In need of LT Speakers. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 4:13 am Thread Starter

In need of LT Speakers.

Hi guys. does anyone know if our LT speakers match to any BMW car speakers? there is a used parts dealer here and brings stuff like these, speakers, radios etc from used cars. I hope there is a match so I get away cheap with the 4 speakers.
The last owner had the ambition of making a "loud" sound system so he used attenuators on the normal outputs to make a Line-out signal and connected it to a 4 ch*45W RMS STEG amplifier. At this size he could not get speakers able to handle the amplifier output and shorted one channel output and all speakers were overheated resulting too much distortion.
I removed all the junk he put in and connected the original way. Three speakers work but only at low volume so I can't really enjoy music while riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 4:46 am

Garage
Re: In need of LT Speakers.

think you will find the radio is stuffed, have you tried another speaker any type of speaker should be able to be used to test it, they are nothing special just not made of paper. so water proof.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
think you will find the radio is stuffed, have you tried another speaker any type of speaker should be able to be used to test it, they are nothing special just not made of paper. so water proof.
Thanks Linton, I did not think of it, I will give it a try with other speakers although my 28 years experience as an electronics repair technician on electronic devices(car and home audio, VCRs, TVs, Satellite sets etc.) tells me that the speakers are bad.
Can you please explain me what do you mean by saying "stuffed radio"?

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 10:53 am

Cool Re: In need of LT Speakers.

Your experience tells you that you get what you pay for in electronics items and parts. In a 5 1/4" speaker one would replace with a quality upgrade in Infinity, JBL, Kenwood Exelon and many other high end speakers with a good SPL. As a treasure hunter I also find good buys on close outs online. This is a great winter project and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Highway speeds are quite loud but I enjoy the radio at slower speeds. Harmanaudio.com and harmanaudio Ebay are a good place to find sales. Good luck.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.

Last edited by Moogie; Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:17 am.
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Well, Moogie, you are right on what experience tells but for the bike speakers they were installed on the used bike I bought. There was no chance of choosing these. The point is that I need to find new ones on the 5" and 1/4" dimension.
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosK1200LT View Post
Thanks Linton, I did not think of it, I will give it a try with other speakers although my 28 years experience as an electronics repair technician on electronic devices(car and home audio, VCRs, TVs, Satellite sets etc.) tells me that the speakers are bad.
Can you please explain me what do you mean by saying "stuffed radio"?
Stuffed - Bad, fried, toast, FUBARed, crapped out, blown, generally non-operable.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Someone replaced mine with Alpine...
They sound pretty good.

You can't go wrong if you install any marine grade speaker.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Garage

amplifier seems to be a common failure do a search on radio, or scroll to the very bottom of the page it has links on what you want to know. I copied this out of one of them Alpine SPS-13C2 5.25" 350 watt 2-way, aim-able tweeters, poly cones (not affected by water, but don't soak 'em).

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Sounds like a good time to run a cost comparison of replacing your speakers VS buying an up to date Bluetooth Com system.
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Sounds like a good time to run a cost comparison of replacing your speakers VS buying an up to date Bluetooth Com system.
Nikos, I absolutely agree with Guitarjim. Even when the stereo is working well, it is still very hard to hear anything at highway speed and tends to be annoying to other vehicles around you in traffic. Get a bluetooth intercom system for your helmet so you can either connect to your phone or other music device by bluetooth or by direct wire. You get all the advantages of being able to talk to your passenger comfortably, answer your phone while riding, hear GPS instructions from a bluetooth capable GPS, and you aren't blasting your music to the whole world. I bought a two unit Sena SMH-10 set (for me and the wife) for less than $300 and I haven't turned on the built-in stereo on the bike in 3 years. Very happy and much more reliable than trying to fix a barely adequate stereo.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Garage

I use a Scala Rider G9 for music/phone/GPS and it works great. No loss at any speed. The only downside to it is that all of the steady Bluetooth streaming does wear the battery out in the headset. I've had it die on me when riding longer trips. It does run a good 8 or 10 hours though.

2000 R1100RT
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 1:52 am

I have an 02 I'm parting out that had 8k miles on it.... I have the speakers I could sell you.... Let me know and I can send you pics of them
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2016, 10:13 pm

To anyone thinking upgrading the radio. I recently purchased my 06 LT and the radio had issues, some speakers didnt work and it was difficult to seek radio stations. I purchased a Pioneer DEH-X6710BT and changed out the rear speakers to Sony 5 1/'4, 4 way's. I wasn't able to swap out the front speakers due to fact I would've had to remove more hardware... The speakers were fine anyways and sounded great.. Once the radio was installed I added a cell phone holder thats sits right above the stingray. The phone (Android) is paired via bluetooth to the radio. Whats also great Pioneer has a Free App so you control the radio directly from the phone. Plus I paired my Helmet via Sena Bluetooth so I can listen to the radio/cd or talk on my cell. I'll add some photo's later. Removing the tuperware and reinstalling wasnt as bad as I thought. Now I feel more confident to work on my own bike..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in