn't hurt to have a different type on the rear, but you want both sides on the front to be the same type and change them at the same time.

2000 R1100RT
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 9:04 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Why would it make any difference at all if you mix pads on the front or rear. It's not like it can pull one direction or the other when you stop.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 10:42 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Why would it make any difference at all if you mix pads on the front or rear. It's not like it can pull one direction or the other when you stop.
Dave, not sure if exactly same applies, however similar story...
I got 2 new EBC discs (from the US) for the front wheel.... both labelled the same part number... on opening the hole patterns were different. Installed them anyway since it wasn't really an option to ship back to the US. Noticed a defined judder on hard braking which hadn't been there with the OEM discs.
Contacted EBC in the UK, they said that the discs need to be identical (and therefore I would assume the pad materials). Apparently I'd received an odd shipment from an early batch of new design/material , plus an older one.
They shipped me 2 x new discs of updated design/material finish at no charge.
Once installed the shudder under braking was gone.

So for my 2c, best to keep everything matched.
Patric likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know but the opinion seems to be that it does make a difference.

Paying $80 for front brake pads seems excessive to me, they are not made out of Gold so I don't know why they are expensive.

There are those pads from china online for $10 shipping included, just not sure how good they are.

Anyone knows?
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 12:19 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post

Paying $80 for front brake pads seems excessive to me, they are not made out of Gold so I don't know why they are expensive.

There are those pads from china online for $10 shipping included, just not sure how good they are.

Anyone knows?
When the texting teenager pulls out in front of you, do you want $10 pads stopping you?

The other side to that I have found over the years is that the cheap pads tend to eat rotors like candy. You'll find that you lose most of your brake pad savings to replacing rotors. YMMV. I'm a cheapskate and save wherever I can, but there are some places I won't go cheap, brake pads are one of them.
Patric likes this.

2000 R1100RT
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Quote:
I agree that you are probably not going to notice much if you have a different brand or compound of pads on the front and rear, however, if you mix the pads on the two front rotors (two sets of pads) you are going to get a different amount of friction side to side which will cause a condition that feels like a wheel imbalance when you try to brake. Depending on how much difference there is between the two sets of pads it can become dangerous under hard braking.

In my opinion brakes are something I never skimp on when it comes to maintenance. I may not buy the most expensive parts on the market as I don't run this bike on a track, but I make sure I buy good quality every single time.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 9th, 2015, 5:22 pm
Enjoy The Ride

When I ride in the mountains I have EBC HH brake pads on. When riding near home I put the thickest pads I have from working on other LT's & I don't care what brand they are. I've mixed BMW OEM pads, Carbone Lorraine pads & EBC HH pads & the LT isn't smart enough to know the difference. In my opinion the EBC HH pads stop better than the other two brand of pads I have used.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002 View Post
I agree that you are probably not going to notice much if you have a different brand or compound of pads on the front and rear, however, if you mix the pads on the two front rotors (two sets of pads) you are going to get a different amount of friction side to side which will cause a condition that feels like a wheel imbalance when you try to brake. Depending on how much difference there is between the two sets of pads it can become dangerous under hard braking.
I guess a bike with only one front disk must be downright suicidal then as you have zero friction on one side.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 14 Old Dec 12th, 2015, 11:24 am

Hey;

I have tried many types. IMHO only, just my style of riding. EBC dont care for, BMW very good but $$$$$, carbone lorraine Excellent,
Ferodos by far my favorite. great in the rain, hard to find, but worth the search. But i run thru fronts ALOT faster than rear. dont use it much unless im 2 up. Again just me style.
ONLY MY OPINION.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post

Anyone knows?
I ended up paying $175 for Brembos (front only) from the local stealership. i did the install too. Guess I feel better knowing they are OEM, but will go with EBC for the rear when needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in